It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Issues:Ontarians with full and part-time jobs increasingly using food banks,

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox

But if you have diabetes the treatment in Canada is very expensive.

How so..the drugs are 10% of the cost in the U.S.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
There’s plenty of jobs right now and at 15 dollar minimum wage it’s not hard to get by these days

With that being said, “get by” is exactly what you will always do and what is disappearing is the ability to rise up the class ladder. Eventually you will have owners and renters and the idea of ownership for the new generations will only be from inheritance.

The middle class only came about with unions and as capitalism and unions crumble the middle class will erode to the haves and have nots.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

But if you have diabetes the treatment in Canada is very expensive.

How so..the drugs are 10% of the cost in the U.S.

Ya, didn't think so

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: MALBOSIA

If you look at the difference we pay in taxes, you could afford insurance and be treated like a paying customer. If not, you still have the county hospital that is on par with the free service you get here in Canada.

I think there is a misconception of the medical system in Canada. Its VERY expensive for tax payers and the treatment is sub par compared to the US health insurance system. The Canadian government had no incentive to offer the service and be cost effective.

But you'd still have to pay something...

theres no misconception... we know that our taxes are bonkers... but we're covered...

it may take a wait, but theres no debt, and no paying insurance each month just in case we have to visit a clinic...

For those that make minimum wage... at least they don't worry about medical problems for the most part...

I do not agree. We are paying a ridiculously high tax for healthcare we may not use, just the same as if you were paying for insurance you dont use. So that's a wash. For the same money you get better care in the US.

And in the US if your on minimum wage you end up in a county hospital, which offers a service similar to Canadas expensive system.

So the only factor is that in the US, those that can afford to can get better healthcare. And why not? Working hard to afford more safety and comfort is basis of our existence.

Well I work in health care... and im constantly exposed to sick people... I visit the local clinic several times a year...

From what I understand just visiting a clinic will cost you $500-1k just to see a Doctor in the states.... then the price of meds IF needed...

I never pay a cent... meds cost a bit but benefits take care of 95% of that... no bills... no debt.... no worries

Disagree if you will... but i'll stick with what we have over what they do any day.... sorry

Your employer covers your MSP then. That's usually 80-100/ month on top of your 23-29% income tax unless your employer offers to cover that share.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I live in Texas and I dont care to visit the US either. Thats the problem with some Canadians. They think because someone lives in the USA they can be lumped in with "all Americans" at least half of which are due nothing more than fear and loathing. A great many residents livng within the legal boundaries of the US are actually hostages to a foreign government yearning to be free. Much like the Quebecois of Canada.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
a reply to: Akragon

I couldn't imagine worrying about the costs of serious illness beyond the hours I would miss at work. It must be absolutely terrifying. While I'm typing this I think I'm beginning to understand why so many Americans seem so hostile and abrasive, it's because they are terrified for themselves and their families, and that stress is breaking them.

I feel so bad for our neighbors to the south.

That's overblown somewhat if you are having financial hardships there are programs that help cut costs you have to ask the hospital. Yes you have to jump through hoops and it wrecks your credit for a while but there are reductions available. Is it ideal no of course not, but like my father's (RIP) pancreatic treatments and other bills it's all worked into a reasonable monthly payment and that's on things insurance didn't cover. Trust me its a lot they would not cover, just approved new methods were a bitch to get OK'd by the insurance company, some were approved and covered, some were not, we are on the hook for those.

Sure it sucks but Id imagine so does getting taxed out the azz when you don't use it either.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Wait a minute in the UK where we have had a conservative government we have food banks also, maybe its showing wages have stagnated for the poor and lower class as opposed to it being a left Vs right political agenda (shock horror) but as its ATS it must be the leftys fault.

The rich get richer regardless of political leanings and the poor get left behind since the 1950s

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join