It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'll just say, I'm for capitol punishment.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Where I live all the major crimes where they have been prosecuted for murder, after spending a great deal of time in prison we find out that they didn't do it , and the government has to pay out heaps in compensation. If they had been offed by the state it would have saved a lot of money and none would be any the wiser. That's all very well until it is you who have done the time because the evidence points at you. If the Cops think they can get a reasonable conviction they will go for it and close the case whether you did the crime or not.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

So China is not a modern society? Japan? India? Saudi Arabia? Egypt?

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07 this is the second time i have agreed whith you i think im loosing my marbles

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Well, cops don't prosecute cases, district or state's attorneys do.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Daniel Lewis Lee, a white supremacist convicted in Arkansas for murdering a family of three, was scheduled to be the first of the inmates to be executed, at a federal prison in Indiana on Dec. 9.

You seriously CAN NOT make this snip up.

They blocked Trump from killing A WHITE SUPREMACIST!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

With a few fixes geared towards expediting the process and seriously shortening the appeals process, death sentences would be significantly cheaper than life imprisonments.

That would increase the rate of innocent people getting executed. I'd rather not.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

And I would argue that 3% of those 4% are only not guilty based on some kind of an obscure legal technicality. Not something blatant like wrong DNA.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

So at the end of the day, the only real reason anyone could possibly support the death penalty, is because of pure spite... and spite is not a form of justice in a civilized society.

Or you could call it justice for the victim whose life has been cut short

and their families.

Vengeance is not necessarily synonymous with justice, and usually isn't.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

In my world there would be no life sentences, and yeah, crime rates would absolutely drop. Either by potential consequences driven behavior changes or by simple attrition, the country would see a major drop in crime rates within a decade.

Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense... Firstly, because whether its a life sentence or the death penalty, their still unable to commit crimes, since their not within society to begin with.

Secondly, I seriously highly doubt anyone has ever thought to themselves, if it was just a life sentence then I'd totally carry out this brutal heinous crime, but since its the death penalty... nah, I better not.

lol.
edit on 2-12-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

So at the end of the day, the only real reason anyone could possibly support the death penalty, is because of pure spite... and spite is not a form of justice in a civilized society.

You forgot the main reason: prevention.

A child rapist who is put to death will never rape another child. Ever.

A child rapist who is imprisoned without ever having the opportunity whatsoever to be freed will also never rape another child.

Therefore, prevention.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
I did say "mostly..with a few exceptions.

Even at that, I would not like to be comparable to any of those places, Japan might be an exception.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

www.michigan.gov...

We imprison too many people in this country and then we routinely go through the retarded motions of releasing them after a time only to be shocked and dismayed when they (predictably) end up right back in prison, often for something more heinous than their first violent crime. Statistically speaking, executions across the board would cull 43% of crime in this country.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Blaine91555

While we are on the topic, I also think every prison cell in the USA should have a noose secured to the ceiling affording any inmate who wishes to do so the luxury of removing themselves from their sentence.

In theory I would agree with that statement; however, if one is so miserable behind bars that one wishes to take the easy way out and end his or her misery, perhaps one should not necessarily be easily afforded that opportunity.

link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

And I would argue that 3% of those 4% are only not guilty based on some kind of an obscure legal technicality. Not something blatant like wrong DNA.

There are no obscure legal technicalities, they have been found guilty, and will be killed by the state. My point is, if there were obscure technicalities..they would not be on death row.
edit on 2-12-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: neo96

Daniel Lewis Lee, a white supremacist convicted in Arkansas for murdering a family of three, was scheduled to be the first of the inmates to be executed, at a federal prison in Indiana on Dec. 9.

You seriously CAN NOT make this snip up.

They blocked Trump from killing A WHITE SUPREMACIST!

RE: twitter.com...

It's just an Appeals Court ruling. It will probably be taken higher up the judicial chain. Murderers and Traitors receiving lifetime of food, medical care, etc.. is not logical.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

There are an average of 20 executions carried out annually in the US.

The population of the US is 329,000,000 people.

There are an average of 33,000 motor vehicle fatalities per year in the US.

There are 1,650% more fatal motor vehicle accidents annually than total executions. If one of those 20 executions was in error, well, you do the math.

edit on 12/2/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: tanstaafl

You forgot the main reason: prevention.

A child rapist who is put to death will never rape another child. Ever.

A child rapist who is imprisoned without ever having the opportunity whatsoever to be freed will also never rape another child.

Therefore, prevention.

Hanging the same outside the courthouse 24 hours after the verdict costs very little and is the only 100% guarantee that individual will never victimize another human soul.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Cause it was 'inhuman'.

Not so long ago they were chanting kill them in the streets.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The courts have ruled inmates retain the right to an abortion. It is the "Right of self" that cannot be removed, even when incarcerated. Thus, yeah... inmates have the Constitutional and, we are told "fundamental human right" of self, including the right to remove themselves from this life.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Right... So we're doing so few executions, costing over a million per one, and assuming at least one in a hundred is an error...

What's the point in it if we're doing so few.
edit on 2-12-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join