It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Apocalyptic Claims About Climate Change Are Wrong

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I think you misunderstood my post.

What I meant is, what's wrong is the notion mankind has caused climate change.

And just to be clear; manmade climate change is the greatest single hoax ever perpetuated on the human race!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

pollution in the atmosphere blocks a lot of harmful rays. And you wanna know something else that'll blow your mind? The atmosphere will clean itself up.

Can you please point out where you get your science for these remarks and how the atmosphere will clean itself??

The ozone blocks out UV rays, pollution heats up the atmosphere. It was a pollutant (cfc's) that was wiping out the ozone till they were banned.

Chlorofluorocarbons in the atmosphere are broken down by UV radiation,releasing chlorine atoms. These wayward atoms destroy ozone molecules, by pulling away an oxygen atom. Stratospheric ozone is destroyed by the chlorine contained in certain chemicals (other substances also "eat" ozone, but chlorine is the most important).

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

manmade climate change is the greatest single hoax ever perpetuated on the human race

I just can't see how someone who is an intelligent ATS member really believes this?

We have had an impact on the environment, and we are effecting the climate.
To what degree I think is what could be up for debate and how politicians of all groups what to go for the money grab to "fix" this, is what is the greatest hoax.
edit on 2-12-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: face23785
I could keep going on. It's a relatively long piece, like this OP, so I know many here will not bother to read it. You really should though, especially if you're on the climate change team. You guys really need to stop shooting yourselves in the foot, that's all this guy is saying. Progressives would do well to take that advice on a variety of issues.

Contrary to your right wing delusions burning fossil fuel does cause pollution.

if you wish to not look super ignorant, then please point out where the OP made that claim.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Here's just one example of the hypocrisy of Climate Change...

In the mid-1800's there were 60-100 million buffalo roaming the great plains. By 1900 they were all gone. Today there are about 95 million cattle in the US. BUT...now they want to tax cattle for methane production as it allegedly contributes to Climate Change. You know, buffalo produce methane too, just like cattle, possibly more because they're bigger animals!

If the quality of the environment is incrementally degrading, why are people living longer? It would seem we would see a commensurate incremental decline in lifespan. Not happening...why? People say, because of improvements in health care, and this is true, but those improvements should be offset by the declining environmental quality due to Climate Change.

Man made Global warming / Climate Change is a ruse. Can we ignore the environment and the lifeforms in it? Of course not, but mankind did not bring about Global Warming. There were times on Earth, long before mankind, when the Earth was hotter than it is today...by a lot! There were also times on Earth, long before mankind, when the Earth was much cooler than it is today.

Man made Global Warming is a ruse.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

When people like Al Gore and all his elite ilk give up their private jets with their giant carbon footprints, I'll start taking it seriously, but none of them have, which is just further proof it's a hoax and a big money-grab.

And don't even get me started on what's her name, the child actor!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Let me put my initial statement into different words, and say it a different way...

The notion that mankind can have any measurable affect on Global Warming is foolish and misguided.

Again, does this mean we can just ignore the environment, of course not. However, we can't embark on all-or-nothing programs to save the human race...or perish. That's an alarmist mentality, and it's not practical nor feasible.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

manmade climate change is the greatest single hoax ever perpetuated on the human race

I just can't see how someone who is an intelligent ATS member really believes this?

We have had an impact on the environment, and we are effecting the climate.
To what degree I think is what could be up for debate and how politicians of all groups what to go for the money grab to "fix" this, is what is the greatest hoax.

This is an overly simplistic way of looking at it. A candle has an impact on the amount of heat in an aircraft hangar. That doesn't mean it's the major driving factor. Of course humans have an impact on the climate. The question is whether we are the driving force behind the climate, which we're not. The degree to which humans influence the climate has not been ascertained. There is no "97% consensus" on that. President Obama lied. Those 97% studies are that the climate is changing. Big shocker, climate scientists don't think the climate is static. Scientists do not agree that man's influence is the driving force behind climate change. That simply has not been determined and anyone that says otherwise is misinformed or lying.
edit on 2 12 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: face23785

So zero response to any of the arguments presented in the article. Got it.

There is no argument, the author relies upon an old estimate that's been corrected already.
You've got that as well?

What exactly does that prove? Does the new estimate of 2.5 meters change anything he said about us having successfully maintained a country with areas that are 7 meters below sea level for centuries?

Again, you should actually try to address what's written. You might as well come in and tell us that water is wet, that's about as valuable a contribution as what you said was.
edit on 2 12 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The article in your OP is an opinion piece, NOT a scientific paper!

But go ahead and believe an opinion piece if it strokes your confirmation bias while ignoring the actual science and observation.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You are not here to have an intelligent discussion when you come here and mention Al Gore. You are just here to muddy the waters and parrot the alt right talking points on climate change.

To think we cannot affect this planet's climate and environment is absurd. Take a drive or a tour on Google Earth to see how much we have changed this planet.
edit on 2-12-2019 by jrod because: G

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Like I mentioned earlier with CFCs, it was unknown at the time what damage we'd cause using them, and we know a lot more now than we did back then, just like smoking.
Coal is detrimental to the environment, people are living longer and there's a lot more of us the world over. This all must have a negative effect in the long run.

In the mid-1800's there were 60-100 million buffalo roaming the great plains. By 1900 they were all gone. Today there are about 95 million cattle in the US.

You forgot to add the people and industry into that equation, plus multiply that the world over and then add deforestation. What that all means in the long run I honestly don't know but it must have an impact.

If the quality of the environment is incrementally degrading, why are people living longer? It would seem we would see a commensurate incremental decline in lifespan.

Because the quality of healthcare has increased, but will it level off at some point and then only be available for the rich whilst the rest of us start dying younger. In a few generations will that be the norm?

There were times on Earth, long before mankind, when the Earth was hotter than it is today...by a lot!

The key word here is mankind.
When the environment had a denser concentration of oxygen, we had giant insects and as the environment changed over millions of years along came the reptiles then the dinosaurs and finally us. The earths environment changes with or without us but are we quickening that change and by doing so will we wipe ourselves out, and just like all the previous species will we be a notch on earths bedpost so to speak. Gone before our time.
edit on 2-12-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The 5 main reasons people still deny climate change

The fossil fuel industry, political lobbyists, media moguls and individuals have spent the past 30 years sowing doubt about the reality of climate change - where none exists.

The latest estimate is that the world's five largest publicly-owned oil and gas companies spend about US$200 million a year on lobbying to control, delay or block binding climate policy.

This is a good read. In everyone one of these threads, the same debunked arguments are made on here to cast doubt on the reality of man made climate change.

Think for yourself. Always be suspicious of people using terms like greenies, alarmist, reference Al Gore, ect. Those folks are not here to have a rational discussion.
edit on 2-12-2019 by jrod because: Add snip

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The fossil fuel industry, political lobbyists, media moguls and individuals have spent the past 30 years sowing doubt about the reality of climate change - where none exists.

That is a bull snip read.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Think for yourself. Always be suspicious of people using terms like greenies, alarmist, reference Al Gore, ect. Those folks are not here to have a rational discussion.

But the problem is that it's extremely difficult to have a rational discussion about climate change. The term "Climate Denier" is, in today's world, right up there with "Holocaust Denier", and is used to immediately shut down any debate.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

The article in your OP is an opinion piece, NOT a scientific paper!

But go ahead and believe an opinion piece if it strokes your confirmation bias while ignoring the actual science and observation.

Facts are not exclusive to scientific papers. This is a typical argument of someone who has a very rudimentary appreciation and understanding of science.

He presents a lot of facts which you obviously can't dispute, or else you wouldn't be resorting to this meaningless nonsense.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Another complete misrepresentation of what's being argued and another complete failure to address what's in the OP.

Why are all of you so afraid of addressing what was actually said? You're proving his point and continuing to damage the credibility of your own movement.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Well, unfortunately you are halfway correct. And, you can thank so many of the liberal left politicians and "scientists" who were absolutely bent on proving they had found a solution in search of a problem. Those same people who over and over again have skewed the results, intentionally left out data and outright lied about their findings. This is a completely agenda driven topic, so there really isn't any 'intelligent' discussion to be had on it.

Newton once said for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so it's only common sense that every being, every object, every force has a influence on the environment it exists in. Humans are no different. To suggest otherwise would be silly. Every breath we take has a microscopic impact on the environment around us. However, to suggest that humans alone are capable of reversing the course of natural phenomenon of our climate is equally as silly.

Humans inhabit about 1.4% of the surface Earth's surface. 95% of all humans occupy about 10% of the Earth's land masses. Climate change doesn't happen only in occupied areas, it happens everywhere. So, depending on how you slice it, there's a whole lot of other living things affecting the climate on that other 90%+ of the Earth's surface which is not inhabited by humans. Those are some staggering numbers to refute.

So, before we starting screaming about the sky falling (literally and metaphorically), maybe it would be best to let some of the folks who refuse to be environmentally conscious wallow in their own pollution for a while before we try to transfer the wealth of developed nations to their governments under the guise of helping those nations who refuse to comply (which, incidentally, is a lot larger than the people, like us, who are actually doing something about it).

edit on 12/2/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
And on a side note; I am constantly amazed at how self important some people are about Climate Change. It's like this perfect "Utopia" existed on planet Earth before man...and then mankind came along and screwed it all up. I've got news for those people; life on Earth has been a pretty difficult endeavor throughout the history of this planet. Humans are not the end-all, be-all, regarding life on Earth. Not even close!

Do people actually think the dinosaur's were just hanging out in this tropical paradise? And what about the Ice Age. If the great Ice Age isn't Climate Change then I don't know what is! Forget the cause for a moment, the facts are the great Ice Age exterminated the dinosaur. Humans weren't even around then, not even close. How could anyone ever possibly argue this?? It's just incomprehensible to me! Entire species died out, millions of them, from Climate Change. We have museums, books and films coming out of our ears with proof in the form of fossils of these events...yet someone is going to suggest humans are all of a sudden solely responsible for Climate Change on Earth???

Mankind has existed on Earth for arguably 2 million years. The dinosaurs existed on earth for roughly 170 million years. The majority of what we call "dinosaurs" today ceased to exist 58 million years before man showed up...so it wasn't me, bruh!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Humans inhabit about 1.4% of the surface Earth's surface. 95% of all humans occupy about 10% of the Earth's land masses. Climate change doesn't happen only in occupied areas, it happens everywhere. So, depending on how you slice it, there's a whole lot of other living things affecting the climate on that other 90%+ of the Earth's surface which is not inhabited by humans. Those are some staggering numbers to refute.

I do have one question I'd like to ask climate alarmists: What level of atmospheric CO2 would be acceptable to them? We are currently at around 0.04% of the atmosphere. The problem is that at around 0.015% all plant life dies and, consequently, us too. So it seems to me that more is better than less.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join