It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'll just say, I'm for capitol punishment.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Now if I actually did not do the crime
a reply to: rickymouse

what if you did not do the crime, yet got sentenced to death. You dont think that happens?

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I disagree. If someone behaves like a barbarian and is removed from this life for it, that is justice and actually (if consistently applied and successful in avoiding being mucked up by bleeding hearts) does lead to less crime.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
I would go with the death penalty if the prosecutors would be charged with attempted murder if the accused is acquitted.

The same as accusing somebody of treason.. You call it, you better prove it, or you are guilty of a crime....That would shut most of you here up wouldnt it?

I think there needs to be some serious penalties for prosecutor and police misconduct. A big problem is that prosecutors care more about winning the case than actually proving guilt or innocence.

I support it in situations are that basically open and shut cases. You are on video doing the crime. DNA all over the place. There is no question whatsoever that you did it.

I'm less gungho in cases that are more technical in nature. Evidence is weak at best. Circumstantial. Not so reliable witnesses.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The death penalty makes no logical sense, the entire concept can only be rationalized by primitive petty human emotions.

It can't be about punishment... Because guess what? You can't punish a dead person.

It can't be about the burden to the tax payer of housing the prisoner either... Because nearly everyone who supports the death penalty also have no issue with imprisoning non-violent drug offenders.

So at the end of the day, the only real reason anyone could possibly support the death penalty, is because of pure spite... and spite is not a form of justice in a civilized society.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I used to be a huge supporter of the death penalty. And I would still be for the death penalty if there was absolutely no chance that an innocent person is put to death. But that is not the case in the current justice system and if even 1 person is wrongfully executed that is 1 death too many.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Metallicus

I disagree. If someone behaves like a barbarian and is removed from this life for it, that is justice and actually (if consistently applied and successful in avoiding being mucked up by bleeding hearts) does lead to less crime.

I am in favor of public punishment and like kind retribution. Lets say some one got drunk hit your families car and killed someone.
This person should be placed against a wall and be terminated by a car, same kind of punishment.

This would cut down on crimes when the public could see what the punishment would be.
These guys and gals get death and then set in prison for x amount of years under appeal, or die of old age, how fair is that to family who just had a person or persons die?
edit on 2-12-2019 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

OK, you go first.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

I fully support the 2nd amendment. I don’t, however, support a government that forces people do to do anything against their will. Anyone should be able to carry a weapon for self-defense, but no one should be forced to by Government.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Can't punish a dead person?
Who's trying?

The punishment is making a living person no longer a living person...

Now I gotta ask. How do you punish drug offenders if not prison?
I'm all for easing some drug laws but as it stands there are people breaking drug laws.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
So at the end of the day, the only real reason anyone could possibly support the death penalty, is because of pure spite... and spite is not a form of justice in a civilized society.

You forgot the main reason: prevention.

A child rapist who is put to death will never rape another child. Ever.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am against killing humans in general. I realize it is unpopular here, but the fact remains only barbarians should be killing other people. Not Planned Parenthood, not the Government, not society. The only scenario where killing is justified (in my opinion) is self-defense.

I've watched enough Investigation Discovery & Forensic files to know that there are some people that are downright evil. I don't know if we can even call some of them human. Sometimes putting those people to death is self-defense for humanity.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Justin Bieber?

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'm going to amend my prior response - I initially didn't want to get into it, but...

I used to be in favor of the death penalty. I no longer am.

I'm now in favor of bringing back the concept of 'outlawry'.

Once someone is declared an outlaw (has no Rights or Protections under the law), anyone can kill them with impunity.

That said - I would also be in favor of giving any kin/next of kin 15 minutes with the outlaw if they so desire.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Capital punishment doesn't deter crime.

But I will agree that some people don't deserve to be breathing.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Capital punishment sure deters that person from doing any more crime!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I support capital punishment.

To me it's just pure economics. Why should we taxpayers pay to keep these people alive for decades in prison, only to die there anyway? They will serve no meaningful purpose to society for the rest of their natural lives, so why not eliminate them from society all together?

It is also a double deterrent. One, it gives pause to some who may be contemplating the same thing, and it keeps the prisoner from being a repeat offender for another violent crime.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Unfortunately prosecutors have complete and total prosecutorial immunity when in the "pursuit of justice". You should check out Dreamer/Killer on Netflix and the second season of the podcast In the Dark.

Makes me angry too that a concept taught in criminal justice is that there is a difference between legal guilt and factual guilt despite many of us believing those two should be one in the same.

Crazy

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I'm not sure we can really say that capital punishment doesn't deter crime.
Or at least the way it's being used today.

25 people were executed in 2018.
There have been nearly 500 homicides in chicago along.
That's not much of a deterrent.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm opposed to the death penalty for one reason and only one reason. The possibility the person has been wrongly convicted and is innocent. Better to end capital punishment than to have even one innocent person put to death.

Life without possibility of parole in a harsh environment is a death sentence and too be honest, for some it would be worse than death.

I don't even approve of parole. A person found guilty should receive a fixed sentence and when it's over, it's over. They did the time. The entire parole system is a waste of time and money. It amounts to a second punishment after release.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Can't punish a dead person?
Who's trying?

The punishment is making a living person no longer a living person...

Oh, so you just want the personal satisfaction of knowing there dead then? Because obviously they won't be around to reflect on the reality of there own non existence.

Now I gotta ask. How do you punish drug offenders if not prison?
I'm all for easing some drug laws but as it stands there are people breaking drug laws.

That's a whole different subject, for a different thread... But the fact is, putting people in prison for drug offences is an extremely ineffective way to prevent drug use in society, yet most people are still more than happy for there tax dollars to go towards the incarnation of these drug offenders. Even though its been factually proven to be a waste of tax payers money.

So its obviously a totally invalid claim to say your for the death penalty because keeping them alive is a waste of tax dollars.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join