It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOC blasted for 'misleading' tweet taking 'victory lap' over new Amazon jobs in New York City

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
I just dont dig corporate welfare, thats just how it feels to me.

It allows them to move in and soften the blow of the initial investment it takes to do so and everyone wins in the end. It's good business. There are plenty of cases of terrible corporate welfare decisions, Walmart has been the beneficiary of many of them.

In the end NY makes $24 billion over the next 30 years. Under what crazy logic is that bad?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

In the end NY makes $24 billion over the next 30 years. Under what crazy logic is that bad?

Maybe it is beneficial in the end..still don't like corporate welfare.

It's just a principal to me..and many others here..unless AOC is involved. JM2C

I have to go, or I would carry on the conversation.

Peace

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

That is one of the most kindergarten-like memes I've ever seen. Equivalent to calling someone a "poopy head" on the playground.
edit on 12/7/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Maybe it is beneficial in the end..still don't like corporate welfare.

It's just a principal to me..and many others here..unless AOC is involved. JM2C

I have to go, or I would carry on the conversation.

Peace

It's the same thing as when a landlord says hey first month is free with a 1 year lease. Everyone wins. Now if it was something stupid like they don't need to pay taxes for 50 years I agree.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

There is a difference between corporate welfare and trying to entice a company that would benefit your district...

The problem is that whether leftist want to admit it or not, taxes discourage production and business. In a competitive landscape when a company or people can just move to lower cost areas, the only way for many of these cities to attract business is by reducing the tax burden.

For a company such as Amazon, despite the high revenues, it has very low margins. This means tax policy alone can determine profit and loss for many companies.

This becomes even more acute since many jobs can now be performed anywhere. Companies are far less likely to be loyal to a particular industry hub when they can easily do the job in a different lower cost city.

Cities with high taxes are at a severe disadvantage. This is why all these companies are moving south... nashville, charlotte, atlanta, florida, texas.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

What do you have against rocks?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Maybe one day I can be a billionaire and say I’m going to move part of my company somewhere, then pocket all kinds of taxpayer money before saying “Sorry!”, changed my mind.

Maybe then people can defend me on the internet by blaming it on a politician they don’t like.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Not everyone in queens is making that much money. You srent grasping the bigger picture are you?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Maybe one day I can be a billionaire and say I’m going to move part of my company somewhere, then pocket all kinds of taxpayer money before saying “Sorry!”, changed my mind.

Do you seriously not know how a tax break works?

They aren't giving money to them.

They are keeping more of what they earn.
edit on 7-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It allows them to move in and soften the blow of the initial investment it takes to do so and everyone wins in the end. It's good business. There are plenty of cases of terrible corporate welfare decisions, Walmart has been the beneficiary of many of them.

Why do the liberal push tax credits like crazy, but when someone mentions tax breaks they go crazy thinking its the worst thing in the world.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Not everyone in queens is making that much money. You srent grasping the bigger picture are you?

Maybe if Amazon came there 25,000 people would... can't have that though...lol

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

There is a difference between corporate welfare and trying to entice a company that would benefit your district...

The problem is that whether leftist want to admit it or not, taxes discourage production and business. In a competitive landscape when a company or people can just move to lower cost areas, the only way for many of these cities to attract business is by reducing the tax burden.

For a company such as Amazon, despite the high revenues, it has very low margins. This means tax policy alone can determine profit and loss for many companies.

This becomes even more acute since many jobs can now be performed anywhere. Companies are far less likely to be loyal to a particular industry hub when they can easily do the job in a different lower cost city.

Cities with high taxes are at a severe disadvantage. This is why all these companies are moving south... nashville, charlotte, atlanta, florida, texas.

Shhh New Yorkers are mostly to cynical for their own good. I live in the southeast and business is great, every time a big corporation moves in retail, housing and commercial business ramps up

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I don’t get while all the people hate on Amazon due to some stories on their working conditions. You are not required to work there. It is in most cases an entry level job where someone can gain some skills and build a resume and if they don’t like it then move on. There are all kinds of jobs like this all over the US that don’t garner all of the hate.

We hear all the horror stories about people not being able to take bathroom breaks etc, that sounds more to me like a piece of crap supervisor not a company policy. There are many jobs that have loads of BS which I am sure many on this website deal with on a day to da basis. People handle situations differently and for what some people hate others may love or is a means to an end.

The point is any influx in jobs are good for any area because it creates revenue streams in so many other places such as gas stations, restaurants, etc. unless there is a huge conflict of interest I don’t know why any city/state would not be willing to offer incentives to bring in business. I think it has been proven that working is better than not for many reasons open the door and give some people a chance to better themselves

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
In her perfect world everybody has just enough teeth left in their skull to gnaw on a rat found starved in an alley.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Who cares what everyone is making, that's what Amazon was paying. The jobs that AOC killed.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Or comparing voluntary work to the violence of slavery. Like you did on page one?

It doesnt take posting childish pictures to have an unsophisticated viewpoint

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

The jobs that only a drop in the bucket of people who actually live there can do.

Jesus Christ, can no one looked past the obvious or are you just all tunnel visioned by big numbers or something?

If rent is already averaging 2300 per month in Queens that means a studio is probably not far behind, now lets take into account basic gentrification if such a massive tech build up was suddenly plopped down into a sea of rather low wage workers.

Even the people working at Intel and Boeing would be running for their money if HQ2 moved into town. Imagine the massive poverty rift that would ensue if HQ2 went in there. Just look at silicon valley. Rent is off the charts.
Queens cannot afford to have Manhattan rent and lease prices.

That district didn't want that and offered alternatives to Amazon, but Bezo's is a ruthless greedy asshat and didn't want to deal with everything.

It's a lot more complicated then just "oh look AOC said no, so she hates jobs!".
Just do a little critical thinking on this one for a second and learn to google articles that are saying exactly what I am saying. There's a reason why the project was split into like what, 17 different locations, or something like that. Tech doesn't build local wealth, those predictions were wrong, it creates concentrated wealth which is exactly how mega capitalistic ventures work.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yeah some people aren't looking at the obvious if rent is $2,300 a month.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The massive amount of people in such a concentrated area?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Hahahahahahahahahhahaha, we can't have more high paying jobs because they are bad. OMG you can't make this stuff up. What else would I expect from a globalist like you who said America should deal with a bad economy if it means a better economy for the rest of the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join