It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail theft at all time high

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
So what's a person supposed to do when they're bombarded all day and night long with advertisements and other media that tell me I have to own this particular brand of shoes or this watch or this phone to be cool or I'm a worthless piece of crap? Just not get them? That's commie talk.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I know of one person that had to move out of town because of shoplifting.

He had literally been trust passed at every store in town to the point that he could not buy food to eat, buy medications he needed or car parts for his car.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Lady that works at the gas station said some ladies kids were stuffing their pockets with candy bars. The cashier said to her hey your kids a stealing. Her reply was my kids wouldn't do dat.

The stores around here don't let more then 2 students in at a time. They'll steal anything not bolted down.
edit on 12-12-2019 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2019 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Lady that works at the gas station said some ladies kids were stuffing their pockets with candy bars. The cashier said to her hey your kids a stealing. Her reply was my kids wouldn't do dat.

The stores around here don't let more then 2 students in at a time. They'll steal anything not bolted down.

Really weird that you posted that.

Years and years ago I was with family in a convenience store. The gas station lady accused a family member of shoplifting.
My mom made the relative turn all their pockets out. There was nothing in them. Not sure about the kids in your story, but sometimes gas station ladies are wrong.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Years and years ago I was with family in a convenience store. The gas station lady accused a family member of shoplifting.
My mom made the relative turn all their pockets out. There was nothing in them. Not sure about the kids in your story, but sometimes gas station ladies are wrong.
I'm 2 blocks north of Detroit. I've talked to this lady every day for 20 years. I doubt she's making it up. I've talked to other in the area too. There is a crime wave sweeping over the suburbs right now. I see it every day in the news. I've lived here 43 years. I've been robbed and shot at. I know people that have been stabbed at that same gas station. I've seen it all around here and it's only gotten worse the past 10 years.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

It's too bad what happened to Detroit. I love old houses and that area had/has some of the most beautiful in America. Just like Milwaukee, it's too bad all the crime and idiots ruin it. Now it seems a lot of this low level crime is going mainstream.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Driving to our area from South Bend to break into cars at night. I have cameras watching my cameras and our cars are inside. Buttgig is out of the mayor of South Bend but his people are big on crime.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Yeah a lot of those old buildings and houses have some cool architecture. I thought about buying one of those old houses on a vacated street and turning it into a fortress.

There are parts of Detroit where there are multi million dollar mansions 1/2 a mile away from the hood. It goes from rich to poor in the blink of an eye. I'm talking about the city of Grosse Point and Detroit.

A lot of people don't realize Detroit and it's suburbs span 50 miles across. It's only the inner city that looks like an apocalyptic war zone. My grand parents lived down there as kids. When the riots happened in the 60's white people left.

Not that long ago Detroit was the most segregated city in America.

We had a Democratic governor back in the early 2000's. She opened all the school districts up. Any kid could go to any district they wanted. The kids would walk out of Detroit to go to school here. Unfortunately the crime and drugs followed. This house went from being worth $100,000 to 30,000 and the price is dropping by the year.

The school I went to was one of the best schools around when I was a kid. Now kids are stabbing each other in class and a girl got raped in the stairwell.

I'm here to help my grandmother and when she's gone I'm going to the upper peninsula. I've had enough of the indigenous people from the hood. They're coming out here and shooting at each other. Robbing every store that stays open after dark. The schools are being flooded with heroin.

I'm out of here first chance I get.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Then we hear complaints about food "deserts" because grocery stores can't keep shoplifting down enough to make any profits. When I lived in Richmond we had a young entrepreneur who liberated local food deserts with 3 grocery stores. Less than 5 years and millions of $ lost they all closed. Don't complain when it's the actions of your own community that results in this.
On the bright side Richmond spent $2 1/2 million to create a statue showing a young black man on a horse. Now on display at the VMFA. bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com... image.jpg

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I can't find the article. Just recently there was a local gas station in a bad part of Milwaukee/ or near there.
It has had several thefts/shootings. The people want the gas station removed because they believe that is what is causing crime in the area.
I have to laugh. No dummies, the gas station sells gas and goodies, it's people doing the illegal deeds.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It should be noted that while retail theft may be high, crime of all other kinds has been declining steadily for a while now, and crime rates are lower than they've been in decades.

Increased security measures, fewer young people with sticky fingers (or even going outside), readily available legal weed, nothing worth stealing or fencing for drugs, no way to easily steal car radios, etc.

Having worked in retail, I gathered that sometimes having an item stolen will make the store more money than if nobody bought it and they had to ship it to a clearance store like Ross, or TJ Maxx, or Burlington, etc.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I'm 2 blocks north of Detroit. I've talked to this lady every day for 20 years. I doubt she's making it up. I've talked to other in the area too. There is a crime wave sweeping over the suburbs right now. I see it every day in the news. I've lived here 43 years. I've been robbed and shot at. I know people that have been stabbed at that same gas station. I've seen it all around here and it's only gotten worse the past 10 years.

100% correct there's a crime wave in the suburbs. Besides the heroin gang that goes around committing grand theft, we have had bad experiences. One neighbor had two men get into his car while it was stopped, one in the front and the other in the back. They got out when he pulled a weapon. Another guy was at McDonald's waiting for his meal. A dude came up, intimated he had a gun in his pocket....going to rob of money or the car? Kidnap? Who knows. He left when that neighbor pulled a gun. My husband had two men flank him at a gas station, blading off. That stopped when he told them their day would not end well. He wins shooting contests regularly. He didn't pull a weapon nor did he mention one, but I guess they figured it out. They thought because he was older and alone, he'd be an easy mark. Wrong.

So yeah, it's bad. Everyone here knows it has gotten worse in the last 3 - 4 years. We think it's because addiction and the crimes that come with it are being treated as a diseases versus criminal conduct. If it were up to me, we wouldn't Narcan a single one of them. I have had it with ourselves and our neighbors being victimized.

edit on 13-12-2019 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   

a reply to: Asktheanimals

I can't find the article. Just recently there was a local gas station in a bad part of Milwaukee/ or near there.
It has had several thefts/shootings. The people want the gas station removed because they believe that is what is causing crime in the area.
I have to laugh. No dummies, the gas station sells gas and goodies, it's people doing the illegal deeds.

Gas stations are dangerous. See above post.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
It should be noted that while retail theft may be high, crime of all other kinds has been declining steadily for a while now, and crime rates are lower than they've been in decades.

Increased security measures, fewer young people with sticky fingers (or even going outside), readily available legal weed, nothing worth stealing or fencing for drugs, no way to easily steal car radios, etc.

Having worked in retail, I gathered that sometimes having an item stolen will make the store more money than if nobody bought it and they had to ship it to a clearance store like Ross, or TJ Maxx, or Burlington, etc.

I think the PD's and government must be massaging the statistics, because that's not what people on the ground are experiencing at all.....both citizens and cops on patrol.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Police told Walmart to stop calling for thefts.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Yeah a lot of those old buildings and houses have some cool architecture. I thought about buying one of those old houses on a vacated street and turning it into a fortress.

There are parts of Detroit where there are multi million dollar mansions 1/2 a mile away from the hood. It goes from rich to poor in the blink of an eye. I'm talking about the city of Grosse Point and Detroit.

A lot of people don't realize Detroit and it's suburbs span 50 miles across. It's only the inner city that looks like an apocalyptic war zone. My grand parents lived down there as kids. When the riots happened in the 60's white people left.

Not that long ago Detroit was the most segregated city in America.

We had a Democratic governor back in the early 2000's. She opened all the school districts up. Any kid could go to any district they wanted. The kids would walk out of Detroit to go to school here. Unfortunately the crime and drugs followed. This house went from being worth $100,000 to 30,000 and the price is dropping by the year.

The school I went to was one of the best schools around when I was a kid. Now kids are stabbing each other in class and a girl got raped in the stairwell.

I'm here to help my grandmother and when she's gone I'm going to the upper peninsula. I've had enough of the indigenous people from the hood. They're coming out here and shooting at each other. Robbing every store that stays open after dark. The schools are being flooded with heroin.

I'm out of here first chance I get.

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and how things have changed.

Thanks for taking care of your grandmother.
You're a good person.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Its not really a bad thing. The wealth disparity of the world is at an all time high. I dont see politicans addressing this issues. Its simply a symptom of a very unbalanced world.

posted on Dec, 22 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I like to reminisce about growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, when stealing was considered bad! Haha, we had some funny notions back then, when we were less enlightened.

If someone figures out there are no consequences for shoplifting, won’t he continue stealing and perhaps move on to worse crimes? I find it dismaying that so many people — including district attorneys! — are willing to let thievery go completely unpunished. One more indicator that our society is going downhill fast.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

It's virtually legal in L.A. now if you keep the value under $950 a day -

Los Angeles City Attorney: Petty Crimes are Now LEGAL in Our City

Hard to imagine how we could have fallen this far

Yup, thanks to those who voted for Prop 47 a few years ago. Under $950, just a misdemeanor citation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join