It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Oceans Are Losing Oxygen at an Alarming Rate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hello ATS! I've got an article here from the NyTimes. I know....i know....MEDIA BAD! Just give it a chance. At some point, these warnings about the climate have to be about more than just scare tactics from TPTB. I think the media may over-hype the Climate Change issue but that's no reason to totally disavow its existence.

The world’s oceans are gasping for breath, a report issued Saturday at the annual global climate talks in Madrid has concluded. The report represents the combined efforts of 67 scientists from 17 countries and was released by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. It found that oxygen levels in the world’s oceans declined by roughly 2 percent between 1960 and 2010. The decline, called deoxygenation, is largely attributed to climate change, although other human activities are contributing to the problem. One example is so-called nutrient runoff, when too many nutrients from fertilizers used on farms and lawns wash into waterways. The decline might not seem significant because, “we’re sort of sitting surrounded by plenty of oxygen and we don’t think small losses of oxygen affect us,” said Dan Laffoley, the principal adviser in the conservation union’s global marine and polar program and an editor of the report. “But if we were to try and go up Mount Everest without oxygen, there would come a point where a 2 percent loss of oxygen in our surroundings would become very significant.” “The ocean is not uniformly populated with oxygen,” he added. One study in the journal Science, for example, found that water in some parts of the tropics had experienced a 40 to 50 percent reduction in oxygen.

I think this issue should be tackled sooner rather than later. As the world population increases the warming will increase in multiples and there will be more run-off (another factor in the warming problem). The article goes in depth with some of the details that factor into this issue:

Mass fish die-off due to deoxygenation of the ocean(s).
More acidic oceans due to deoxygenation which will bleach coral and dissolve shells of ocean-life known as Osteoporosis of the Sea.
Thermal expansion of the oceans will occur as warmer water takes up more space than cooler water. On a side note, I think the extra water from the melted ice will serve to slow down the Earth's rotation. I'm not sure what this will do to humans but I'll bet it wouldn't be good.
Warming temperatures also affect the ability of ocean water to mix so oxygen absorbed on the top layer doesn’t properly get down into the deeper ocean. Any available oxygen gets used up more quickly because marine life uses more oxygen when temperatures are warmer.

So, ATS......what say you? Should the world continue to ignore Climate Change or tackle it head on?

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

And cue the people coming to claim this is just George Soros funded propaganda 😅

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Our ability to adapt is often overlooked in the media hype. At least you point out you are not sure how this will affect humanity -- we truly do not know. What we can be certain of however is how powerless we are in controlling nature.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

The chemical make up of water is H2O. Two hydrogen atoms to one Oxygen atom.

If the oceans are loosing oxygen the chemical make up of the oceans change.

Please sight what chemicals oceans are now made from.

TL: DR: Chemistry disproves this statement.

edit on 7-12-2019 by randomtangentsrme because: formatting.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

And cue the people coming to claim this is just George Soros funded propaganda 😅

How dare you snark on first post and didnt even have the courtesy to star the OP.

I doubt it is soros funded propaganda. For as long as I can recall, deoxygenation in the ocean has been linked to an increaae of fresh water running into the oceans creating dead zones which increases the amount of fish dying, spiked nitrate and selenium levels, among many other things.

Also, Soros still sucks anyway and Epstein didn't kill himself.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Its the displacement of oxygen with nitrates and ammonia and other crap as a result of dead zones which are where fresh water enters the ocean. Marine life dies and things go sour in other ways. I suppose you think Flint Michigan tap water is just molecules of hydrogen and oxygen too?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
"Dead Zones" biggest cause are from fertilizer run-offs. All the chemicals we use around the world to make crop growing more efficient and productive affect coastal fisheries.

Should we return to 1800's farming techniques or not worry about eating tuna? Our choice.
edit on 7-12-2019 by quercusrex because: A vs. E.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

This is true too. Not just an increase in fresh water, but very low quality fresh water at that.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme
No, just no!

The amount of dissolved oxygen water can hold is directly related to temp.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Its the displacement of oxygen with nitrates and ammonia and other crap as a result of dead zones which are where fresh water enters the ocean. Marine life dies and things go sour in other ways. I suppose you think Flint Michigan tap water is just molecules of hydrogen and oxygen too?

I'm an abalone diver in Cali. I understand how pollutants can effect an ecosystem. Can you explain how a reduction in Oxygen would not change the chemical make up of the oceans?
I cannot.
So tell me. Is there a "deoxygenation" or a lack of holding countries accountable for polluting the world?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
No, just no!

This is true too, but i dont know whether or not the difference of dissolved oxygen by an increase of maybe 1 or 2 celcius would be enough to kill off marine life in such a way. Any sources on this? Poisoning the water supply would certainly do a lot of damage.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I'm an abalone diver in Cali. I understand how pollutants can effect an ecosystem. Can you explain how a reduction in Oxygen would not change the chemical make up of the oceans?
I cannot.
So tell me. Is there a "deoxygenation" or a lack of holding countries accountable for polluting the world?

Both, but I too am far more concerned by the pollution.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   

No, just no!

Yes, and warmer water holds less chemicals or doesn't cycle chemicals like Nitrogen, Phosphorus as efficiently.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

It's called dissolved oxygen. Look it up, diver dude.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   

No, just no!

Source?
Chemically it is pretty specific. But I acknowledge I am not a chemist, and I enjoy learning.
My quick google search leaned in favor of my argument (isn't that always the case). But I am always willing to be proven wrong.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

This is why I made my disclaimer at the beginning with the tag line "Media Bad." Because the deniers will just say that Global warming is a hoax perpetrated by the media to get more money out of our pockets.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex

It's called dissolved oxygen. Look it up, diver dude.

Thanks. I did. Quickly.
Wiki listed first medical. So not really related to what we are discussing.
Don't get me wrong. With algae blooms and red tides. I'm watching the ocean constantly.
I've never got a warning of the ocean moving from H2O, to another chem makeup.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   

No, just no!

This is true too, but i dont know whether or not the difference of dissolved oxygen by an increase of maybe 1 or 2 celcius would be enough to kill off marine life in such a way. Any sources on this? Poisoning the water supply would certainly do a lot of damage.

I do not disagree at all, on the problem of pollutants..certainly is devastating. I think fertiliser runoff is quite bad, it creates algae, which can indeed lower o2.

As for a degree or two, I,m not a marine biologist, but a few degrees can make quite a difference, at a certain point water will be pretty much have little value

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   
just place a crap ton of these everywhere. a system to pump atmosphere down into the ocean and release it like a giant fish tank oxygenator. these are modulated pressurized tanks, they will need to be designed to be able to pass the pressurized gas from one vessel to the next towards the bottom. With a potential robotic retrieval system, it will make repair and replacement a breeze and reduce risk to the operator.
edit on 7-12-2019 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)
also a side effect will be the ocean will absorb many of the pollutants in our atmosphere, but will also definitely absorb our green house gasses more efficiently.
edit on 7-12-2019 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MConnalley
just place a crap ton of these everywhere. a system to pump atmosphere down into the ocean and release it like a giant fish tank oxygenator. these are modulated pressurized tanks, they will need to be designed to be able to pass the pressurized gas from one vessel to the next towards the bottom. With a potential robotic retrieval system, it will make repair and replacement a breeze and reduce risk to the operator. also a side effect will be the ocean will absorb many of the pollutants in our atmosphere, but will also definitely absorb our green house gasses more efficiently.

There are to many ifs. But I like your idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join