It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Banana Was Duct-Taped to a Wall. It Sold for $120,000.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   
$120 Grand right there !

The fruit and tape in question was the work of Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, and it literally is just a banana duct-taped to a wall, titled “The Comedian.” CBS News reports that there are actually three “editions” of the work of art, two of which have been sold. The third banana is expected to go for an even higher $150,000.
On the one hand, the hundred-thousand-dollar banana duct-taped to a wall is Good. People always like to dismiss modern art as simplistic, often remarking, “I could make that.” The go-to comeback to this statement is, “Yeah, but you didn’t.” Hate all you want, but you didn’t just make a couple hundred grand by attaching maybe a dollar’s worth of produce to the wall with three pieces of tape from a roll that couldn’t possibly have cost more than 10 bucks. Maurizio Cattelan did.
www.gq.com...

Conceptual BS at its finest .... but it gets better !
Yesterday a performance artist removed the banana from the wall and ate it ! .... in the name of art of course.

But it's OK , another banana was used to replace the one consumed because it's not the banana that's the art it's the concept !

Lucien Terras, spokesman for the Perrotin Gallery, told the Miami Herald that Datuna did not 'destroy' the artwork because 'the banana is the idea'.
Gallery founder Emmanuel Perrotin said Maurizio's work is about how objects move through the world.
www.mirror.co.uk...

Mad World.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

LOL!! I know. The world is going insane. A third thing? painting? what ever is expected to go for 150 thousand? What is wrong with these people? If your going to (bleep) your money away like that, why not donate it to the homeless.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Thats not Eric of 29 Acacia Rd, this is Eric

Art is lost on me, oh and i not got $120,000 for any piece of fruit, i can get a bunch for £1 from local shops

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

That's not real art. That is BS peddled to the ultra,rich who rather spend their money on bad taste than anything useful (as usual).

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   

If it's the concept then don't buy it and just do it yourself.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The question should not be "Why did someone create this?"

but

"Who bought that! Why?"

You and I, we all dream or imagine that we should be able to get rich, quick and easy. This artist has found a way, and buyers. Do not fret about the artist, they are living the dream.

Ask what kind of person has so much unused money laying around, and WHY does this person does have that kind of money, and IS THAT FAIR that there are persons having that kind of money just laying around.

No. It is not fair.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Oh boy.

Do you know what I'd buy with 120,000$?

Not a banana.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

But then you are just copying the concept so it wouldn't be original , originality is obviously where the money is.
I prefer my banana's in a sandwich not a decoration , that way I can contemplate how fruit travels through the world of my gut .... Ooooo , concept !

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
"Modern Art is STILL Sh*t"

You have to be pretty smug to appreciate 'modern' art.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

The transformation process from order to a state of maximum entropy...

Oh damn, I am starting to sound like a banana artist

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I have secret footage of what happened just before he decided to make this art..

True!!

(I love that ancient clay animation Guy's Dog.)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

But then you are just copying the concept so it wouldn't be original , originality is obviously where the money is.
I prefer my banana's in a sandwich not a decoration , that way I can contemplate how fruit travels through the world of my gut .... Ooooo , concept !

I'm going to sticky tape a prune to the wall.. that's original !

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

The transformation process from order to a state of maximum entropy...

Oh damn, I am starting to sound like a banana artist

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Fools and their money are soon parted.
There went $120,000 of one of em's

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I'd like to see a picture of the one that's expected to sell for $150,000 , that must be real special , perhaps a different coloured tape !

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I heard the artist had some AI help ...

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

That's not real art.

According to my definition (with which my elder sister, a painter and photographer, agrees) of art, that's art.

Art: the result of somebody's work/idea that has no use in real life except making (some) people think or have feelings about it.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This Banana Was Duct-Taped to a Wall. It Sold for $120,000.

He must have gotten the idea from Congress.

$50,000 for a hammer.

$80,000 for a toilet seat.

$120,000 for a banana.

Sure makes perfect sense.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

There's an art to making money , Maurizio Cattelan obviously has that art.

No matter how you look at it Modern Art is conceptual BS but as the old saying goes "where there's muck there's brass"

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop
I'm going to sticky tape a prune to the wall.. that's original !

It's not, it's the same concept. Even if you can find a good explanation for the different fruit most people will consider it as a copy.

Now, if you can imagine an art piece (a painting, a photo, a sculpture, an installation, etc.) mocking this whole situation then you are creating an original piece of art and you can sell it to any idiot that finds it worth the money you ask for it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join