It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for the Masons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I was wondering a few things:

1) Is my own personal GOD enough to get me in, or do I have to believe in a already present belief system?

2) What are the Masons view on Drugs?

3) If my GOD doesn't allow me to participate in the plays or external worships, is that a problem?

4) What is the purpose for the brotherhood... ? Other then to destroy the barriers religeon itself has built...

5) Is the attitude of the Masons, "I don't care/mind what you believe, but use it like this"?

6) Are there representitives, or "leaders" and are they self designated or democratically appointed?

7) If there is rule and law within the brotherhood how does it accomidate for the other brothers beliefs?

I'll add some more as I think of them ...
Much Appreciated in Advance.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
1. Yes
2. we frown on them, but I can't claim that all Masons are clean
3. Yes. That can and will be a show stopper. For much the same reason, Catholics typically aren't Masons.
4. Once put to me as "Making good men better"
5. Can't claim what Masonry as a whole leans to on that one. Its different everywhere. Masons in Ohio surely have a different look on things than Masons in Queensland or Peru.
6. They are chosen by lodge. Won't go further into than that.
7. Kind of an open ended question isn't it? There are rules and codes. If your beliefs are contradictory to them, you won't stick around.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by scooter1369
1. Yes
2. we frown on them, but I can't claim that all Masons are clean
3. Yes. That can and will be a show stopper. For much the same reason, Catholics typically aren't Masons.
4. Once put to me as "Making good men better"
5. Can't claim what Masonry as a whole leans to on that one. Its different everywhere. Masons in Ohio surely have a different look on things than Masons in Queensland or Peru.
6. They are chosen by lodge. Won't go further into than that.
7. Kind of an open ended question isn't it? There are rules and codes. If your beliefs are contradictory to them, you won't stick around.

Thank you very much for your speedy response I look forward to hearing other Masons views..

A few questions in response to your reponses..

3) Then how is it true that masons allow people from all walks of faith into the lodge but don't allow them to practice their customs or teachings.

6) By the Lodge, by that you mean the group itself... i.e. Ohio chooses their reps, and the Queensland masons choose their leaders? or do all those locations make up the lodge?

7) Would you classify that as a brotherhood that invites people who are searching, and directs their intentions? (Under your own description, taking good men and making them better)

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'll answer one real quick and get back on later tonight for the rest.

3. Its not that Masonry won't allow you to practice or worship in your own way. If there is something in your belief system that is contradictory to Masonry, its your beliefs holding you back. Not Masonry. If your beliefs are that geometry is evil, you don't want to be a Mason.

Catholics for many years couldn't become Masons because of their strict rules of taking an oath to never reveal a secret of Masonry to a non-Mason. If the subject came up in confessional, he was screwed.

Does that make sense?

Gotta bail. Its midnight for me (sort of).

Hope that helped a bit

7. No one is invited to be a Mason. 2B1, Ask1. Masons do not recruit or invite new members.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
invite was the wrong word to use.. welcome is the word I would rather use..

I don't mean that's how you get in .. I just mean that's the atmosphere..

Sure I can see where that confessional thing becomes a problem.. but I do recall one of the mandatory factors for progression is that you participate in the different "stages" ... *Has there ever been a mason who progressed abnormally?*

I would very much like to hear from OTHER masons regarding those 7 questions..

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnero6911

I was wondering a few things:

1) Is my own personal GOD enough to get me in, or do I have to believe in a already present belief system?

2) What are the Masons view on Drugs?

3) If my GOD doesn't allow me to participate in the plays or external worships, is that a problem?

4) What is the purpose for the brotherhood... ? Other then to destroy the barriers religeon itself has built...

5) Is the attitude of the Masons, "I don't care/mind what you believe, but use it like this"?

6) Are there representitives, or "leaders" and are they self designated or democratically appointed?

7) If there is rule and law within the brotherhood how does it accomidate for the other brothers beliefs?

I'll add some more as I think of them ...
Much Appreciated in Advance.

I'm not sure if scooter's answers were really as accurate as I would consider them to be. Scooter, are you a mason? or just speaking from what you know?

Here's my answers:

1. Your own personal God is perfectly good enough to get you in. The only requirements for joining are a belief in ANY supreme being, and a good reputation (ie, no felonies, etc. etc.)

2. Masons view ANYTHING that is against the law as something negative. All masons are sworn to uphold the law and therefore drugs cannot be accepted. Needless to say there are masons who abuse alcohol and such things, this is common in any organization.

3. It is a problem on YOUR behalf. Many catholics have been masons (including myself) even though the church bans catholics from joning the fraternity. If you have a personal problem with something about the Craft, then it is a problem for YOU, not the fraternity.

4. There's too many to name. "Making good men better" is a common slogan, brotherhood, relief, charity, fun, personal development, learning, knowledge, etc etc etc.

5. Absolutely not. Masonry does not care WHAT you believe in nor HOW you believe in it. The lessons that masonry teaches can be adapted into any belief system because they all follow a common theme (ie: truth, charity, virtue, love, morality).

6. Lodge officers are elected by all members for one-year terms. Any Master Mason can become an officer.

7. Like I stated in #5, all rules are common to all belief systems and therefore accomodates all brothers easily.

Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
3) My question though is, would it prohibit progress?, has their been anyone who has progressed abnormally?

4) Going along with "Making Good Men Better", what do the masons provide to make you better?
a)understanding (support)
b)wide pool of belief systems to swim in
c)"the truth"
What is your personal opinion as well..

5) Yet as you stated, "It is a problem on your behalf" what I'm getting at is:
are the laws/rules unyielding? like if a person feels they cannot participate in a said event, are they then stripped of the ability to progress, will they be judged accordingly?

6) a master mason is of what degree? what characteristics/qualities does a master mason have?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

3) My question though is, would it prohibit progress?, has their been anyone who has progressed abnormally?

4) Going along with "Making Good Men Better", what do the masons provide to make you better?
a)understanding (support)
b)wide pool of belief systems to swim in
c)"the truth"
What is your personal opinion as well..

5) Yet as you stated, "It is a problem on your behalf" what I'm getting at is:
are the laws/rules unyielding? like if a person feels they cannot participate in a said event, are they then stripped of the ability to progress, will they be judged accordingly?

6) a master mason is of what degree? what characteristics/qualities does a master mason have?

You know, there is a WEALTH of information on the internet regarding what you are asking. Please do some research on your own instead of asking other people SO MANY questions. Not trying to be rude, but you can find all this out on your own. I want you to know what you are curious about, but my time is limited here at work.

That being said:

3. It would probably prohibit their progress simply because the candidate would himself quit. It's not "do or die" but I don't see a reason why a cnadidate would stay in the fraternity is he did not agree with its ideals. Then again, it would all depend on what he had a problem with. Some things might be disagreeable but not a big deal, other parts might be too prevalent in masonry for the candidate to want to stay.

4. You really can read this on just about any masonic web site. masonry teaches morality through allegory and symbolism. It's not WHAT masonry teaches, but rather HOW it teaches it.

5. It would depend on what the candidate disagrees with. If he's unwilling to take an obligation or oath, then he could not join. But if he just doesn't think that such symbolism means what others say it does, no big deal.

6. A Master Mason is a 3rd degree mason. He has gone through all regular degrees, also known as Blue Lodge degrees. It's as high of a degree as one can achieve in regular masonry.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The reason I'm asking here and not doing research is because that way I'm somewhat more assured that the information I'm getting is accurate... also
I would rather take samples of the sea and research those drops of water rather then observe the sea....

Regular masonry? could you explain the latter?
also I still haven't recieved an answer as to whether or not you or anyone else are aware of anyone who has progressed abnormally...

also ... a master mason is of third degree..
do masons degrees raise or fall?

[edit on 8/3/05 by dnero6911]

[edit on 9-3-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Regular masonry? could you explain the latter?
also I still haven't recieved an answer as to whether or not you or anyone else are aware of anyone who has progressed abnormally...

There are many different groups which call themselves Freemasonry. But the one we speak about here is what we normally call "regular Freemasonry". Regularity is usually gained by recognition from the United Grand Lodge of England.

As for your question about "progressing abnormally", what do you mean? Progressing abnormally in what way? Through the degrees? If that is the case, there are very few instances where men have not progressed through the Masonic system in the accepted manner. I believe that there was an old rule that a GrandMaster could "make" a Freemason on sight and there is a story that General Douglas MacArthur was made a Mason on sight by the Grand Master of the Philippines, but I haven't yet verified it.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I love you masons always answering in a round-a-bout way ... lol

If there is regular masonry ... what is non-regular masonry... in contrast..

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

There are many organizations which associate themselves with masonry, but masonry does not associate back. Such as lodges who admit women or atheists.

There are also appendant bodies such as the Shriners or Scottish Rite. Look those up, I won't explain them to you.

And no, masons degrees dont rise and fall. A degree refers to which rituals you have passed through. it's a way to gauge masonic experience.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk

There are many organizations which associate themselves with masonry, but masonry does not associate back. Such as lodges who admit women or atheists.

There are also appendant bodies such as the Shriners or Scottish Rite. Look those up, I won't explain them to you.

And no, masons degrees dont rise and fall. A degree refers to which rituals you have passed through. it's a way to gauge masonic experience.

You misunderstood me... I was asking which way do they go ... up or down..

from 0-30 or 30-0 type thing..

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

[from 0-30 or 30-0 type thing..

1 up to 33.
As for the "regular" answer. I'm sorry if you don't understand but I thought my answer was pretty clear.
I'll try to simplify it further.

In this world there are many different groups which call themselves Freemasonry - literally thousands. But regular Freemasons are the ones which are sanctioned by UGLE. We don't have a copyright on the name. Anyone can start up a group and call it Freemasonry. We therefore refer to ourselves as "regular" so we know that we are talking about UGLE sanctioned Freemasons and not just any group that has copied our name.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
[edit on 9-3-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's a secret Masonic code that only us Freemasons know about. But just for you, I will reveal this ancient secret.

It's called "someone pasted something that he forgot that he copied".

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
It's a secret Masonic code that only us Freemasons know about. But just for you, I will reveal this ancient secret.

It's called "someone pasted something that he forgot that he copied".

CRAP!!!! That's what I get for being on here while I'm at work. Please don't call.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

You misunderstood me... I was asking which way do they go ... up or down..

from 0-30 or 30-0 type thing..

Blue Lodge degrees go from 1-3
Appendant degrees range from 4-33

Appendant means that they are "additional" degrees that elaborate on the first three degrees. These were instituted by the Scottish Rite, and appendant masonic body.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yes, no view, you decide, the protection of the most valuable arcane secrets in the hands of the worthy (i.e. fun), no, varies, don't understand the last one.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Yes, no view, you decide, the protection of the most valuable arcane secrets in the hands of the worthy (i.e. fun), no, varies, don't understand the last one.

No offense, but that was the worst reply I've ever seen .. lol

I atleast numbered things.. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join