It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traumatic memory wiping.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm listening to an old Art Bell, Dark Matter episode, with Michio Kaku.
This episode is from Sept 2013.

Dr. Kaku says at that time they were able to implant a false memory into a mouse.

This episode is 6 years old.
How far do you think they have come since?

Now ponder this, if they could implant a false memory then,
Do you think they can remove memories now or if not now, perhaps in the not so distant future?

How beneficial would it be to be able to remove memories?
I'm not considering nefarious purposes here.
More of a perfect world type of scenario where we don't have to worry about that.

But what came to my mind was how long until we are able to remove traumatic memories from our vets.

Memories that have taken over the lives of these heroes, leaving them in a disabled state.

I myself suffer from PTSD from my time with Fire and Rescue.
For the most part, I feel I have things under control now.
There are still nights when things come back to haunt me, but I deal with it.

I just wonder how many others would be willing to have memories of trauma removed from their minds?

Just a thought

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The government will twist anything potentially positive into something nefarious. I don’t trust them to use any new tech in a way that benefits mankind.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

My initial response would be to worry about fabricated memories to trigger emotional responses that could potentially be devastating. Or unnaturally pacifying.

That said, how many traumatic memories can you really endure, mind control or not, before something just breaks? Interesting to think about.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

My personal and non-scientifically supported opinion is that the brain is only a bank for the necessary and more immediate memories. Everything else is encrypted in the soul. So to delete a memory from the brain might effectively repress the memory to the point that it manifests psychosomatically as PTSD often does. Basically, you might be able to wipe the hard drive, but its all backed up in the cloud.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
And that’s what I meant by a perfect world situation.
One where we don’t have to worry about the government abusing this type of technology.

Maybe like a Utopia type of scenario.
You pay to go to a very special relaxation for PTSD retreat and they treat you by removing the intrusive thoughts.
And like I said, perfect world...
The government doesn’t have the ability to acquire this tech because it’s privately owned by The Dahli Llama.
So ya, your headed to the DL’s private get away to get the procedure done lol.

Isn’t it a sad state of affairs when someone has a hard time coming up with a scenario we’re the Government Doesn’t abuse power. Lol

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
An entertaining movie, featuring Jim Carrey, was made about this.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Isn’t it a sad state of affairs when someone has a hard time coming up with a scenario we’re the Government Doesn’t abuse power. Lol

I'd say it's completely healthy. A utopia is a fun thought experiment for lots of reasons, but completely unrealistic.

This whole concept reminds my of eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind.

ETA: someone beat me to it.

edit on 6-12-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don’t know if I would be willing to under go ECT (electroconvulsive therapy)
But these geniuses at Harvard certainly think it might work.
Link to ECT article

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: azbowhunter

That movie is referenced in the article I posted the link for

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

My initial response would be to worry about fabricated memories to trigger emotional responses that could potentially be devastating. Or unnaturally pacifying.

That said, how many traumatic memories can you really endure, mind control or not, before something just breaks? Interesting to think about.

That is the same thought I had. Truely horrific traumatic false memories implanted to change the personality of the target. Imagine they make the target think he’s a murderer or some kind of sicko in the past. It’s not real and this person doesn’t know it but goes through life believing they are scum. What if they change thoughts in multiple people’s lives and gaslight a target! That’s truely horrific

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

This episode is 6 years old.
How far do you think they have come since?

Now let me see... MK-ULTRA (look up Alice in Wonderland) was started in the 1960's...

I believe they have gotten a lot further than what Dr. Kaku dreams possible.

As for memories, leave mine alone.

Handling them has made me stronger.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

ECT has good results in scrambling short term memories. For longer term PTSD it is like removing cancer with a shot gun. Fry enough brain cells and you will forget how to tie your shoe laces.

One less traumatic technique for forgetting traumatic events is to subtly change little details as you replay these events in your mind. Start small like the color of an object, gradually add and change other details as you replay these events. Eventually it will help blur out the details of these events and help it fade away.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Veryolduser

But it would make a decent movie!

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Nope leave my memories alone, if i want to blank something out i use Alcohol or did in the past .

I used to work with firemen and heard all the stories from those guys of how horrific the job can be especially the clean up afterwards no wonder they were raging alkies and made the keystone cops seem like amateurs when they got a shout for a fire

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Well I for one don't want any scientists genetically altering my brain cells to become light sensitive so that an electrode can be stuck in me brains while laser is beamed at it, in order for me to experience something someone else is experiencing while connected to me via those electrodes, for me to 'remember' it.

No sirree..

edit on 7-12-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

You are bang on there.
Only 1 fire call still eats at me to this day.
The other 2 major ones where highway rescues.

Sober 6 years now though!

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I hate to say this, but I have a family member who has some really distorted memories from childhood.

She is not crazy, not mentally ill, but she remembers events completely different then what actually occurred.

I thought for the longest time that I was the one mis-remembering until one of my other sisters called me to compare notes. There are five of us girls and five boys. When we compare our memories to hers, they are always off.

Maybe we are her Mandela Effect, or she is ours.

Memories can be tricky.

edit on 7-12-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Miss print.

posted on Dec, 7 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I think hitting the sauce was how most guys dealt with things back then, No one had heard of PTSD and the two part time guys i worked with that were in the fire service took it all in their stride but looking back it must have affected them terribly what they saw and had to do, what i remember them telling me about the aftermath of fires always put me of joining the service that and the way those guys drank at the station bar
it really was like the keystone cops sometimes

top topics

join