It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schiff’s release of phone records is absolutely outrageous

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Full title to the article was to long and truncated.

So now we have Schiff doing exactly what he is accusing the President of. Abuse of power!

Sometimes the hypocrisy in Washington is so bad it is almost laughable. The House impeachment witch hunt reached that level this week with the revelations that Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., had acquired and published personal phone records of Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., (the ranking member on the Intelligence Committee), two of President Trump’s personal attorneys, and an investigative journalist Schiff doesn’t like.

This act was brazen and shameful. While it may not have been illegal (because Congress writes its own rules on investigations) it certainly was wrong. It certainly tramples on rights normally held dear by the left.

But most of all what it did was expose that Schiff, for all of his pompous bluster, is doing exactly what he has accused President Trump of doing: using his power to investigate his political opponents.

[url=https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sen-rand-paul-schiffs-release-of-phone-records-is-absolutely-outrageous-heres-what-has-to-happen-next]Source[/url ]
www.foxnews.com...

It’s one thing to go through the courts to obtain phone records. It’s another when you completely avoid the courts and a citizens right to due process. Another thing that’s tricky is he has done this to Rudy Guiliani and most likely Trump himself, so would that be considered a violation of attorney client privilege? The cherry on top is he has targeted journalists too, Solomon to be exact.

So a question to the left on this site. Is this the new standard you want for our country? Random politicians calling up cell providers and obtaining your personal records without one day in court?
edit on 6-12-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Dec 6 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix links

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

But most of all what it did was expose that Schiff, for all of his pompous bluster, is doing exactly what he has accused President Trump of doing: using his power to investigate his political opponents.

Yep!

Do as we say not as they do.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Sorry everyone, I’m trying to get the link fixed. If anyone notices the issue let me know and I’ll correct it.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

What he’s doing is really wrong and I hope all of this comes back on him ten fold. I don’t like to condone violence but.......Schiff is one of those backstabbing arrogant little pompous weasels that takes joy in watching other people suffer. He just needs a good ass kicking and then he would go crawl back under his rock and disappear, he’s a cowards coward and a piece of Schiff!

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Remember those are the same people that whine about the Patriot Act.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Also makes me think that this is a "power" that has been abused by him or other members of congress before. What does it take for them to do that on an actual legal basis for a normal citizen if it seems they can do it to other people in powerful conditions and who in AT&T went along with the request and if so why werent any flags raised if this wasn't a legal request of that corporation.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Remember those are the same people that whine about the Patriot Act.

Washington, D.C. – Democratic Congressman Adam Schiff, who represents California’s 29th District, and Republican Congressman Jeff Flake, who represents Arizona’s 6th District, were deeply troubled by reports of abuse of PATRIOT Act powers by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). An audit by the Justice Department found that the FBI improperly used powers afforded to them by the PATRIOT Act to acquire personal information on U.S. citizens.

“The abuses of authority we learned of today are alarming and must be addressed,” said Schiff. “It was most disturbing to learn that there were many cases in which federal agents demanded records and made assurances that grand jury subpoenas were forthcoming – when none was later provided or even contemplated. I commend House Judiciary Committee Chairman Conyers for announcing his intention to immediately schedule hearings on this issue so that Congress can probe these abuses and determine what legislative response is necessary.”

He was against ABUSE until He was For ABUSE.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
Also makes me think that this is a "power" that has been abused by him or other members of congress before. What does it take for them to do that on an actual legal basis for a normal citizen if it seems they can do it to other people in powerful conditions and who in AT&T went along with the request and if so why werent any flags raised if this wasn't a legal request of that corporation.

I would’ve thought they needed some form of a warrant to obtain those records legally, at the very least it’s exploitation of the Patriot Act. Rudy is a civilian at the moment, so my assumption would be that they could do it to just about anyone.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

The big difference for me is that Trump went to a foreign government to get at a political opponent. Not saying it's ok for either side to do it but going to a foreign government is a big no-no. It's even written in the Constitution.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Yep, that’s the bigger picture here. If he can do this to the most powerful people in the world. People like us have no shot at a fair shake in our justice system. The only things it seems the Democrats in the House care about is adjusting laws to keep them in power.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

"Random politicians calling up cell providers and obtaining your personal records without one day in court?"

That comes later...a search warrant can be obtained from a judge in bed in his underwear. You don't get a day in court. Not yet, not then. Maybe never....

If... you're up on "charges"...THEN you can argue....not before. The law divulges nothing in legal investigations....ever heard of "wiretapping". Court order, judge authorized....and you haven't any right to stop it, during it.

If evidence found and you're charged...then you have right to evidence obtained.

From inside the LEO complex, Wayne County, Mich

edit on 6-12-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Difference there is.

Schiff used political motivation to get dirt on his political opponents.

Normal wiretapping is apolitical.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Difference there is.

Schiff used political motivation to get dirt on his political opponents.

Normal wiretapping is apolitical.

Was only addressing the particulars...not motivation.

A cop doesn't need much for a privately obtained court order search. Just convince the judges....you believe an order is necessary. The "investigated" may not know until charges are brought...or never

edit on 6-12-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

If... you're up on "charges"...THEN you can argue....not before. The law divulges nothing in legal investigations....ever heard of "wiretapping". Court order, judge authorized....and you haven't any right to stop it, during it.

Ever heard the saying Impeachment is a political process and not a legal process?

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The problem is Impeachment is a purely political process.

Schiff violated other peoples civil liberty.

IE abuse of power.

Because now POLITICS is ignoring our due process RIGHTS.
edit on 6-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

The big difference for me is that Trump went to a foreign government to get at a political opponent. Not saying it's ok for either side to do it but going to a foreign government is a big no-no. It's even written in the Constitution.

Please quote for me in the Constitution where it says that if an American citizen commits a crime in a foreign country we have a treaty with for Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters that asking for an investigation into it is itself a crime.

Thanks in advance...

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

False, Biden hadn’t even announced his candidacy yet.

The call in question happened April 21st and Biden announced his candidacy on April 25th.
edit on 6-12-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: Add info

edit on 6-12-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Congress’ power to issue subpoenas, while broad, is not unlimited. The high court has said Congress is not a law enforcement agency, and cannot investigate someone purely to expose wrongdoing or damaging information about them for political gain. A subpoena must potentially further some “legitimate legislative purpose,” the court has said.

Schiff ABUSED the power of his office.

Because that is clearly what he did to Guliani,Nunes,Solomon.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
So a question to the left on this site. Is this the new standard you want for our country? Random politicians calling up cell providers and obtaining your personal records without one day in court?

Yes. If a Democrat violates any laws or their oath to the Constitution I expect Republicans not to be so incompetent but to nail the Democrat arse and put them in jail by any legally obtained evidence.

For years we've heard how corrupt Hillary is but nothing ever happens. It's time for Republicans to put up or shut up! Indict the left wing mother effers already and stop being so effing incompetent!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join