It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Midwest Grocery chain "Busch's" computer systems hacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Good morning...... Or afternoon, or whatever part of the day you're living in.

As it stands right now, there is absolutely NOTHING *Zip Zero Zilch* in the news regarding this, which is extremely messed up, and the main reason I am posting this. MODS, do with this what you will, as there is no current source for this other than second-hand knowledge, yet it doesn't really qualify as a "Conspiracy" or something to go into the Skunkworks or HOAX bin.

For obvious reasons, I'm not going to state what my name is or what my wife's name is, to ensure her continued employment (she does have a really good job) but I AM going to state a current major issue going on at Busch's Grocery store.

Apparently, as of sometime yesterday, Busch's - which is a continuously growing grocery store exclusive to the midwest, has had their computer systems hacked by an unknown party. This unnamed hacker has demanded a large dollar amount ransom in order to release the system form their control.

From what I'm understanding right now since they aren't a national chain, is they are opting to simply give up their system and start from scratch, as opposed to pay any sort of ransom - apparently, the cost of the ransom is more expensive than the cost of a new system being installed.

The main point I'm trying to get across is primarily to our local members who have ever shopped at this grocery store: their system includes your Credit card and debit card information. If you've worked there recently, your SS number is stored, possibly with your bank information if you have direct deposit set up. If you have one of their rewards cards, your personal information such as your address, email, etc., is also within their system as well; Essentially all of your personal information is being held by a hacker and could be released at any time.

Just thought I would pass the word along, seeing how Buschs' has yet (to my knowledge) contacted any law enforcement, FBI, or anything like that. Literally, I've been hearing about it for two days, the store that my wife works at has been in panic mode (amongst the employees) and not a single peep has been said by the company.
edit on 10-12-2019 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
While not affected personally, this sounds like big news that people deserve to hear about. Thank you for spreading the word.

a reply to: dothedew

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
this is ransomware. It's a bad thing and the perpetrators aren't as interested int he data as they are the bitcoin payout.

en.wikipedia.org...

It happened to the City of Baltimore and several other high profile groups. There are ways to protect against this, but it takes a little money spent on IT, which most companies like to scrimp on that and play fast and loose, hoping bad things don't happen. Amazingly enough, after someone has been hacked like this, they are much more receptive to learning about good IT practices. As an IT professional, I have seen too many times how being cheap can cost you big time.

Sadly, the best way around this right now, is to pay the ransom, and chalk it up to being cheap and getting your ass handed to you. Nobody will find the bad guy, and nothing will happen to them. it sucks, but it's life.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

You're very welcome. I'll give any and all updates that I get, and will definitely post any links once they become available.

Everything I know as of now has come down from management at their main, "Corporate Store", relaying information to the department heads (where the Wife is)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That's more or less what I'm hoping for: this to be a "foot in the door" to disable their systems, and not something allowing them to essentially mine the servers and systems for personal information.

Like always, I'd rather be prepared for the worst and hope for the best

XL5

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If you pay cash where ever you go, you never have to worry about personal info being stolen. That said, never ever pay the hackers, you are just telling them to continue doing what they do.
edit on 10-12-2019 by XL5 because: caps

(post by whydidyoudothis removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Maybe it's not making waves in the news because it's not big enough to warrant some other state. or other in-state area it's not in giving it any time on their news, bud. Just because you work there or your wife works there or your best friend from 1st grade works there doesn't mean it's a recognizable chain anyone outside of your immediate area has ever been to. More like a local chain with some in-state fringe area locations.

JMO as a WEST Michigan-dwelling Midwestern resident who never heard of your store any more than you've heard of the "rising midwest burger joint, Mr Burger" or "rising midwestdiner chain "Russ'" (real chains in W MI, BTW) and googled your store name, only to find out it's limited to Detroit and it's 'burbs.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
ATTENTION!

Posting Personal Information about members is strictly prohibited.

Additional such violations can result in immediate bans. You have been warned.

Do not reply to this message.

TheRedneck
ATS Forum Moderator/Member

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Note to self, never ask for more than its worth.

posted on Dec, 16 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
PLEASE do not unnecessarily freak people out - Busch’s does NOT, nor have they ever, kept customer credit card information. Once an order is filled and paid that information is gone forever. Period. a reply to: dothedew

XL5

posted on Dec, 18 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I am sure they keep all the data they can for marketing and returns.

posted on Dec, 19 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mar0218

Not concerned about the customers at all. It's the employees that should be concerned. 😐

new topics

top topics

join