It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone got an Instant Pot and any favorite recipes they want to share?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So last Saturday I was at Kroger getting some stuff to make some white turkey chili. I like to start with my own stock, and due a hangover from the day prior, I was procrastinating a bit and had about 4 hours from once I left the store. I like to have plenty of time to tweak stuff, and wouldn't ya know it, 6qt Instant Pots were on sale for 70 bucks.

Chili turned out great, and in the same trip I acquired 10 pounds of beef bones. So the next day I filled it to the safe line with the beef bones, filled in the cavities with scrap onion, celery, carrot, garlic, various peppers I had laying around, just a hair of thyme, rosemary, sage, better than bouillon, splash of sherry, and apple cider vinegar and made some bone broth to help with the winter.

So far I love the thing. I'm going to do bone broth often, and use it to make various soups so I can get that goodness in me during the winter.

Another thing I want to try is a medium rare eye of the round roast recipe with au jus I saw online. linky

Shared recipes don't have to be easy, or set it and forget it. I actually enjoy just listening to podcasts in the kitchen and going to town. But easy is good too.

So ATS, hook me up with your favorites to do with the Instant Pot, general life hacks, or just general praise of this wonderful and cheap appliance.

edit on 4-12-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Hard Boiled Eggs!!!!!
Never worry about getting the shell off of a hb egg ever again!

Great for proofing dough as well. Only takes 30 minutes.

The instapot was the best investment in a kitchen gadget I have ever made. Now to save up for that damn Kitchen aid mixer!

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Great for proofing dough as well. Only takes 30 minutes.

It's reasons like this that made me decide to make a thread^^^

It's tricks like those I'm looking for.

Kitchen Aid mixer is definitely on my list.... Also, the way things are going, I may have to look at getting a new place with a bigger kitchen for all of said things, which is fine by me.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Hacks we use;

Hard boiled eggs, just add a couple spoonful's of baking soda to the water and the shells come off really easy.

Stuff stuck on pots and pans? Fill with water, drop a dryer sheet in it and wait a couple of minutes, food comes right off.

Cleaning glass on oven doors? Use a dishwasher "brick" to scrub it, cleans it right up.

Those are the ones we use.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Stuff stuck on pots and pans? Fill with water, drop a dryer sheet in it and wait a couple of minutes, food comes right off.

Alternate play, fill with water and soap, and then pretend it doesn't exist for 2 days. When you come back and clean it, food comes right off.

Joking aside, I'm going to try the dryer sheet method... Sometime's I'm in a pinch and have to reuse, so that will definitely come in handy.

Edit: side tangent.... I bought some pork belly last week, cubed it up into 1.5in cubes, and smoked the little bastards until they were burnt ends. Try it.
edit on 4-12-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I’ll bite.

Chuck roast seasoned with salt and pepper
Beef stock (beef broth is for fools)
Red wine
Worcestershire
Salt pepper
Thyme
Rosemary
Sage
Onion
Garlic

This recipe cheats a little. Cuz you do have to use a pan for the initial part. You’ve got to get a nice sear on the meat before slow cooking. Place some olive oil in a pan that’s on high heat. Sear each side for about 5 minutes.

Remove the meat from the pan. Lower heat to medium-low. Add onion and garlic to the drippings to caramelize seasoning them with more salt and pepper. This takes about 20 minutes.

Set crockpot to low. Add meat, onion and garlic mixture. Then add all the other ingredients. Slow cook for about 6 hours or so. This is one of the few meat dishes that you can actually check the meat to see if it’s ready, by piercing it. Very easy to tell when it’s done.

When finished, the meat will fall apart. Remove meat from cooker. Take all other remnants and put it through a strainer.

Now you’ve got some badass meat AND Au Jus for dipping the meat. You’ll have enough of the au jus to freeze and use as liquid gold for future recipes.

🍻

Total cost for this is around $20 bucks. The meat should feed at least 4 people if you get a minimum 2.5 pound chuck. The meat is also good used as leftovers. And I usually HATE leftovers.
edit on 4-12-2019 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Then add all the other ingredients. Slow cook for about 6 hours or so.

Six hours for crock pot yes?

Instant pot would probably be more like an hour

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: KKLOCO

Then add all the other ingredients. Slow cook for about 6 hours or so.

Six hours for crock pot yes?

Instant pot would probably be more like an hour

My bad. I thought that’s what you were talking about. Off to google what the hell an instant pot is. I guess I should have gotten that by it’s name ‘instant’. Duuuuurrrrrrr 🤪
edit on 4-12-2019 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Over the Thanksgiving weekend, my son and daughter in law bought me a 6.5 qt Ninja Foodi.
That's similar to an instapot isn't it?

I've only done a few things in it so far. Trying ham and beans in it today.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: abago71

I love your avatar. Used to be a JW.

Sorry for my apparently, 2nd off topic post....

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Jacques pepin loves a pressure cooker. He has tons of great recipes.

pepin

You can also pressure cook the hell out of beans too. I love a pressure cooker but hate a slow cooker.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, my son and daughter in law bought me a 6.5 qt Ninja Foodi.

No, that's not the same.....

IT'S BETTER!

That's awesome you got one of those bad boys. I can see it can air fry too? Very nice.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I air fried tater tots, chimichangas and fried okra in it so far.
The okra didn't fair well.

I look forward to getting some use out of it so I may try some of the recipes you are all posting.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Yea, poke around online too... I'm super pumped to try the link in the OP of med rare roast with au jus... Imma put that on some nice french bread and make some dippin sammies.

For anyone on the fence for the Instant pot purchase, I will add some caveat.

The number one benefit I'm seeing is time. I did bone broth in about 3 hours vs 12+... So that's nice. They advertise about 70% faster cooking, and from what I've seen, I'd have to agree.

However, clean up is not as easy as just an old fashioned pot. I like my stuff to be spic and span. With that said, the inner lining pot is a breeze, just soak and clean, the place it inserts is just wet rag... But the lid is a bit more. Take the inner ring out, soak it and scrub it (optional, but I do it), flush the valves, then rack dry. There seems to be a dishwasher method for most, but I don't do pots/pans in the dishwasher, old habits die hard.

So the trade off is faster cooking for about 15 extra minutes of attentive cleaning.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I've been making a lot of bread lately. I picked up a Cuisinart breadmachine at Goodwill for $12. Never used, factory wrapped.
I'm going to try making cornbread in it tonight to go with ham and beans cooked in the Foodi along with fried potatoes.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I’m a cook and a weirdo and I eat most everything except maybe liver and sweetbreads (thymus or pancreas). But I do love me some fried chicken gizzards.

Here is a step by step for your pressure cooker. If you try and air fry these the gods will not favor you and your crops will fail next season, so be cautious.

Nothing is better than a fried chicken gizzard sandwich with a bunch of sliced pickle. I like a FCG poboy. Yum.

The Gizzard

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Corn bread a.......

This is a good read. It also has no sugar and sugar added recipes

Corn bread

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I’m a cook and a weirdo and I eat most everything except maybe liver and sweetbreads (thymus or pancreas). But I do love me some fried chicken gizzards.

I'm with you, although I don't outright eat organ meat. It's a textural thing.

I do like using it in gravy base though and then removing it then reducing and thickening. I used the duck giblets and neck to make gravy with it last Friday, turned out great.

I'm also going to start putting organ meat in with my assorted bones when making bone broth. Organs are some of the most nutrient dense food on the planet. I just don't eat it out right.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
IMO, if you can't eat beans and you don't can, pressure cookers are kinda pointless. I still prefer the old fashioned slow cooker with the ceramic crock for everything else. Got a roast you wanna cook? Can't go wrong. Stick it in there for 10 hours and it comes out just fine.

Cabbage? Yep. Squash? Yep. Cleanup is simple. Use a plastic liner and stick the crock and the lid in the dishwasher and you're done.

I can't eat beans (diabetes). I mean, I can but I can't eat a lot of beans and high carb stuff. Pressure cooker is good for some things but I don't like it for meat. And I know the Instant Pot can work (roughly) like a slow cooker but it's not really the same .

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Putting organs in your stock is not traditional at all. You are not going to get a clean stock. I have many questions.

How do you make you base regular daily stock? What organs are you using? How long are you simmering the stock/bone broth? How does it taste?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join