It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have Had Enough!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Everywhere I look any and all news sources, social media, discussion forums, etc. keep telling me how at odds everyone in my country is because of political differences and how it's only going to get worse and worse and the divide is getting wider and wider... and it's a lie!

When I helped my neighbor pick up his dropped bags neither of us asked about political beliefs.
When we were shopping last weekend neither my hubs or I asked the guy we let go ahead of us in the checkout line who he voted for.
The young man who held the door open for me at the Circle K did not question my thoughts on impeachment.
The lady I chatted with on the sidewalk never asked my stance on immigration.
The stylist who cut my hair didn't mention anything about gender issues.
A friend I hadn't seen for a while was more concerned with my health than whether or not I supported the 2nd Amendment.
The cashier at the store didn't shame my silver hoop earrings as cultural appropriation.
The young woman who delivered my packages did not question my religious beliefs.
Our waitress at the restaurant did not ask about our opinion of abortion before she decided to take our orders.

I could go on and on but it would be redundant.

You see these issues only exist in the press, online and with crazy people. In the real world the rest of us go about our daily lives and treat people with respect and kindness without ever questioning ANY of those things! If any of us sees a person in need of immediate assistance do we ask who they plan to vote for in the next election before we decide whether or not to help? No! But if you listen to the news and people online they would have you believing this is the norm! It is ridiculous!

There have been many times in the past few years when different strangers have done me a kindness and never once have I been questioned about my political beliefs before they did, as I have also done acts of kindness without thought of "which side" someone's political beliefs have fallen on.

Stop drinking the Koolaid because it's more poisoned than the refreshment table at a Jim Jones retreat!

End rant!

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Just turn off the damned television.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Everywhere I look any and all news sources, social media, discussion forums, etc. keep telling me how at odds everyone in my country is because of political differences and how it's only going to get worse and worse and the divide is getting wider and wider... and it's a lie!

When I helped my neighbor pick up his dropped bags neither of us asked about political beliefs.
When we were shopping last weekend neither my hubs or I asked the guy we let go ahead of us in the checkout line who he voted for.
The young man who held the door open for me at the Circle K did not question my thoughts on impeachment.
The lady I chatted with on the sidewalk never asked my stance on immigration.
The stylist who cut my hair didn't mention anything about gender issues.
A friend I hadn't seen for a while was more concerned with my health than whether or not I supported the 2nd Amendment.
The cashier at the store didn't shame my silver hoop earrings as cultural appropriation.
The young woman who delivered my packages did not question my religious beliefs.
Our waitress at the restaurant did not ask about our opinion of abortion before she decided to take our orders.

I could go on and on but it would be redundant.

You see these issues only exist in the press, online and with crazy people. In the real world the rest of us go about our daily lives and treat people with respect and kindness without ever questioning ANY of those things! If any of us sees a person in need of immediate assistance do we ask who they plan to vote for in the next election before we decide whether or not to help? No! But if you listen to the news and people online they would have you believing this is the norm! It is ridiculous!

There have been many times in the past few years when different strangers have done me a kindness and never once have I been questioned about my political beliefs before they did, as I have also done acts of kindness without thought of "which side" someone's political beliefs have fallen on.

Stop drinking the Koolaid because it's more poisoned than the refreshment table at a Jim Jones retreat!

End rant!

You don't need to believe any Op-Ed of any kind, you do need to analyse it, regardless of what you think.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

There is division and it's real, but it is not as you understand it.

15 years ago your neighbor, the shop person, your stylist would have been comfortable enough to discuss politics with
you. Not any more. Not asking IS part of the division.

Now if you wear a MAGA hat in the wrong place your life is on the line. If you say you like this politician or that you may or may not get served in a restaurant. That is the difference.

No but if you ordered a cake, or a wedding invitation, or needed birth control and certain people were against that, you'd be questioned, and possibly denied.
edit on 3-12-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

It is a lie
240 million voters in the usa.
Only half vote
60 million for dems 60 million for rupubs.
Each political party only represents a 4th of the public.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

15 years ago your neighbor, the shop person, your stylist would have been comfortable enough to discuss politics with

Now if you wear a MAGA hat in the wrong place your life is on the line. If you say you like this politician or that you may or may not get served in a restaurant. That is the difference.

No but if you ordered a cake, or a wedding invitation, or needed birth control and certain people were against that, you'd be questioned, and possibly denied.

Can you name a real world situation that happened personally to you?

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I freaking LOVE this OP! Its so true! Crazies and the gullible believe the majority of the country is obsessed by all this nonsense, when in reality, the majority of us are above what is nothing more than the political version of obsessing over the Kardashians.

More people are starting to believe we are two extremes of total whackos, but the 99.98% of us who aren't would beg to differ!

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Or they're like my PT - so sick of it, they've mostly tuned out and don't pay close attention and I don't blame them. It's not that they want to be low-info, it's that they can't stomach the division it causes. Being together is more important than being informed. So they stay away.

I'm sure there's an element in DC that counts on that even as they deride it.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Yes I was told to go back to China, the person assumed I was an illegal immigrant.

btw, I'm neither Chinese nor an immigrant, and since my family has been here since 1650's or so I'd say
we are pretty much as American as it gets.

link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

It is a lie
240 million voters in the usa.
Only half vote
60 million for dems 60 million for rupubs.
Each political party only represents a 4th of the public.

How do you know it's a lie?

Everyone I talk to thinks the Democrats are crazy wrong. And I see people everyday.

link   

I think the point was that such things are rare and extreme cases getting lots of publicity. I can't imagine anything like that happening around me, and if it did, nobody around would stand for it (regardless of political beliefs.)

They sure do a great job of playing up the extremes in the MSM.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I live in a small town, with probably a 95% republican base. Everyone here is very similar. There is not great discord here. However, if you took our population, and that of Seattle, it would be polar opposites on almost every topic.
If you were a very liberal person, you would have a very hard time in our community. If you are a very conservative person you'd have a hard time living in Seattle, etc. If you never get outside of your community you never really get to see the full picture. If I never left my community, I could easily believe that all is well in the world. Since I travel and have friends all over the globe I know it so. The closer people get to the cities and suburbs and where political lines are mixed is where you see this discord more.

www.aol.com...

Man claims he was assaulted in NYC for wearing Trump 'MAGA' hat
Jahangir Turan, 42, told NYPD officers he was walking along Canal Street on his way to dinner around 7 p.m. when he was assaulted by a large group of teenagers who were yelling "F*** Trump!" WCBS reports.

"One girl flipped my hat, and then within five, eight seconds, I got pushed from the back and my face hit the scaffolding pole," he recalled.
"It's dangerous to wear a hat like this in New York City," he told the station. "This is America, you know? Everybody has their right. To wear a hat like this, this can happen to you. That's sad."

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Yes I was told to go back to China, the person assumed I was an illegal immigrant.

btw, I'm neither Chinese nor an immigrant, and since my family has been here since 1650's or so I'd say

That doesn't make it politically motivated, that makes the person a racist- which puts them squarely in the "crazy" category.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

So, you think that is wide spread, or an isolated encounter?

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I've seen people wearing MAGA hats and Trump 2020 tee shirts all over town- and we live in the most liberal city (a sanctuary city) in our state. Nobody has gotten beat down because of what they're wearing. I'm sure it happens in some places occasionally because there are some deranged people out there, but the media (especially social media) makes it sound like it is a regular occurrence when it is likely rare.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

So, you think that is wide spread, or an isolated encounter?

I honestly believe it is becoming more widespread than it ever was.
I don't EVER remember a gang beating a man for wearing a Ronald Reagan hat, or Bush hat.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

There is an old saying about the things you don't talk about with family...religion and politics...

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
Just turn off the damned television.

and get off ATS.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This is just from a very quick search. There are hundreds of stories.
It is so bad someone even created an app to show safe places to wear MAGA hats.

I've seen people wearing MAGA hats and Trump 2020 tee shirts all over town- and we live in the most liberal city (a sanctuary city) in our state. Nobody has gotten beat down because of what they're wearing.

www.wptv.com...

VIDEO: Man at Indian River County bar wearing 'MAGA' hat told to 'go back to Russia,' later spit on

www.dailywire.com...

Liberals Rip Nationals’ Player For Wearing MAGA Hat At WH Event

www.denverpost.com...

New app sets out to help conservatives find “safe” places to wear MAGA hats
63red Safe is “an app to keep conservatives safe as they eat and shop.”

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I talk to lots of non voters and they don't care about any of this.
Those non voters aren't angry at anyone.

<<   2  3 >>

join