It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm up for a Laugh...Music...Digital vs. Analog?????

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I had someone earlier today trying to tell me how superior digital music is to analog music. I almost couldn't contain myself!

I live and work in a complex digital environment, but without passing any judgement (here), I'd like to get your thoughts.

Has digital recording improved the frequency response of music, has it improved music in general...or has it degraded it??

I DO have an opinion, and I will share it...after a few responses.

Note: I suspect you know what my opinion will be (but maybe not).

What do you think??

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Digital music takes the human out of the music.

The soul, as it were.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Just to circumvent some obvious responses...YES, I am acutely aware that the music you "hear" is an analog signal, and I am equally acutely aware that the music which is "played/performed' is an analog sound.

So please, let's not go there. What I'm talking about is the music media distribution medium (i.e. CD's, DVD's, amplification, equalization, compression, etc)
edit on 12/6/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I have a lot of vinyl.

They sound better to me.

Does that help?

ETA... I know nothing about the recording and distribution part of music.

I know what sounds better though.
edit on 6-12-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Sssshhh...don't tell anyone, but you have a good 'ear'.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have heard good and bad from both tapes, LP's, CD's, DVD's and on and on. Digital has a lower noise floor, but you must have very good gear for it to sound truly good. With a bad CD, it still sounds bad.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I have a lot of vinyl.

They sound better to me.

Does that help?

ETA... I know nothing about the recording and distribution part of music.

I know what sounds better though.

I prefer digital, but not MP3s... too many audio "artifacts". They sound like trash.

24bit FLAC is absolute ear candy...

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I really used to appreciate vinyl and on the right equipment. But prefer digital at least till my left ear when wonky, most days it sounds like I've got water in it, likely from heavy metal days, target practicing, riding dirt bikes and years of lawn maintenance work.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

"Noise floor"???? LOL!

Okay.

It actually has a 'higher' noise floor, which is cancelled out (i.e. cut off), but okay. And, it has a lower 'noise' ceiling, above which is also cut out (digitally), but again...okay.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Ah, a discerning ear.../sarc

FLAC...yeah the best "ear candy"! LOL. /sarc.

You do know the technology with FLAC, right? And why it even exists? It exists because people are revolting against MP3 like compression technology which is below zero in terms of quality. FLAC is an attempt to appeal to people wanting more fidelity from the music which already sucks in the industry right now. Seriously.

It's just a different "compression" CODEC.

ETA - Tell me, how many "bits" is analog??? Okay, easier question, how many "megapixels" is a 35mm Ektachrome photographic slide? (Answer - It's like 2,000 times more than the best digital camera money can buy!)

See where I'm headed here?

edit on 12/6/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Since you seem to be asking about playback systems, not production conventions, I'll simply say "analog". But this is a deceptively complex question, you know.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

You do know the technology with FLAC, right? And why it even exists? It exists because people are revolting against MP3 like compression technology which is below zero in terms of quality. FLAC is an attempt to appeal to people wanting more fidelity from the music which already sucks in the industry right now. Seriously.

MP3 seriously blows, that's for sure. I'm currently listening to Yes "And You And I", remastered 24 bit FLAC... the sound is flawless, with zero noise.

It's ear candy.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Well, yes, I'll grant you that, but how many people understand even the intake side versus the production, storage and transport side???

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   

You hear no "noise" because a good portion of the spectrum has simply been cut off.

Seriously!

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

You hear no "noise" because a good portion of the spectrum has simply been cut off.

Seriously!

Maybe, that part of the spectrum started screaming about impeachment...

...endlessly.

Better off without it, I say...
edit on 6-12-2019 by madmac5150 because: Gattafinga!

edit on 7-12-2019 by madmac5150 because: Gattafinga!

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   

LOL!!

Okay.

LOL!

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

ETA - Tell me, how many "bits" is analog??? Okay, easier question, how many "megapixels" is a 35mm Ektachrome photographic slide? (Answer - It's like 2,000 times more than the best digital camera money can buy!)

See where I'm headed here?

I used to use that same argument, as a photographer.

I quit shooting film (Fuji Velvia 64 was my film of choice), because no one processes film reliably anymore.

That's progress... love it, or hate it. It is, what it is.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Just my opinion, digital has the ability to be better, If you go high bitrate and connect your storage medium directly to a high quality dac, you can exceed the quality of any analog storage device. In practice, most people chose a highly compressed format such as mp3, and broadcasts over bluetooth which recompresses the signal to broadcast and requires it to be decoded yet again.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I've spent most of my life playing music, and I have some production skills, but a lot of the heavy-hitting technical stuff is still over my head. I mean, you'd have to have a background in electronics, with all the attendant jargon, to make a very good case. I'm very much a jack-of-trades sort and can barely describe what decibels are.

But hear me out on this one point. Take guitar technology. "Line 6" is one of the more popular designers of "modelling" technology. (That's insider-speak for "phoney sounds".) One of those Line 6 amps or modules can dial in 1,000,001 different tube amp models, and it's convenient because tube amps are heavy and spendy. But the fact remains that the digital domain often emulates analog, which is very telling. All the modern, fancy dancy, binary coded touchscreen toys cannot and will never match the complexity of tube-driven tone and dynamics.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
Just my opinion, digital has the ability to be better, ...

No, no it doesn't...not EVER!

In life, no digital signal can ever contain more information than the analog signal it originates from. It's simply not possible!

Sorry.

P.S. the "best" a digital signal can hope for is to 'nearly' replicate another digital signal, but it can never come close to replicating an analog signal. it's just simple physics.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join