It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since Feeding the Homeless Is Illegal, Activists Carry AR-15s to Give Out Food, Supplies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Article and video of armed activist feeding those in need

Dallas, TX — Feeding and clothing the homeless in the land of the free has now become a revolutionary act. Luckily, however, there are still good people willing to carry that act out. In December 2014, the Dallas city council enacted Ordinance No. 29595, which makes it illegal to serve food to the homeless without jumping through a statist myriad of bureaucratic hoops, including a fee, training classes, and written notices. One should not need to file multiple forms and pay a fee to obtain a permit to give food to those in need who are willingly ready to accept it. The folks at Don’t Comply know this.

These folks have been doing this for years it seems and this is in my back yard and I never heard about this until today. Amazing effort on their part. The open carry AR-15's make it just too political for the police to swoop in and shut them down. You should not have to pay a fee and jump through a lot of bureaucratic red tape to help people who need assistance. Bravo for them I say.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
eh sorry people are to worried about a person spending 150,000 on a banana taped to a wall to care about any of it... please search again.....

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I get the frustration, but do you consider food safety at all?
Someone with bad intentions could rat poison hundreds of people.
Tainted foods, etc...
Should the homeless get the same protections the general public gets?
Should the sanitary conditions be watched like refrigeration of meats, doneness of meats, etc..
We've all seen the dining horror stories and those are coming from establishments that are monitored.
The gun slit is stupid and good for nobody.
Is their motivation reducing dependency, or increasing safety? Idk
The other equitable option would be to remove the hoops required by restaurants when serving public.
Are these requirements more or less harsh than those imposed on restaurants?
It seems like the homeless are getting to be a big enough number that they could organize an actual food production setup for them.
Be gifted some gov land and grow crops, raise some cattle and process all in one place. Give jobs to some of the homeless to run it.idk

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

I never knew places put ordinance in place to make it difficult to help those in need. Thats awful.

Honestly people could make the argument that they are practicing their religion by helping the helpless and hopeless.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Tainted foods, etc...
Should the sanitary conditions be watched like refrigeration of meats, doneness of meats, etc..
We've all seen the dining horror stories and those are coming from establishments that are monitored.

Yeah you right, it is MUCH better to just let them all starve to death, than to risk they will get sick from the food people are giving them... That doesnt sound stupid at all!

Maybe we should all just stop helping each other at all, much better for everybody.
If I come by a car crash or something, iam in real danger of getting some dissease, what if the person has something in his or hers blood?
If i see an elderly women falling on the sidewalk, i must stop helping them too! What if they havent washed their hands, those old people get the flu vacine for a reason you know!
Cant even call 911, what if some sick weirdo tries to hypnotize me through the phone?

Maybe we should just shoot them all, at a distance offcourse, safety first

What say you oh wise one`?

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Maybe municipalities are concerned that if you feed them they will multiply; not that I would support such an ordinance. It seems like government overreach even if they have the best interests of their community at heart.

edit on 2019/12/10 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Psh
Try re-reading it with your emotions out of it. Try identifying the words used to trigger. It's ultra exaggerated bs.
"A revolutionary act" "a statist myriad of hoops"
In reality it's a fee, a class and a written notice.
A little overboard on the descriptions there.
Again you are too emotional to address my point that serving food to public has proven to need regulated.
I even put forward a possible solution to the issue.
You? Nothing , just a bunch of emotional garbage.
You're going to have to be smarter than that if you want to come sit at the big boy table slick.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I doubt you could get away with having a Hobo House guest. Even if you let them take a shower, get some clean clothes on, then sit down to a meal with them, likely against the law down there in Dallas. Nice southern hospitality you all.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I get the frustration

For who? The homeless person who's starving and impoverished?

Look, I get that there are "food safety" laws and such, for restaurants, but c'mon man. What's next? Requiring a permit for families having a party at a local park, because they're going to serve potato salad and grill some hots and hamburgers? Oh, I forgot, that's not the same thing, so lets go after a 12 year old and their lemonade stand.

The same holds true for someone who feels charitable and decides to order 3 sheet pizzas, who then delivers them to a homeless camp. What's more important, the fact that a kind person is feeding the homeless, or worrying about the "sanitary conditions" of the pizza shop?

Last week, 90-year-old World War II veteran Arnold Abbott made national headlines when he got busted by cops in Fort Lauderdale, Florida twice in one week—for giving out food to homeless people. While serving a public meal on November 2, Abbott told the Sun-Sentinel, “a policeman pulled my arm and said, ‘Drop that plate right now,’ like it was a gun.” Abbott runs a nonprofit group that regularly distributes food in city parks. Because of an ordinance the city passed this October that restricts feeding the homeless in public, his charity work is now potentially illegal.

www.motherjones.com...

These laws are becoming ridiculous. Back in the 70's, kids didn't need permits for lemonade stands and we certainly didn't have them for feeding the homeless.

From the 2014 report, "Share No More: The Criminalization of Efforts to Feed People In Need," published by National Coalition for the Homeless:

In recent years, cities across the nation have established a precedent of criminalizing homelessness and pushing the problem out of sight. One method that has become more popular has been to introduce new legislation, designed with the intention of restricting individuals and groups from sharing food with people experiencing homelessness.

Homeless individuals are susceptible to a large number of health concerns and often require additional assistance to maintain relatively healthy lifestyles. Nutritional support can help them stay out of the emergency health care system and focus on measures to escape homelessness.

Since 2013, 31 cities across the United States have attempted to pass new laws that restrict organizations and individuals from sharing food with people experiencing homelessness.Those who do not comply with these restrictions can face hefty fines and possible jail time. Since 2009, the United States aligned with 185 nations to protect citizens from facing hunger. Laws and restrictions of this sort violate that right. These laws also disregard the First Amendment right of religious organizations to exercise their faith and assist their less-fortunate neighbors. Homeless individuals are susceptible to a large number of health concerns and often require additional assistance to maintain relatively healthy lifestyles. Nutritional support can help them stay out of the emergency health care system and focus on measures to escape homelessness.

Budget cuts and criminalization efforts are misdirected, narrow in scope, and neglect to make long-term policy changes that work to eradicate homelessness. Limiting access to food will likely leave many hungry and with few alternatives for finding adequate nutrition.

nationalhomeless.org...
edit on 12/10/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Tainted foods, etc...

So by forcing me to get a permit you make it impossible for someone with bad intentions to do anything? That's silly, of course you don't, all you do is stop those with GOOD intentions from helping.

I go to pot luck dinners all the time where I eat other's food, what protections do I have they are losing?

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   

In reality it's ...

Reliance on the government.Why do I need to pay the government even $1 to help those in need? I think it would be great if they offered a FREE class to aid those who wished to help.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Tainted foods, etc...
The other equitable option would be to remove the hoops required by restaurants when serving public.
Are these requirements more or less harsh than those imposed on restaurants?
It seems like the homeless are getting to be a big enough number that they could organize an actual food production setup for them.
Be gifted some gov land and grow crops, raise some cattle and process all in one place. Give jobs to some of the homeless to run it.idk

I realize your sentiment, it is the current progressive/liberal sentiment

It is better to let them starve than to risk allowing church groups or other conservatives to feed the homeless.

Helping the poor is the job of the government, not the individual. Today's homeless can find jobs, that is not the problem. Jobs abound. Weeding your garden but not giving them food, that is a problem.

If you grow a garden, you can't give them food because it hasn't passed safety inspection. So let them help with your garden but the produce isn't safe and not government approved and inspected. So they must starve rather than eat the food from your garden. That is the progressive/liberal way, only the government can keep them safe, by letting them starve.

Way too many liberals believe this. So much for real compassion. As for homeless food-co-op. Get real, if they can't manage to not live on the streets they aren't going to organize a food co-op.

Today's homeless problem is caused by unaffordable housing, and untreated mental illness, and alcohol and drug dependency. In LA, SF, Seattle, their is a huge income inequality, with the rich tech and hollywood Democrats running things and making housing unaffordable, and their service/servant class who has to live on the streets because they can't afford housing in those liberal run cities. And those cities have lots of government "help" for the homeless, like allowing public defecation on sidewalks and allowing people to set up tents in people's back yards without permission. But no real help, like allowing churches and group to actually feed them, heck, it's not safe to allow those types of people anywhere near our precious homeless that do our dirty work and take care of us.

Government is god and let the god of government take care of the homeless, it is as pie in the sky of an idea as simply letting "God" take care of the homeless. Same sort of uncaring faux caring for ones fellow human beings.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence
I'd be happy going jail just for feeding homeless.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Maybe he’s just okay with the city government telling you that you need to have gloves on your grubby mitts when you give out food to people?

I know you live in a mysterious utopia of conservativism and any time anybody mentions the homeless you have a prepared conservative cheerleader statement ready to go, but food safety isn’t really a party politics thing. The ordinance in question lays out some pretty basic requirements for people like “if you want to pass out food, glove up.” and “if you’re gonna pass out food you need to have enough waste receptacles to handle the trash afterwards” and “you can’t throw piles of unwrapped bread into the bed of a dirty pickup truck and then pass out the bread.”

I know you see those as silly liberal ideals but those of us who don’t live in your mysterious conservative utopia would appreciate the homeless having somewhere to put their trash after being fed.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Homeless guy: "Excuse me mate, you have any spare food?"
Vendor: "Here sir, have this sammich."
LAW: "DO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS THAT IS, IT MIGHT BE INFESTED WITH DISEASE, HAVE A FINE."
Homeless guy: "Naw, it's ok, I'll keep eating out of trash cans..."

The day they try to infringe my right to help a fellow human being, is the day I'll go friggen postal.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
We never had many homeless around here, some people bounced from house to house, but never any real street people living on the streets or in the woods and coming out begging. But now, they have started programs to give them a place to sleep and a place to eat, and it is attracting these homeless from other areas of the country. It is dangerous up here to be homeless, these people should go where it is warmer. I was forced to go back and stay with my parents or stay with friends and humble myself a bit when I wound up in a situation of need. Yes, I had to suck up to others and I learned from that that it pays to work symbiotically with others for a common good. I had to help work at my parents and friends to stay there, it wasn't a lot, actually less work than I would have if I owned my own home I have found. But free room and board for a while sure was good pay. Better than having to go on Welfare. If both parties benefit it is good, no free rides needed.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
You know, Charles Schultz was kinda ahead of the times when he had Lucy run a Psychiatric Help Stand. Anyone trying to shut her down was obviously in serious need...

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It was in Dallas several years ago...

I was driving a truck for a living and had a load to deliver to one of our regular customers. They were in a small, dilapidated industrial area and they didn't have a lot of room, so it was common for a driver to have to park outside their gates on the side of the street for a few hours. That day was no different.

At the end of the road I parked on there was huge church/rescue mission building. Looked Catholic to me, but that doesn't mean much. Milling around it were these poor homeless folks. You could tell they were homeless because they were looking through garbage cans, I assume for something to eat. I know every now and then one would pull something out and shove it in their mouth.

There was this one old black man that for some reason caught my eye. He was searching through cans and just wandering around aimlessly the rest of the time. I watched him for over an hour, and he was so thin and frail... I couldn't sit there and do nothing. I kept a couple cases of the peanut butter/cheese crackers in the bunk in case I got hungry (they were dirt cheap by the case), so I rolled down my passenger window and grabbed a handful of cracker packages... no idea how many, but a couple dozen at least. I waited and watched, and sure enough, the old man hobbled close to that side of the truck. He wasn't looking at my truck as much as he was just looking off in the distance. I yelled out, "Hey, buddy!" He turned to look at me, and I heaved the handful of crackers out the window.

The old man immediately went to picking them up. Every few minutes, he would just look up at me with a shocked look on his face. Maybe he thought I was trying to trick him or something? Anyway, he finally gathered all the crackers up, gave me one last look, and hobbled off.

A few moments later, I saw him hobbling around off to the side in an abandoned lot. He had another guy with him. This one looked not as old, but a little slow... maybe some light Downs syndrome? Anyway, he was still carrying the crackers as the two sat down, then instead of opening one for himself, he gave the other guy the first package.

Yeah, I fed two people that day, but in reality they fed me... seeing that even in those conditions there was still love for one's fellow man did me a world of good. I doubt I will ever forget that old man's face as he was picking up those crackers. It really saddens me to hear that I would be breaking the law today. Whoever passed that law should be forced to live without any food for a week. No, that's not cruel; I have done it. It would teach them something about hunger, though, that I doubt they could learn any other way.

Humans existed long before there were governments to 'regulate' what people eat. As a matter of fact, there are still areas, like mine, where just visiting a friend during the summer will result in bringing home bags of fresh produce from a little garden. Not one molecule has been inspected or regulated or verified, but it is also some of the most nutritious food you'll ever find: fresh tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, okry, squash, and occasionally a watermelon or cantaloupe. There are areas where berries grow wild... people just pick them and shove them into their mouths without asking permission from anyone. And believe it or not, no one I know of has died from any of that.

People have died from starvation. I hope you never find yourself in the situation these poor homeless people are in. There, but for the grace of God, go I, and there, but for the grace of God, go you. Even if you don't believe it.

You, sir, are poorer than the old man in the story above. You can have all the material things that life can bring, and still be poor. May you someday find your soul.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Disregard.
edit on 10-12-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Don't start attacking the messenger.

You? Nothing , just a bunch of emotional garbage. You're going to have to be smarter than that if you want to come sit at the big boy table slick.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join