It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heres an interesting question for ya

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

In my opinion, if Trump were convicted and removed by the Senate, Pence would be pretty much a "lame duck" president -- just there to keep the seat warm until the next president was sworn in. He might immediately give Trump a blanket pardon, much like Ford gave Nixon. But there isn't enough time for Pence to really work on and promote his own policies or programs.

And even if Trump were impeached, his re-election is still almost assured. So to stop him, the Senate would have to introduce and pass a motion to specifically prohibit Trump from holding office again... and I seriously doubt that's going to happen. Even if there are enough "Never Trumpers" to want to, they wouldn't dare because the public outrage would be too much, and they know it. Not just Republican/conservative supporters of Trump, but the Independents and Third Parties and even many Democrats who know this is a Star Chamber.

I don't know enough about Pence to have an opinion on what kind of president he'd be under different circumstances. But my default opinion on all political critters -- and therefore Pence -- is that he's rotten to the core just like all the rest!
edit on 6-12-2019 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: fringeofthefringe
Since your not an American I will give you some inside information....even if "they" impeach President Trump he will not be removed from office.
End of discussion.
Where are you from?
Oh I see,Canada..one of my favorite movies growing up was "Strange Brew"
Take off eh. I am not a fan of your prime minister and I am disappointed what happened to Molson Golden...it has never tasted the same since Coors took over. Was it Coors?
I used to love Molson Golden Ale, but is seems to be gone forever. What a shame. Anyway, Trump isn't going to be removed from office so you need not worry.

originally posted by: Akragon
This really has nothing to do with me... I can't stand politics, but I wanted to hear what you americans think about this

Here we go... IF they actually impeach trump...

Will that mike pence guy be any better?

Guy seems like a twit... but what do I know...

whacha think?

no worries here mate...

Just a nifty question that popped into my head... and I wanted to see what people thought about it

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Pence will be just as bad as Trump but that is not a good reason not to impeach Trump. The Constitution is more sacred than any one president or party. No one is above the laws. Trump's interpretation of his authority has gone too far.

I think the bigger problem for America and Americans is the total number of people who want to scrap the Constitution in favor of a military style dictatorship. We have way too many authoritarians in this country who are desperate to kneel before their daddy authority figure. People despise Congress. People lover STRONG leadership and dictatorship.

It's very sad but I expect any day now Trump is going to scrap the Constitution and start putting opposition party members, college professors, and journalists in jail. It's what the right wingers want. People on the right want to worship STRONG leadership.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That's right, they want to silence opposing voices with impunity.

Trumps superpower is exposing the authoritirains among us.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   

If (and that's a huge 'if') Trump were to be removed by the Senate, I would predict that almost simultaneously, and certainly before he could appoint a replacement VP, Mike Pence would commit suicide. As in, he would likely kill himself with a shotgun blast to the back to the head... twice... or something similar.

We would then have our new Democratic nominee for 2020... President Pelosi (*shudder*).

Think of it...

Re-elect Pelosi/O'Rourke 2020!
Keep the Faith!

(Beto would probably be her VP because he has toed the party line and as a life insurance policy. What could be worse than President Pelosi? President O'Rourke!)

But... as has been said many times, that won't happen. Pelosi likely doesn't have the votes yet in the House, or she thinks she does but by a very slim and tenuous margin. This would be the third time the House has had a vote on impeachment, and it hasn't passed yet. An impeachment vote in the House does nothing but send the impeachment to the Senate, who will then hold a trial presided over by Chief Justice John Roberts (a stickler for procedure and legal precedence) and will require a conviction and vote for removal by 67 Senators. As of now there are 53 Republicans and 47 Democrats/Independents in the Senate, so 20 Republicans (over 37%) would have to vote for conviction and removal to remove Donald Trump from office.

It is also possible (although unusual) for the final vote to be for conviction but not for removal. That's up the Senate.

There is also a possibility that Chief Justice Roberts could not preside over the trial if he is called as a witness. One of the witnesses in the House Intelligence Committee hearings tied the allegations to the FISA warrant scandal, and that is under the direct supervision of Chief Justice Roberts. In that case, since the Constitution specifically requires that the Chief Justice preside over the trial, Roberts could possibly have to step down to Associate Justice and another of the present Associate Justices would have to be made Chief Justice. So it could be Chief Justice Clarence Thomas or Chief Justice Brett Kavanaugh presiding.

In addition, an impeachment trial requires all Senators to attend the hearings. Senators Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders included, which would mean they would be unable to campaign during that time... and there is no timetable for the impeachment trial. It takes however long it takes. That could prevent either Senator from having any real chance in the 2020 election, leaving it a tossup between Joe Biden and Mayor Pete. Mayor Pete has little experience and many call him a failed Mayor, and Biden will likely be called to testify and will have his name smeared in an open trial (and despite what he says, no, he cannot refuse to testify before the Senate if subpoenaed... those subpoenas carry the full weight of law).

Also, Mike Pence's 'suicide' would have to take place almost immediately after the conviction, before he could appoint a Vice President. The Senate does have to confirm the VP, but since it is Republican-controlled that would be almost instantaneous. So timing would be difficult.

In other words, it ain't gonna happen. Consider it the nightmare that never was.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Here we go... IF they actually impeach trump...

Will that mike pence guy be any better?

Then they'd make up snip to impeach Pence.

and Batsnip whacko Pelosi become president.

And her partner in Crime-Schiff becomes the new speaker.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Then they'd make up snip to impeach Pence.

and Batsnip whacko Pelosi become president.

No, Pence would appoint a new VP as soon as he became President. That appointment could be approved within a few days by the Senate. For Pelosi to become President, Pence would have to be unable to fulfill his duties before that happened.

Remember what happened during Watergate: Agnew (Nixon's VP) resigned first, as he was involved in the scandal as well. Nixon then appointed Ford, pardoned Agnew, and resigned. Ford became President, pardoned Nixon, and appointed Nelson Rockefeller as his VP. There were very short time spans where there was no VP, certainly not long enough to allow for the lengthy process of impeachment.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Pence's brand of conservatism is just as outputting to me as many of the progressives. So if you're asking my personal opinion, I wouldn't like that happening.

As far as the motive, I think the political angle has been to milk this for campaign sound bites (ironically I think it is galvanizing his base more than building one for the left).

I'd hope to think they realize they can't actually remove him, although given the fact they haven't wised up to their flaws from 16', that may be giving them too much credit. Maybe they are trying to remove him so they don't have to compete with him in 2020. That would be funny though, as it would be another example of not selling their platform, but rather just attacking the opponent.

Say what you want about Trump, and all feelings aside, I think he truly did sell a platform leading up to 16'. Whether or not he has delivered is moot, but he sold one hell of an ambitious platform. Hillary and the DNC sold "we're not Trump" and "he's a _______ist and a bigot, and so is anyone who supports him".

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Who do you think Pence would appoint as is VP? That is an interesting thought experiment.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

In addition, an impeachment trial requires all Senators to attend the hearings. Senators Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders included, which would mean they would be unable to campaign during that time... and there is no timetable for the impeachment trial. It takes however long it takes. That could prevent either Senator from having any real chance in the 2020 election, leaving it a tossup between Joe Biden and Mayor Pete. Mayor Pete has little experience and many call him a failed Mayor, and Biden will likely be called to testify and will have his name smeared in an open trial (and despite what he says, no, he cannot refuse to testify before the Senate if subpoenaed... those subpoenas carry the full weight of law).

Very interesting, thanks

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Who do you think Pence would appoint as is VP? That is an interesting thought experiment.

Now that the GOP has gone all in with the Russians, perhaps they could convince Putin to step up!!

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

They are impeaching trump.
There is no "IF".
Nancy announced it yesterday.
Its a done deal.
This is now his legacy. Impeached president.

Joins a very exclusive group, he must be so proud.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zelun

There wont be any blow back if he gets removed from office.
Pence will become president, and BIden or Bloomberg will beat him in Nov next year.
You can bet there wont be any uprising over it. Maybe a nut job or two but not wholesale.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Him getting removed is still a big if.

Odds are -1000 he doesn't get removed, meaning you'd have to bet 1000 dollars to win 100 that he stays in office.

I do find it curious Bloomberg has support from the left seeing he is a billionaire and all.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I can't wait until the senate impeachment trial does NOT remove Trump but instead eviscerates the corrupt dems and then Trump goes on to win 2020.
Silly dem heads will implode and I will enjoy that very much.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Hmmm... that is interesting!

I suppose Rudy Guiliani could be a candidate... and if Pence steps down, we could have President Guiliani! Remember, the Senate is Republican, so whoever he nominates would likely be rubber-stamped.

Or, considering Pence has much in common ideologically with Judge Roy Moore...

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I think it would be Paul Ryan. Though if he wanted to be smart, and appease the whole party while improving his optics, Nikki Haley would be a great choice.

If he wanted to keep the support of the full Trump base though, which doesn't seem to be exclusively Republican, Ivanka might be his choice.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

If he wanted to keep the support of the full Trump base though, which doesn't seem to be exclusively Republican, Ivanka might be his choice.

Ivanka would be the perfect choice now that politics is more in the realm of theatrical surrealism than government.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Ivanka would be the perfect choice now that politics is more in the realm of theatrical surrealism than government.

Yea, that's pretty much how I see it.

I've given up on seeing a candidate I'm passionate about or truly support.

So the context of my comments are usually how I see things, not what I agree with. I'm just kind of cynical now.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: JinMI

Mike Pence has respect for the rule of law. He has respect for protocols, norms and policies. He has respect for our military generals and Pentagon officials and he better understands the role of unelected civil government employees. He has respect for his foreign counterparts.

He won't foment division, hate and petty feuds. He's all business, no malarkey.

And Sooki thinks he is hot...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join