It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Oceans Are Losing Oxygen at an Alarming Rate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
All the nitrogen based fertilizers they use to grow the corn for the corn gas is leading to microbes that kill the ocean. Another thing is the pesticides and roundup which screw up the environmental environment for the good microbes in the rivers and oceans. This is not about global warming, this is about severly disturbing unnatural agricultural practices. The factory farms and corn for ethanol is causing much of the problem.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It seems that many of the solutions are worse than the problem when It comes to "climate chance".

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This struck me as sensationalism

The world’s oceans are gasping for breath,

right off the bat.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

The chemical make up of water is H2O. Two hydrogen atoms to one Oxygen atom.

If the oceans are loosing oxygen the chemical make up of the oceans change.

Please sight what chemicals oceans are now made from.

TL: DR: Chemistry disproves this statement.

you never took high school chemistry, did you?

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormson

you never took high school chemistry, did you?

What was you point?

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Here is a good read on dissolved oxygen.

www.fondriest.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:31 AM
link   

So fish take water consume the oxygen and release hydrogen ...

science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Rickymouse has the right idea... part of it, at least.

If there is a decrease in dissolved O2 in the oceans, that would indicate that O2 is not being introduced as fast as it is being used. What produces O2 in the ocean? Primarily algae and other oceanic plant life. I would like to see if there is a correlation between oceanic plant life and dissolved O2 levels... I bet there is.

I'm not going to disparage the concerns over fertilizer runoff, but I would also not overlook herbicides. Weed control is now a big business and produces a lot of runoff. All waterways lead to the ocean, so herbicides and fertilizer runoff will make their way there, despite where they are used.

But there's more... sulfur. We have all heard of the "acidification" concern. Those pushing an agenda will attribute that to carbon dioxide levels, but carbonic acid is pretty weak. How weak? I'm drinking it right now; it's called "Mountain Dew." It is also called "Coca Cola" and "Pepsi" and a host of other names. Any carbonated soft drink is carbonic acid. Sulfur, on the other hand, is a pretty strong acid... it's the stuff in your car battery, which I do not recommend you drink! Remember the old rhyme?

Poor, poor Johnny.
We'll not see Johnny more.
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

H2SO4 is sulfuric acid. Nasty stuff.

Sulfuric acid comes from burning "dirty" fuels... most crude oil contains an appreciable amount of sulfur. On land, we started combating sulfuric acid way back when catalytic converters came out... remember the smell of an old, worn out catalytic converter? It smelled like rotten eggs, because it contained the same thing rotten eggs contain: hydrogen sulfide. It contained hydrogen sulfide because the fuel being burnt at the time was heavy with sulfur.

Remember acid rain? Sulfuric acid. Sulfur in fuels burns to create sulfur dioxide (SO2), which then tends to combine with water to form sulfuric acid. And yes, I am aware acid rain still exists in some areas... just not to the degree it once did.

Today we have strict regulations on sulfur content... I actually consider them a little too strict, but better too strict on that than not strict enough. What we do not have are meaningful regulations on fuel used in International shipping! they still use relatively high sulfur content fuels, although there has been progress made. At one time, sulfur concentrations of up to 10% were used! Compare that to today's EPA standards for gasoline: a maximum sulfur content of 10 ppm, or 0.001%.

So we have oceanic ships traversing the oceans spewing sulfur dioxide, which dissolves in water to become sulfuric acid. That acidifies the ocean and kills off oceanic plant life. Oceanic plant life relies on dissolved CO2 (carbonic acid) from aquatic animal life to survive and produce dissolved oxygen... carbonic acid is so much weaker than sulfuric acid, it will not dissolve in water high in sulfuric acid content. No carbonic acid for the plant life = no oxygen for the marine life.

In short, the oceans are getting a double whammy... chemical pollution from runoff and sulfuric acid from shipping fumes. That is killing the plant life, and thus dropping the oxygen level. Now, if we could just spend 10% of the energy we spend worrying about plant food in the atmosphere on these two issues (both of which are correctable to at least a large degree), we could fix them in no time!

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I think the point is that we are discussing dissolved O2 gas, not removing the oxygen atom form the H2O molecule.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Oxygen can be dissolved between the molecules, not bound to it like you think. Same as the other stuff in the ocean like sodium salt

The sodium salt does not bind to the H2O molecules, it is between them.
edit on 8-12-2019 by Oleandra88 because: I wanted say salt, not sodium. Translation mistake.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Holy crap, do some science research before you post such crap.
The issue is dissolved oxygen in ocean water, not the water molecules themselves.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

I agree, specially after seeing the same topic on Euronews on TV a couple of hours ago.

Here's their article about it, including a link to the full (588 pages) report.
edit on 8/12/2019 by ArMaP because: bad link

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
We will probably find out this is caused by a form of waste by green energy at some point down the road.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Global warming ( eye roll) why don't we worry about more immediate
threats to sea life? Like all the damn plastic and abandoned fishing nets
and lines. Pretty heart wrenching watching a baby whale struggle to it's
death because of the fishing industry's carelessness.

Seen peak oil come and go acid rain, the ozone we're all gonna die
Russia hates us, China, NK, Nukes Aids and on and on. I mean for
give me if I'm a tad desensitized. After I been hear'n this all my
life as well.

"The only thing we have to fear is ....fear itself. I guess it sunk in sorry.

Oh but chemtrails are hoax! Hell f you read an article and watched TV.
That's cool good enough for me where do I pay? Cause it has to be my
fault. Now I have to go back to work but that's okay.

Who the hell knows WTF to think when everybody is full of shlt?

edit on 8-12-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

One example is so-called nutrient runoff, when too many nutrients from fertilizers used on farms and lawns wash into waterways.

Bull SNIP.

Two biggest reasons is because of cost for fertilizer and pesticides and herbicides.

Next is that both pesticides and herbicides are BOTH extremely diluted.

Farmers don't flush money literally down the drain.

Another FEAR mongering article.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

This is a correct analysis and a predictable outcome of large corporations selling vast amount's of fertilizer (and tailored chemical's as well as GM crop seed that is reliant upon these chemical's talk about creating a monopoly) to the third world though it also run's off in the first world.

So while I believe humanity is NOT the sole cause of global warming AND that we have passed a threshold already were natural greenhouse gas release is now unstoppable (i.e. instead of playing the blame game we should be searching for way's to survive the future and ensure the stability and continued growth/development of humanity) and will completely outstrip human emissions in the short to medium term I do absolutely believe that nutrient fertilizers and chemical's meant for use on land that leech into the sea will and indeed are having a severe global cataclysm level ecologically destabilizing affect on our ocean's and there biodiversity.

But guess who - MONSANTO/BAYER tada.

You know those big pharma corp's that are already bigger than some country's and powerful enough to own entire senate's and president's in there back pocket.

So what is going to be done about it?.

They will drag there feet because cutting sales of these poisonous chemical's will harm the GM crop's they have already forced through aggressive sales and market control onto the poor third world farmers who have already lost there heritage variety's because of Monsanto's aggressive sales policy's and contractual obligations upon those farmers and cutting off the sale of those chemicals without which there GM crop's will not grow will lead to mass starvation which would NEVER have happened if these poor third world farmers had kept there heritage variety's.

It's all about some tiny minority of ultra wealthy creep's that are willing to kill the world so that they can spend millions on a too big house while people half a mile away are shivering and dying on the street's with no homes (there are decent rich people as well so don't get me wrong this is not about that but there are too many bad people at the top for my liking).

Now think about it like this, everything flows to the sea, Geologists even regard the land as a viscous material that also flows over geological time down to the sea through erosion etc.

So since all rivers flow to the sea, everything we put on land ends up in the water and all that water flow's into the sea.

Pharmaceutical chemical's which are not the culprit we are talking about here here though they are also guilty have been shown to affect animal sexuality as have micro plastics (plastic is an almost indispensable material in our current society and look what it's over use has done to the planet when there are many potential ecologically more friendly replacements for it and so many areas it has been used replacing other natural materials such as wood which would if we went back to it probably boost reforestation since it suddenly becomes a more valuable resource to be farmed and that would reduce CO2 in the atmosphere as well), so is it any surprise that chemical's meant to increase the growth of plant's, or chemical's meant to kill insects (also deadly to fish and marine life) would end up in the sea, no it's not it is actually predictable which is why I believe these company's have acted unethically and in fact for our race in an almost suicidal manner since they are only ever concerned about there current and next stock market analysis and do not care one bit about saving lives even if they use that to sell there crap.

Basically what these scientists have done is simply take a prediction that was probably already made and proven it through study and empirical research, it is actually a sad and in fact potentially globally ecologically deadly outcome of our runaway use of chemical's and the short term profit motivated agenda of corporations.

edit on 8-12-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

You had all that to post because of what I wrote or because of what you read in the article and/or the report?

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96
Not so fast. The real reasons I heard about when it is about nutrient washoff, is really nitrate from watered down cow and pig excrements, not bought fertilizer.

The systems where the dung is rinsed off and stored in tanks, then spread on fields as fertilizers. These have high nitrate and those flow into rivers, lakes and even down to ground water. That is why here it is forbidden to spread it on the fields when the ground is frozen.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Then that's an even bigger lie.

Heres a big reason why.

Building pits.

EPA regulations.

Not so fast. The real reasons I heard about when it is about nutrient washoff, is really nitrate from watered down cow and pig excrements, not bought fertilizer.

The systems where the dung is rinsed off and stored in tanks, then spread on fields as fertilizers. These have high nitrate and those flow into rivers, lakes and even down to ground water. That is why here it is forbidden to spread it on the fields when the ground is frozen

Not true either because it's direct injected at a variable rate according to SOIL TESTING and the CEC amount.

CEC.

Basically the amount the soil can handle without having RUN OFF.

Which EVERY single GD farmer uses.

The sheer amount of tech farmers use today. And the comments about them. Called PRECISION farming.

Show Climate FEAR mongerers have no effing clue of what they speak of.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96
Maybe not in your country but in mine where the farming density is higher. It is becoming a real problem, not just fear mongering. Measurable in bottled water.

So it seems you are the one, to use your rude tone, who has no #ing clue. I politely ask you to not call me a fear monger, too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join