It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Justice Ginsburg puts temporary hold on Trump financial records dispute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday put a temporary hold on a court ruling that would require records held by Deutsche Bank AG and Capital One Financial Corp to be handed over to Democratic-led congressional panels.

Trump’s lawyers asked the high court to put a hold a Dec. 3 ruling by Manhattan-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals directing the two banks to comply with April subpoenas by the House of Representatives Financial Services Committee and Intelligence Committee for the financial records. In a brief order, Ginsburg said that the lower court ruling is now on hold until Dec. 13.

The material sought by the committees includes records of accounts, transactions and investments linked to Trump, his three oldest children, their immediate family members and several Trump Organization entities.

The Supreme Court on Nov. 25 granted Trump’s request to put the subpoena enforcement in that case on hold while the president appeals the matter. Both cases represent an important showdown over the powers of the presidency versus those of Congress.

Here is actual brief:

www.supremecourt.gov...

Very interesting, what do you all think?
edit on 7-12-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: Tanks carewemust I think I have it quoted correctly. 🙂

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Take it from someone who knows from experience. If you don't format your Opening Posts correctly, ATS Admin will revoke your posting privileges.

Use the '[*exnews] [/exnews*]' box for your external quotes from news sources.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Thank you, I finally figured it out- I think.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I remember a bunch of people celebrating every time her health was in question, hoping she'd leave somehow.

And she just threw their boy a bone (maybe, if anything was in there).

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:21 AM
link   
It's pretty standard to put everything on hold while on appeal. Not sure why it went this far.
Bias in lower courts probably...

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Some here, including me, have speculated on her life expectancy but never wished for her death. Should a Justice step down when unable to perform their duties? I believe yes they should. So far she seems to be hanging in there.

I do find it encouraging that she has ruled this way. Supreme Court Justices are supposed to be nonpartisan and this is a good example of that.
edit on 7-12-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: Clarify

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

It is only a hold not a cancellation...if he is impeached then it doesn't matter.

He is not worth wasting precious resources.
edit on 012CST01America/Chicago02910131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I cannot be sure with the document provided she did so. No direct signature. Plus one justice of 9 might not be the best tactic.

It is however an interesting situation, and look forward to what is the reality of this situation.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone from _____ ideology wished her ill. Just that a bunch were celebrating her exit, a minority not caring how.

I don't know a lot about her. I don't really look into a justice I haven't seen being appointed, because if they're in, I can't do anything about it.

Maybe she's not as partisan as people say. Maybe she makes an honest effort to uphold the law the way she thinks it should be interpreted, I don't know.

But it is certainly interesting.

Anyone with more knowledge, is this something any justice could have done?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The media’s presentation on her decision is clickbait . To present her as a fair and just supreme court judge .

A conference is already scheduled for December 13th discussing the same matter in a separate case . She can’t let that ruling stand until the other case was discussed by SCOTUS.

She had no choice but to issue a stay on this latest verdict.

She was handcuffed and had no choice .

And the Supreme Court is already scheduled to meet Dec. 13 in a closed-door conference to consider a separate request from Trump involving the 2nd Circuit’s opinion ordering Mazars to hand over Trump’s financial records to a grand jury in New York.

Source

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
I remember a bunch of people celebrating every time her health was in question, hoping she'd leave somehow.

I still hate her.

Just because she might have done the right thing.

There's absolutely no reason for Trump and his families invasion of privacy.

Mueller is over.

Schiff Report had jack snip to do with finances.

So It's just more abuse of power.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I don't cheer for her bad health, but I do think it is time for her to step down because of it. It's her life to do as she pleases, but I don't wish any ill upon her even though I disagree with her politics.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So I don't know much about her since I can't vote her in or out. I don't understand the cult following or the disdain.

What has she done to make you hate her?

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I don't cheer for her bad health, but I do think it is time for her to step down because of it. It's her life to do as she pleases, but I don't wish any ill upon her even though I disagree with her politics.

Personally I don't think appointments should be life long. If her health effects her decision making or attendance dramatically... I wouldn't argue maybe it's time for another. I say that as someone who doesn't want a heavy concervative leaning court.

I don't want a left or right leaning court. It's one of the few places in government everyone should want politics to stay out of it. The way laws are interpreted shouldn't be decided by BS two party politics.

Personally I'd like as moderate of a court as possible.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Personally I don't think appointments should be life long. If her health effects her decision making or attendance dramatically... I wouldn't argue maybe it's time for another. I say that as someone who doesn't want a heavy concervative leaning court.

I don't want a left or right leaning court. It's one of the few places in government everyone should want politics to stay out of it. The way laws are interpreted shouldn't be decided by BS two party politics.

Personally I'd like as moderate of a court as possible.

I want people who are not stuck in their thinking. That is my problem with the liberal justices. They basically never cross party lines. Conservative justices tend to be the only ones who cross ideologies, and that should be the hallmark of EVERY justice.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

ill take a stab at it ,i do not hate her but i do not agree with some of her rulings

some on the right hate her because of her pro choice stance which is why a lot on the left consider her a saint

she is a fan of gun control of which at least me and some republicans are not fans of

biggest issue for most conservatives is she votes very very left ,which makes the left love her and the right dislike her (shes like the lefts scalia if that makes sense?)

www.teenvogue.com...

the relgious right hates her because of her part in legalizing gay marriage ,again the left loves her for it so its kind of a matter of opinion on weather you like or dislike her

www.law.cornell.edu... here is a list of all her rulings if you wanted to do research but its a LONG list so wont quote any of it

i only have beef with her over gun control and would like her to step down to enjoy more time with her children and grand children but wish her no ill health but im also admittedly partisan on trump getting to replace her to ensure a conservative majority mostly for protecting gun rights . hope i was of use

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Yea that's a long list.

I'm trying to find a list of the contiversial decisions.... But I'm having a hard time finding anything that puts it simply.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

the problem with that would be which side considers them controversial

townhall.com... this would be the most recent one as the left very much wants trumps financial records and for now she put a stay on them

www.thenation.com... these are the two i found but been semi distracted with other posts and doing laundry

edit to add she was one of the key votes in legalizing abortion which sure seems to be a controversial issue here and in America but not one that i have an opinion on

www.msnbc.com...

www.newyorker.com... more on oc conner

edit on 7-12-2019 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I love weekend at Ruthie's best show on Earth

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

It is only a hold not a cancellation...if he is impeached then it doesn't matter.

He is not worth wasting precious resources.

They sure have wasted it trying to make doo doo up though on DJT and any body that is working for the people against the Cabal who has some members working with them from the place we call Congress.

edit on 7-12-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join