It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone got an Instant Pot and any favorite recipes they want to share?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I've never done it in a broth, only in gravy. The gravy turns out great.

I only want to do it to bone broth to add more nutrients. I don't know how it will turn out, but I get scrap bones for 99c a pound and typically freeze scrap veggies. So if I mess up a 5 dollar pot, worse things will have happened.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I would make your stock and keep that separate and fortify your stock into a broth adding aromatics and the organs. That would be my plan. I would probably roast the heart or cure it then add it in last like a soup but now we are getting crazy esoteric.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

cheap beef, onion, garlic, a cup of beef broth, 2 tablespoons of flour, and salt and pepper. Set it for 45 min, leave it alone for about 2.5 hours. Just before you are ready to eat, make some instant mashed potatoes. the meat will all be shredded, in it's own gravy, and you just pout it over the potatoes. it's easy, and good.

I also like throwing whatever chicken is laying around and some Bar-b-q sauce. The chicken will be fall off the bone, and the sauce will make it taste nice. And again, it's easy. Plenty of time for a cold beer.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Chicken thighs, some brown sugar, soy sauce (don't be skimpy) white vinegar, lots of garlic. That's it.
Sorry I don't measure things anymore so you'll have to do it by smell/look/taste.

Can be cooked in instapot or crockpot. The sauce is to die for. The vinegar smell is a little overpowering when you are making it, but when you eat it it's not.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Is it kind of like Korean BBQ or more like teriyaki?

Either way, sounds great.

I'd probably add a touch of fish sauce, hair of ginger, and some Thai chili peppers. 😉

Maybe finish with some green onion. Mmmmmm

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don't care for the instapots, but it does sound like it may be great for making bone broth. It takes over ten hours of boiling bones to make bone broth. In the winter it is not bad, you have to heat your house anyway so it is not much more expensive. But doing that in the summer heats the house up too much. I usually make regular soups in the summer that only need like three hours of boiling to make the stock.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I *LOVE* my Instant Pot. I use it all the time..... Below is a list of the most common recipes I use my IP for:

Pork Roast w/Potatoes, Carrots & Onions
Ham & Potato Soup
Chicken & Rice Stew
Chicken & Dumplings
Stew Beef, Lentils, and Vegetables
BBQ Shredded Beef
Chili
Cheese Dip
Lots of broth - bone broth, chicken broth, pork broth, beef broth....you name it
Oh yeah, and boiled eggs...lol

Let me know if there's any specific recipe you want....
edit on 4-12-2019 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Not to mention doing it in a pot compensates for lost humidity in the winter, so that's an added benefit of old school.

I like it because I can do it fast and in smaller batches (I only cook for myself).

But both sides have benefits!

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Hey, Ive been making this pot roast recipe for a year now...Im a hero around the house when I make it.
www.thereciperebel.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Haha, you definitely get some use out of yours!

And like you, I think I'm gonna do a lot of broths.

One day in gonna start tinkering with homemade ramen, I'll make the noodles too so it's actually healthy and not a sodium bomb.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I almost forgot....I made Ham and Beans with it on Sunday....

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I often cook stuff up in the Instant Pot and then freeze the leftovers in individual portions (in baggies or bowls). Makes it super easy to reheat whatever we want without having to remake a whole meal.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I have mine full of ham and beans right now. Smells amazing. I cook SO much in it! I have two of them lol. I basically think of meals then look up how to cook it in an instant pot. Haven't been disappointed yet.
edit on 4-12-2019 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
I have mine full of ham and beans right now. Smells amazing. I cook SO much in it! I have two of them lol. I basically think of meals then look up how to cook it in an instant pot. Haven't been disappointed yet.
Couldnt agree more, however I do still do all searing in a cast iron pan.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Same. I'll use the saute function for browning ground beef for chili, etc... But it doesn't quite get hot enough for a proper sear.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yeah, I got one as a wedding gift. It's pretty awesome. I've only used it once so far for conventional white trash casserole with fresh green beans..
It's amazing how fast it cooks stuff.
You start the beans in chicken stock and it took about 2 mins to cook, then another couple mins to finish.
Yum
It'd be great for potato based recipes, I bet

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'd probably add a touch of fish sauce, hair of ginger, and some Thai chili peppers. 😉

More like teriyaki. The sauce is amazing!

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The ginger I buy doesn't have hair...?

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
For me, the instant pot's great strength is being able to do it all in one container. MY spaghetti sauce recipe has numerous steps, separately browning meat, cooking up raw tomatoes, cooking down peppers before finally going into slow cook mode. It's a mess with convetional setup, a couple of skillets, at least one extra bowl maybe two- cleanup sux. But with the instant pot I only need the extra bowl to hold the meat while the veggies saute. With the one pot, cleanup after a multi-stage cook is a breeze.

Slow cook a roast - without instant pot there's the inevitable "browning vessel" & then the slow cooker.
Instant pot I can saute/brown and then slow cook or pressure cook (with variations for soups stews rice etc.)
You'll find slow cooking has great advantage over pressure cooking and vice versa, depending upon the dish.

One tip: always cook bean-type soups on pressure cooker to get the beans softened up quickly - if you've got a soup that requires time to set your flavor profile, go to slow cook for a couple of hours after the pressure's off. Stuff with tomatoes comes to mind for something that has to cook down to get the taste right.

An other is follow the rice instructions to the tee - I pressure cook (rice setting) for 5 minutes, then use the natural let off method instead of just popping it open at the end of five minutes, let it sit for 10-15. Rice comes out perfect every time, with or without the recommend drop of oil or two.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

I had a good friend in high school whose parents were from Italy. They barely spoke English.... Her mom taught me to make spaghetti sauce "the old way" which takes about an hour and a half on the stove. It so amazing (and fattening....). I use that sauce for both spaghetti and lasagna. I have served that sauce at numerous company functions and events. People have raved about it (even behind my back.....) and I've won a couple of awards with it.

Since you mentioned it, I'm curious if I can get the same results in the instant pot.....
edit on 5-12-2019 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join