It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chechen rebel leader Aslan Maskhadov killed by Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
CNN.com reports:

www.cnn.com...

"MOSCOW, Russia -- Chechen rebel leader Aslan Maskhadov -- who had a $10 million bounty on his head -- has been killed by Russian troops, according to Russian news agencies.

Russian NTV television showed Federal Security Service head Nikolai Patrushev telling President Vladimir Putin that Maskhadov had been killed in a "special operation" in the village of Tolstoy-Yurt...."

I am mixed about this. The guy was a hero to his people, but a terrorist of sorts to the Russian people. Possibly even tied to last years school massacre.

Either way, I am suprised Russia isnt more supportive of the US's struggle, they seem to have plenty of thier own.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Either way, I am suprised Russia isnt more supportive of the US's struggle, they seem to have plenty of thier own.

The issue with rebels/'terrorists' from Chechnya is that they regularly cause carnage and death in Russia.

The US invasion of a distant foreign sovereign nation based on lies about imminently deployable weapons of mass destruction, in a war for oil, greed, profiteering and strategic positioning in the Middle East, is another matter altogether.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

The issue with rebels/'terrorists' from Chechnya is that they regularly cause carnage and death in Russia.

The US invasion of a distant foreign sovereign nation based on lies about imminently deployable weapons of mass destruction, in a war for oil, greed, profiteering and strategic positioning in the Middle East, is another matter altogether.

You say that like Russia hasnt been there for the same reasons. The US just invaded, where Russia just wheels and deals what they want, even if its trading deadly weapons of war for it.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

You say that like Russia hasnt been there for the same reasons.

Not it was not. The Russian conquista of the Chechen lands took place in the 19th century and not in early 21st. The Chechens had mostly tribal system of government. They were subsequently defeated and the area became part of the Russian emipre proper, with other ethnic groups living there as well. The Chechen were deported in large number to Kazakhstan (as you know) due to alleged collaboration with the Nazis. In the 90s the Russians in Checnya were subjected to a severe campaign of ethic cleansing from the Chechens.

Anyways, I could go on and on, but there is no parallel between US in the Middle East and Russia in Checnya. Really, there is not.

new topics

top topics

join