It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So.. You're thinking about getting into VR

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
With just a few weeks before Christmas, there's probably a few people out there thinking about jumping into Virtual reality. Though with so many products on the market how do you decide what to get? Then again you might be one of those who have never tried VR, but you're curious as to how good it really is... Well im here to help since I've kinda went overboard in VR in the last year and a half, though I don't regret any of it

I currently own 5 VR sets... Windows Mixed Reality, PSVR, and all of the Oculus platforms (GO, Quest, RiftS)

I don't use the WMR or the PSVR sets anymore, they're basically collecting dust... so i'll be focusing on the Oculus products here, Though IF you have questions on the aforementioned sets, feel free to ask.

We have three levels of VR to deal with here so i'll start with the bottom rung of the ladder

Oculus GO ($199)

This is the best First step into VR... its a fantastic device.... totally wireless... great for social media and light gaming... Though don't get me wrong, there are tons of games on the GO, but this isn't designed for high end gaming...

1280x1440 per eye (LED) which is a great resolution, even beating the original CV Rift... Crisp and clear visuals... but it is only 3 degrees of freedom
meaning you can look up and down, left and right, and tilt your head... but all things considered for $199, I would highly recommend this device IF you're new to VR...would make an awesome gift for Christmas!

Plus you can sideload some games IF you have a powerful Cpu… definitely a bonus!

Oculus Quest ($399)

This is the next level of VR... 6 degrees of freedom, which unlike the GO, allows you to move around in your area, look around corners, duck, bob and weave... This is basically the PSVR killer....

1440 × 1600 per eye (OLED) amazing visuals due to the inky blacks, also completely wireless, which allows for unparalleled freedom of movement... IPD adjustments on the head set...two controllers with Inside out tracking that works great... no extra sensors or cords, just plug in and Off you go into VR worlds

Back in November Oculus also released the Link... which allows the quest to attach to a powerful cpu which dramatically expanded the library of the quest which is rather limited.. so now you will have access to most of the Steam library as well... this is HUGE!

Though keep in mind this still does not give the quest the same power as their flagship... but with a lot of work arounds and neat tricks, its just a step back

Rift S ($399)

The flagship HMD at the moment... at the same price as the quest, it doesn't get much better as far as clarity and resolution

Love this device!!

1280 × 1440 per eye (LED) even though the quest does have a better resolution, the S still has far better detail and quality of image... but you'll want to avoid this headset IF you don't have a powerful cpu/gpu… it does have a heavy cord which you will step on IF you're not careful... and the built in sound kinda sucks, but ear buds clear that up easily

There are better headsets then the Rift but you'll be looking at spending double or more to get a little better quality, but IF you're really jazzed about VR... theres not much you won't do to get the best

For the price and quality the RIFT S is the best VR set on the market by far... also keep in mind the prices are in American $... you'll pay a bit more in Canada

That's about it... VR is a hot commodity and its getting better every day...

I hope to see more people jumping into it in the future as it gets closer to reality LOL

And I hope this might help anyone that might be looking to jump in this Christmas!!

Happy Holidays Everyone

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Thanks!

I've been thinking about this stuff but didn't know enough about it. I appreciate your time putting this up.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Trust me its my pleasure... people need to know that VR is HERE...

the more people that know, the more the tech improves... the more incredible games and experiences we get

as it stands Microsoft seems to believe "no one is asking for VR"... they're soooo wrong, and they have a lot of pissed dedicated Xbox players right now because of that comment

VR is awesome, and its only getting better.... and im here to help

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

So.. You're thinking about getting into VR

Nope .
But gimme about 2 years.

You already know my stance on the subject .
Most VR games are "phone games" compared to the PC games I have.

edit on 12/3/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Lol... thats all well and good!

This was for people who are on the fence or lost in the possible choice you have at this point

You already have your mind made up

Still... LOL @phone games

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Lol... thats all well and good!

This was for people who are on the fence or lost in the possible choice you have at this point

You already have your mind made up

Still... LOL @phone games

Now , if Death Stranding only had TRUE VR support and not through some 3rd party application.....

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Not my kind of game... kinda looks like Asgards Wrath

Fighting giants and stuff... with guns... not a shooting game fan

Though im sure it would be good in VR

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Not my kind of game... kinda looks like Asgards Wrath

Fighting giants and stuff... with guns... not a shooting game fan

Though im sure it would be good in VR

Death Stranding is not a shooting game. The boss fights are few and far between. It is more about getting stuff from A to B through a (pretty) rugged landscape. It is not my thing either. But there are people who enjoy it quite a bit.

To me VR will be here when they've got better lenses(high fov), displays(high pixel density), eye-tracking at acceptable prices ($399 are fine with me).
edit on 4-12-2019 by moebius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Well brother... human eye resolution is already done...

It only costs $5000... and not really made for gaming...

Im letting everyone know theres an affordable... AWESOME way to get into VR...

the rift S destroyed the high end competition by making an amazing headset that anyone can buy... the quest is the only FULL VR experience that is wireless... and affordable... and the GO is just amazing and so cheap for the quality of the experience...

VR is here... but it ain't cheap...

IF you want FOV check pimax, or a company called starVR… both with over 200 degrees of view... but... I mean... $$$$$$$$$

LOL...

edit on 4-12-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Virtual Reality is awesome ....

We reject your Virtual Reality and substitute our own ...

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

We got a headset for that

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 04:20 AM
link   
There is another option, although it is expensive.

The Valve Index which at $750 is pricey, but it is currently sold out so somebody is clearly buying it.

It sports dual 1440x1600 RGB LCDs

It does include a game for $750 though - Half-Life: Alyx.

Link to detailed headset specs HERE

edit on 4-12-2019 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

Absolutely... and I could have covered such head sets...

But again this is for anyone considering VR...

Oculus made it affordable to anyone, and there is much better sets.... though one has to consider the price of the machine running said options

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   

You summarized it very well...

"VR is here... but it ain't cheap..."

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   

maaaaaaaan...awesome that you did this. I've been itching for a VR for some time now, but havent yet made that step to purchase. Your guide will defo help.

Got a few questions:

1. Can you use any of the non PS VR sets...on PS4 apart from the native PSVR ? So for instance, does Oculus work on PS4 ?
2. Can you give me the name of one game that gave you a great VR experience.
3. I'm assuming that you're using a PC. Does VR need PS4 pro ?

I'll probably think of a few more, now that I know about this thread.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

1. Can you use any of the non PS VR sets...on PS4 apart from the native PSVR ? So for instance, does Oculus work on PS4 ?

no...

2. Can you give me the name of one game that gave you a great VR experience.

I can name several... IF you're on the GO Virtual virtual reality was the game that wow'd me... made me want more...

its crazy and a bit twisted, robots took over, and you're now a slave to ridiculous jobs for them, but theres something behind the scenes...

Elite dangerous in VR is awesome... Theres really nothing like flying a spaceship through the milky way... with 400 million planets to discover... the game is great on flat screen but when you find something special it really shines

Lone echo... Just look it up....

PokerVR… on all platforms now but its a go to game IF you like social games... and poker of course

Superhot... probably one of the best games I've ever played... just look it up lol

3. I'm assuming that you're using a PC. Does VR need PS4 pro ?

no.. PSVR works perfectly fine wth the PS4

VR comes in many ways... windows... Oculus, and steam.... and theres only one consoul VR system at the moment

Im sure theres other platforms for VR as well but those are the major ones

edit on 4-12-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I like the idea of VR and I tried one of the early VR "virtuality" headsets in the 90s,and I have a headset I can plug my s8+ phone into.

But-on both of these I can't last more than a few minutes without getting bad motion sickness-I mean really bad(starts with diziness and then feels like a rock star hangover for an hour or 2 after I remove the headset).
I don't get motion sickness on long fights,a little on boats but nowhere as bad as with VR.

I thought it was because I was overdoing the alcohol(due to a job from hell and other life problems I was recently boozing too hard to black out my miserable existence).
Well I stopped drinking 6 months back as I could see it was becoming a probem-But the VR "hangover" feeling remains..
I am kind of gutted because I would like to be able to enjoy the full immersion of VR.

I recently managed my record-I managed to watch the Disney/Salvador Dali animation called Destino without feeling too bad,just a little bit fuzzy afterwards.
But that film is only 7 minutes,and theres no real movement in the virtual space as its a film rather than a game.

Have you had any motion sickness/side effects?
Are they less with the higher resolution/Hz headsets?
Some say this happens for a while until you get used to the headset-did that happen to you or anyone you know?

I would love to be able to play a huge open world game like Skyrim or Fallout in VR-but I am put off by how ill it makes me feel,so I haven't risked spending money on a proper system.

Any tips appreciated,Cheers

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I had the ps4 vr kit for a while...Its cool, but not for long..

Its got a long way to go, having such a large heavy and awkward headset is a bit negative... and the cables.... and quality of graphics... still got a long way to go.

But, its cool and fun.. if you want to try it, buy a 2nd hand setup for half the price... then you can sell it after 3 months because you never use it for a fraction of a loss..

Give it 5 years.. it could be ultra 4k, lightweight, wireless and 100% immersive... then, it'll be michael j fox awesome

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

First thing you need to know... you can't compare VR on a phone to a dedicated device... I started on a phone, and IF I didn't just dive it, I probably would have given it up...

resolution and FPS (frames per second) is a big chunk of making VR come to life... below 60fps gets pretty funky... but combine that with a low resolution and its just NOT fun... and will turn people off of VR completely!

too many drinks can make you a little sick though... obviously lol

Have you had any motion sickness/side effects?

Oh ya... flying games used to get me... but you learn how to deal with it...
we call em Vlegs (VRlegs) they grow with practice lol

Are they less with the higher resolution/Hz headsets?

big time... so much better with higher resolution and fps...

I would love to be able to play a huge open world game like Skyrim or Fallout in VR-but I am put off by how ill it makes me feel,so I haven't risked spending money on a proper system.

both of which are not made for VR...they're ported to VR... but I hear they work pretty good

Played Skyrim PSVR... works good, but it would take way too long to get anywhere for me in that game...

with mods apparently it looks amazing on the rift

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
I had the ps4 vr kit for a while...Its cool, but not for long..

Its got a long way to go, having such a large heavy and awkward headset is a bit negative... and the cables.... and quality of graphics... still got a long way to go.

But, its cool and fun.. if you want to try it, buy a 2nd hand setup for half the price... then you can sell it after 3 months because you never use it for a fraction of a loss..

Give it 5 years.. it could be ultra 4k, lightweight, wireless and 100% immersive... then, it'll be michael j fox awesome

PSVR is actually the bottom of the list when it comes to visual quality...

Try a Rift... or even a GO for that matter...

theres a big difference

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join