It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Attaching Camera to Telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I use an AKASO Brave camera for my You Tube videos. As a back up I also carry my FUJIFILM FINEPIX JX130, but I barely use it.

I'd like to know if it's possible to get any adaptor or T-ring that I can use to connect my FUJI to a telescope. I didn't buy a telescope yet, looking for the cheapest one but first need to know if the camera is good for that. I got no clue so far

Thanks folks !

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Math and duct tape.

This job requires both.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
Math and duct tape.
This job requires both.

I don't think it could work. The camera has lens that come out when you turn it on and retract when you turn it off.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to track stars, nebula or planets across the sky you need a 'equatorial mount' which compensates for the Earth's rotation on it's axis and orbit around the sun.

Beyond this, I am an amateur. Others will be along soon to assist you in much greater detail. I'm just a rookie.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I've had success using a cheap webcam and a cheap telescope.

Had to take the lens off of the webcam camera and housed it in an old black film canister that fit inside the telescope eyepiece

But it worked really well

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Fire off a u2u to MODS Spacedoubt or Eriktheawful. Both are into astrophotography.

Spacedoupt
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Eriktheawful
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Great thread above, but not what you ask.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Depends on the telescope, my MEAD telescope has a barrel-attachment for DSLR camera’s.
Also, please don’t look for the cheapest.
If cheap is what you buy, cheap is what you’ll get.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: kent04
I've had success using a cheap webcam and a cheap telescope.

Had to take the lens off of the webcam camera and housed it in an old black film canister that fit inside the telescope eyepiece

But it worked really well

Ditto, I did the same thing and it worked well

Here's a part of my description on how I did it, in response to a question on YouTube;

For me it was just a case of taking the housing apart, and yeah, just basically remove the lens carefully to expose the digital imaging chip underneath. What I did then was get a black 35mm film canister, and remove the bottom with a scalpel. I then superglued the flanged end onto the front of the webcam as centered as I could and hey presto!

The 35mm canister fits perfectly into the eyepiece holder on my scope and still easily allows me to use the manual focus. The beauty with this is that you can focus while looking at the image on your computer or laptop screen and not through the small eyepiece, which for me anyway makes life a little easier.

Here's a video I made with the modified webcam;

Here's the same video, but with a soundtrack (might not be everyone's cup of tea 🤷🏻‍♂️);

It's good wholesome fun

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Ha! Word for word, and picture for picture

Great minds think alike

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The problem is the FUJIFILM FINEPIX JX130 I have is lens. They come out from the camera when you turn it on, not a fixed position. So if I plug and adaptor, the camera needs to be on all the time. If you turn it off, the lens will retract and come off the adaptor or damage the lens mechanism.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   
To be honest, your cell phone might be capable of better images!

Or at least you don't need to worry about the lens being an issue.

You could give something like this a shot.

Telescope Phone Mount
edit on 12/5/2019 by cmdrkeenkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
To be honest, your cell phone might be capable of better images!

Or at least you don't need to worry about the lens being an issue.
You could give something like this a shot.
Telescope Phone Mount

I know but I really don't want to use my phone for that. I like to explore forest and distant places alone so I need my phone full charged and ready to use. It doesn't have better resolution than that camera anyway.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I used something like this (a similar unit but with three tightening post/screws

Lazmin 2" to 1.25" Telescope Adapter, Telescope Eyepiece Mount Adapter Black Metal Accessories Adaptor

CAVEAT.. I've not used the above... I used something similar (just can't find it right now for the brand name and model... sorry) .

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous
It might work. I have to measure total length of the camera lens when full extended. Thanks Johnny.

top topics

join