It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kicking around buying a pistol

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I don't know why, I'm not really a big 1911 fan, I have shot a few and own one.

But, I do like all steel stuff(92's, Sigs(have a 226), CZ's, etc).

So I'm kicking around getting a "2011" double stack 1911.

I've been looking at STI's, Anyone have one of them, are the worth the price?

I'm thinking of messaging my dealer for price and availability on a staccato P duo in 9mm. I'm pretty wishy washy on the whole thing though.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

I'm thinking of messaging my dealer for price and availability on a staccato P duo in 9mm. I'm pretty wishy washy on the whole thing though.

STI makes a nice pistol. If you want to get the best and spend some money, get Ted Yost or CT Brian to build you one.....you won't regret it.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

STI makes a nice pistol. If you want to get the best and spend some money, get Ted Yost or CT Brian to build you one.....you won't regret it.

Never heard of them. But I'm not really into 1911's.

I know les makes some good pistols that are "reasonable" for 1911's. Whenever I look at custom stuff, I have a hard time not wanting to go 10mm.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I have a Kimber concealable stainless Ultra Carrie 2 , I really like it. It has a match grade bull barrel. Im in California, so we are limited on magazine size. I think my Kimber holds 7

edit on 8-12-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

The only firearm worth having, all across the board, is the one you're willing to practice with.

You can argue penetration, back stop, stopping power, etc. Whatever...

These terms mean nothing unless you're practiced with your weapon.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I know les makes some good pistols that are "reasonable" for 1911's. Whenever I look at custom stuff, I have a hard time not wanting to go 10mm.

10mm is a great round but so expensive to shoot.

I tend to stick to .45 on all of mine. The 1911 being my favorite.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   

10mm is a great round but so expensive to shoot.

I tend to stick to .45 on all of mine. The 1911 being my favorite.

I buy in bulk, online.

I pay no more for 10mm than 45(around 14 bucks a box). It's a no brainer to me, but I do have both when it comes to pistols, the majority is in 9mm though.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I'm more a reality fan when it comes to pistols.

My personal favorite is still a Glock 21 Gen 4.

The 1911 is nice if you put it in a box if you're not using it, with a few silicate pouches to tuck it in.

A Glock you can throw in the dirt for 9 months, pick it up, chamber a round and go to town.

I like reliability more then the "shiny money" factor.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I'm more a reality fan when it comes to pistols.

My personal favorite is still a Glock 21 Gen 4.

The 1911 is nice if you put it in a box if you're not using it, with a few silicate pouches to tuck it in.

A Glock you can throw in the dirt for 9 months, pick it up, chamber a round and go to town.

I like reliability more then the "shiny money" factor.

I agree, the majority of what I own are glocks or similar polymer pistols. Though I still appreciate a nice all steel piece from time to time.

I guess my biggest issue with the 1911 has always been the capacity and the caliber. I'm no fan of 45 and anything less than 10 rounds seems tedious.

I'm willing to give it(the 1911) another shot though.

ETA: To me, a pistol that holds 8 rounds or less is better off being a revolver, maybe because I'm a revolver fan as well.
edit on 8-12-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I've never owned a Corvette either.

I can buy one, but it's a flashy car that looks good but rides like schiff and it is too expensive to upkeep.

To me, that's a 1911.

~shrug~

edit on 8-12-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have a Range Master 1911, not a fan of these old designs. If your looking for an Auto grab a Sig Sauer X-Five or X-Six PPC you simply can't beat these for quality, accuracy and reliability. Out of the box the PPC will shoot 1 inch at 50 yards.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I've never owned a Corvette either.

I can buy one, but it's a flashy car that looks good but rides like schiff and it is too expensive to upkeep.

To me, that's a 1911.

~shrug~

It does have some actual positives.

First, to me, if you go with a double stack version it eliminates the capacity issue, putting it on par with most polymers.

The other benefit it has(and likely always will) is a better single action trigger. I have a 1911 45 longslide(6") match that is VERY accurate and an absolute joy to shoot, pitty it holds so few rounds.

It does seem to have the ability(the platform) to move swiftly from "acceptable" into the "ridiculous" cost sphere pretty quickly. I have a bit of a "issue" with that.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I like my 1911. I can strip and clean it with my eyes closed and have trained with it for decades. I am just very familiar with it and see no reason to change.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
I have a Range Master 1911, not a fan of these old designs. If your looking for an Auto grab a Sig Sauer X-Five or X-Six PPC you simply can't beat these for quality, accuracy and reliability. Out of the box the PPC will shoot 1 inch at 50 yards.

I like sigs, again because I like an all steel gun.

I have a 226 Mk25 and a 220 Emperor Scorpion in 10mm(love that one, again, pity it's not a double stack, would be the perfect gun IMO).

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I think to me the difference is something that I carry all the time in real situations from the woods with the bears and the lions and the wolves to the post office to my property that always works.

Every time.

I'm not looking for a 1 inch group at 50 yards with a pistol.

I'm looking for 13 rounds of Hornaday 185 grain delivered at 10 yards or less with no jams or misfires.

So we may have a different perspective on what we need... or want.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   
So my thinking is that the only 1911 I'll buy again will be the "best"(to me, with regard to setup, not brand).

I want a double stack gun, slide cut for a red dot, in 9mm(or 10mm). If there is anything else from any brand that hits the mark(I do want some features too, better trigger, grips, etc) I'd like to know.

So far the STI seems to be the only pick that doesn't go into the clouds with pricing(the sti is at the peak of what i'll pay for said gun and features).

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I think to me the difference is something that I carry all the time in real situations from the woods with the bears and the lions and the wolves to the post office to my property that always works.

Every time.

I'm not looking for a 1 inch group at 50 yards with a pistol.

I'm looking for 13 rounds of Hornaday 185 grain delivered at 10 yards or less with no jams or misfires.

So we may have a different perspective on what we need... or want.

I never said this was a carry gun or anything of the sort, I already have a few of those and to me hitting all the boxes would be my glock 20, "small" enough to carry and will knock down anything on this continent.

I'm just looking for a "plinker".

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I know the UK's gun laws must seem like an alien planet, but every post in this thread sounds like Easy Andy...

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

I realize how insensitive it must be for us mericans to be flagrantly dangling our rights in front of you brits.

Good reference though.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   

a reply to: ConfusedBrit

I realize how insensitive it must be for us mericans to be flagrantly dangling our rights in front of you brits.

Good reference though.

Perhaps most of them dont want or feel the need to have a small arsenal of guns for protection. If it's a collectors hobby then I could see how a few of them could be jealous but otherwise.. it doesn't make much sense.

Guns are much cooler than many other collectibles and fun to use. I don't see why people who own a few to several are defensive and try to justify it with self defense and their second amendment right. The second amendment was created during a time when we were in a war of rebellion with Britain and they had recently invaded. You needed a gun to defend your town but more importantly your family and property.

Really it was for military purposes because revolvers werent common yet and a single shot, manual reload musket wasn't going to stop a few soldiers or bandits. They weren't allowed to possess them under British rule for obvious reasons and wanted to possess them for obvious reasons. It was made to be an amendment to protect the future of the nation. They had no concept of and could not fathom the future 200+ years later, having the worlds most powerful military, the worlds best trained and equipped law enforcement, automatic guns etc.

That unpopular truth that'll undoubtably make people mad and make them think I'm a liberal "enemy" aside (opponent sounds friendlier), I think people should be able to own guns as the dynamic has changed from enemy soldiers to criminals and terrorists. If gun owners are serious about it, I'd hope hey keep a pistol in arms reach of their beds and maybe one or two stashed around the house or else it's just a hobby. A really cool hobby without justification needed.
edit on 9-12-2019 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join