It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail theft at all time high

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.facebook.com...

I don't know what happened, but sometime in the last 5 or so years retail theft changed. It appears that
there is little to no punishment for retail theft anymore. Shoplifting is everywhere and it is openly done and very brazen.
The thieves know there is no punishment so they are going crazy (at least here) Store workers aren't allowed to stop anything.
Look at this video, this guy has so many coats he can barely carry them. He even drops them and picks them up, and is off on his merry way.
Nobody does anything....

We all know who this hurts, we are all paying for this (except the guy in the video).

It is almost humorous how this is a daily occurrence now. Seriously, a daily occurrence. I don't even know why they show videos anymore. It's not as if there is any true punishment for these types of crimes.

Is this just our area or is this happening everywhere?

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It's up 12% in beifast it's down to heroin tho it's everywhere the tramps..

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Except we aren't paying for this. Maybe in a small store, but for large stores, they're paying $5.00 for an item that retails for $100.00+.

Stores get worked up about retail theft at Christmas every single year in hopes it will scare thieves into not doing it, it's propaganda in a way.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Wasn't this another one of those changes because they "found" it disproportionately affected minority or vulnerable groups. So instead of trying to fix it they just decided to stop enforcing it.

That's such a great way to confront issues.

(post by toysforadults removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Except we aren't paying for this. Maybe in a small store, but for large stores, they're paying $5.00 for an item that retails for $100.00+.

Not even close. Large stores operate on very tight profit margins due to competition, and rely heavily on volume. The theft of an item usually results in the store having to sell 10 or more of that item to make up the loss.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Stores get worked up about retail theft at Christmas every single year in hopes it will scare thieves into not doing it, it's propaganda in a way.

It's not just Christmas. It's not just $5.00. When there is a lot of theft at stores it scares away regular customers, that is real profit.
There are so many people complaining about food deserts and retail deserts and wonder why.

www.cnbc.com...

Imagine loading up a cart full of merchandise at a store, and just walking out the door in broad daylight as store employees watch you do it.It’s known as organized retail crime, and it’s a growing trouble for the nation’s retailers. Instead of stealing for personal use, these criminals are part of a larger crime ring. The goods are taken to someone else in exchange for cash, then resold at a pawnshop, online or directly to a buyer.

edit on 10-12-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It's virtually legal in L.A. now if you keep the value under $950 a day -

Los Angeles City Attorney: Petty Crimes are Now LEGAL in Our City

Hard to imagine how we could have fallen this far

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I walked into a pound shop in immigrant central last month, I witnessed 3/4 thefts in about 2 minutes

Unbelievable never seen anything like it, there is no scanner on the way in, only the way out, so they just fill up and walk out the way they came in, pretty funny actually, I was going to shout for the security but I thought I’ll let them learn the hard way for being so stupid

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It seems recently one big issue has the been the large "mobs" or "gangs" of kids that just go into a place of business and decide to tale what they want and ransack the place. It seems like every other month there is a story about that. The issues are drugs and poor parenting as well as lack of accountability. If the penalty were more sever I bet a lot of this would stop quick.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

I think this is why pretty soon stores will be all online.

Yes I agree, we have fallen a very long way. People have NO SHAME whatsoever. Most people can't tell right from wrong anymore. One of the shocking things from the many, many many many FB postings of these shopliftings is the people cheering these shoplifters on. Or the apathy (as seen even here on this thread!)
One guy recently stole 20 cans of infant formula. People said it was ok if he was feeding a baby... How naive. No baby needs 20 cans, but either a drug dealer or re-seller would!

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Theft isn't killing retail stores and creating food deserts. Joblessness and poverty creates food deserts. Online shopping is killing box stores.

Everyone who is mad about retail theft at big box stores is really eating up the propaganda soup. All hail your real government in the US... big business.

These businesses are making insane profits, paying top level employees millions, and low level employees nothing. They have a theft budget. They have insurance for large thefts. They aren't struggling because of theft.

Smaller businesses, yes, sure.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Theft isn't killing retail stores and creating food deserts. Joblessness and poverty creates food deserts. Online shopping is killing box stores.

Everyone who is mad about retail theft at big box stores is really eating up the propaganda soup. All hail your real government in the US... big business.

These businesses are making insane profits, paying top level employees millions, and low level employees nothing. They have a theft budget. They have insurance for large thefts. They aren't struggling because of theft.

Smaller businesses, yes, sure.

Please tell me where I said it was hurting businesses or CEO's? I clearly said we are paying for it. In the form of higher prices. That is a fact. Where do you think that "theft budget" come from? Here's a hint, it's not from the CEO's bonus!

& you are wrong about food deserts...
edit on 10-12-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: underpass61

I think this is why pretty soon stores will be all online.

Yes I agree, we have fallen a very long way. People have NO SHAME whatsoever. Most people can't tell right from wrong anymore. One of the shocking things from the many, many many many FB postings of these shopliftings is the people cheering these shoplifters on. Or the apathy (as seen even here on this thread!)
One guy recently stole 20 cans of infant formula. People said it was ok if he was feeding a baby... How naive. No baby needs 20 cans, but either a drug dealer or re-seller would!

How can you be so blind to not see what's really happening there?

People aren't charged for these petty crimes because it costs the stores more to go to court than it does to replace the stolen items. It's not about morality, it's just a money game, and the only way it's affecting you personally, is that you seem freaked out about it.

Theft and crime has always happened, even more than it does today. Nothing has gone downhill.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

How can you be so blind to not see what's really happening there?

Sure theft has always happened, but it has not happened at these numbers. That is not some propaganda, that is fact.

Theft and crime has always happened, even more than it does today. Nothing has gone downhill.

Prices are higher and climbing. Some of that is inflation/trade wars etc, but some of it is the burden of theft placed on the consumer. As theft grows, prices will grow even higher. The cost of shoplifting is always passed onto the consumer. To me that is going downhill.

crimedoctor.com...

Shoplifting Facts: Real Cost of Retail Theft
Theft from stores, including employee and vendor theft, cost retailers many billions of dollars per year. Independent retail studies* have estimated theft from retail stores costs the American public 33.21 billion dollars per year. Depending on the type of retail store, retail inventory loss ranges from .7%-2.2% of gross sales with the average falling around 1.70%. Whole retail store chains have gone out of business due to their inability to control retail theft losses. And worse yet, the cost of these losses are passed on to us…the consumer.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Last I checked this topic out employee theft was a bigger problem than shoplifters.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
There was just an article in the paper about the big increase in people being charged with Felonies and other crimes around here, up about fifty percent in the last five years. In the last ten years there was a sharp increase in breaking and entering of homes and robbing of businesses with firearms or knives. The roberies used to be rare. So there have also been some instances of people holding off the cops with firearms, the incidents have been triggered by stupid reasons. Some of the people are trying to get shot by the cops, and it is happening.

This kind of behavior in society is not good. I think parents in the last few generations did not properly punish their kids for taking things and the kids did not learn to respect the rights of others like we were taught to do. This is bad for society, parents are working all the time and leaving the kids in daycare and the kids are not being conditioned right. Spanking is now illegal, timeouts rarely work and sometimes long timeouts are crueler than a little quick spank on the butt.

Look at the increase of crime and shootings in the last five years, it is not going to be good in the future unless drastic action is taken to reunite the people to work together to dissuade this kind of behavior. The Churches did a better job at keeping people in line than what we have now.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I worked at a Walmart when I was about 19. One time during the night shift a guy walked in, pried open the case with all the laptops, loaded up a cart and just casually walked out the door and disappeared with them. Another time when I worked at a Kmart, people would walk in, pick something up and just walk out the door with it, because they knew loss prevention wasn't allowed to stop them. When retail theft is as easy as literally just walking in, picking something up and walking out, you know the people who actually put effort into stealing are stealing much more and getting away with it.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

What large retail chain has closed due to theft?

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Last I checked this topic out employee theft was a bigger problem than shoplifters.

30% of retail theft is internal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join