It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Apocalyptic Claims About Climate Change Are Wrong

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Another thing to consider when weighing the effect of changed climate, specifically the "increases" in severe weather and so on, is the ever increasing population footprint. Is storm damage on the rise because the storms are getting more powerful, or are there more people living in these areas than previously.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Nearly all apocalyptic claims about climate change - and, indeed, anything else - originate with the media. Apocalypse sells.

If there's a very small chance something could happen, the media will blazon a headline stating it will happen. But when it doesn't come to pass, who gets the blame for getting it wrong? Hence why some are sceptical of anything scientists say ....

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
Another thing to consider when weighing the effect of changed climate, specifically the "increases" in severe weather and so on, is the ever increasing population footprint. Is storm damage on the rise because the storms are getting more powerful, or are there more people living in these areas than previously.

Both.

More and more people living in places more likely to be affected by extremes of weather.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: face23785
I could keep going on. It's a relatively long piece, like this OP, so I know many here will not bother to read it. You really should though, especially if you're on the climate change team. You guys really need to stop shooting yourselves in the foot, that's all this guy is saying. Progressives would do well to take that advice on a variety of issues.

Contrary to your right wing delusions burning fossil fuel does cause pollution.

Yes, it does cause pollution, in concentrated areas, like cities. However, the US at least has more trees than ever which clean the air. psmag.com...

The currently very low emissions standards are good for people in cities who are forced to breathe other people's farts and car emissions. However, car emissions at their current level does not cause global warming or global cooling anymore than cow or people farts do.

Should we regulate people farts? Force people to wear carbon filter underwear to save the planet? A person farts about 1 liter per day of "global warming causing" gas. So people emit around 77 Billion liters of gas PER DAY.

Clean air in cities is good. A noble cause worth attaining.

But, but, having more green areas will help more than cutting emissions much more than they have been cut.

A Chemistry Prof I worked with told me this story: Do you know why the trees and plants are so lush along freeways? It's because the love the emissions and the emission help them to grow faster and stronger. Plants and trees love the emissions, and create more oxygen as a result. That doesn't mean we should not keep emissions at their current low levels.

It means a better plan at this point is forcing everyone to plant trees, bushes, grass in every available space in cities. Roof tops, dredge up unnecessary concrete and plant more trees. That is the truly Green and sustainable solution.

Too bad greenies aren't pushing the REAL solution and demanding more trees, more grass, more bushes in cities and suburbs. Why aren't activists trying to pass laws that demand more green space, that people plant more trees and bushes? Why aren't setbacks in front of stores required to plant trees and bush along the side of the street. Guess cause they can't tax it or use it to exercise more control over individuals lives.

edit on 12/2/19 by The2Billies because: format addition

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Yep. We broke 2 cold records for November when we hit 24 and 21 earlier in the month.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Both.

More and more people living in places more likely to be affected by extremes of weather.

I would argue only the latter, along with El Nino. We've had freak extremes since record keeping began. After living through the tornado outbreak of 2011 (April 27th), people in my area feared what the next tornado season would bring. It was pretty mild, by comparison. Same with Hurricanes.

We're entering into another El Nino cycle, and I expect we will see an uptick in severe weather, and seemingly more powerful storms, just because of the level of residential development since the last cycle. You hardly hear about the F5's when they're just tearing through fields.
edit on 2-12-2019 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
You have to wonder why climate alarmists feel the need to make crap up like the "starving polar bear" and the "cliff-diving walruses".....if the crisis is so dire, surely just the facts would be enough.

This is probably the best take you're likely to find in this thread. It's sad, although no surprise, that our resident leftists have come in in complete denial and not even addressing the OP.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: LSU2018

You obviously forgot the "/s" in your statement. I (silently) lol'ed.

How should pollution protect anything? Would dirt protect your car from becoming hotter in the sun?

I didn't forget anything because I'm not being sarcastic.

Pollution in the atmosphere blocks a lot of harmful rays. And you wanna know something else that'll blow your mind? The atmosphere will clean itself up.

But to answer your question, if you cover your car windows, it blocks a lot of heat. It's really too bad that common sense can't be taught in school. Especially something as easy as what you asked me. A little research and you could answer your own question.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The report by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) set the "extreme" scenario of global average sea level rise by 2100 to 8.2 feet (2.5 meters), up half a meter from the last estimate issued in 2012.

US scientists raise bar for sea level by 2100

Well. According to the data I see we're not apocalyptic enough. You go ahead and whine about saving nature for no good reason then.

Cookie?
edit on 2-12-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: LSU2018

You obviously forgot the "/s" in your statement. I (silently) lol'ed.

How should pollution protect anything? Would dirt protect your car from becoming hotter in the sun?

I didn't forget anything because I'm not being sarcastic.

Pollution in the atmosphere blocks a lot of harmful rays. And you wanna know something else that'll blow your mind? The atmosphere will clean itself up.

But to answer your question, if you cover your car windows, it blocks a lot of heat. It's really too bad that common sense can't be taught in school. Especially something as easy as what you asked me. A little research and you could answer your own question.

That hole in the ozone layer has been shrinking. Repairing itself.

I wonder why that good news hasn't been wide spread.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

But... They’ll never cover

COLD WEATHER RECORDS - people shouldn’t be fooled by this it’s just a rare incident, they should be concerned by the forest fires started by arsonists or poor forest management LOL

ICE STORMS - a rare ice storm occurred today but this doesn’t mean climate change isn’t real and climate isn’t weather so long as it’s the right weather

Even this is being used now to advance the agenda. That's why they changed the branding from "global warming" to "climate change." Now, even when it's cold, that's "proof" of global warming. So if it's hot, they're right. If it's cold, they're right. Pretty much the only way they're wrong is if the climate stays exactly the same.

You can't make this stuff up.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

The report by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) set the "extreme" scenario of global average sea level rise by 2100 to 8.2 feet (2.5 meters), up half a meter from the last estimate issued in 2012.

US scientists raise bar for sea level by 2100

Well. According to the data I see we're not apocalyptic enough. You go ahead and whine about saving nature for no good reason then.

Cookie?

So zero response to any of the arguments presented in the article. Got it.

Predictable. And you guys actually think you're smart.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

People tune you out when you constantly make dire predictions that turn out to be wrong.

Personally, I think more people tune them out because they don't see activists practicing what they preach. They're the biggest hypocrites. If they aren't taking action to change their lifestyles, why should anyone else be inconvenienced?!

Quoted for truth.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

People tune you out when you constantly make dire predictions that turn out to be wrong.

Personally, I think more people tune them out because they don't see activists practicing what they preach. They're the biggest hypocrites. If they aren't taking action to change their lifestyles, why should anyone else be inconvenienced?!

Very true. They can do all they want, and anything they want, as long as they don't try to force me to believe it. I don't believe in manmade climate change so I'm not going to do anything about my lifestyle. They believe in manmade climate change so they can do whatever they want to, to change it. I don't send goons out to black people from spending money at the movies which supports Hollywood. I choose to stay away so I stay away while minding my own business.

The problems start when the alarmists try to force us to accept their solution. They should ride bikes to work and keep their electricity off. I mean, my solo choice to stay away from movies doesn't make an effect, but it makes ME feel better. Nobody likes a busybody and that's all those people are.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
Nearly all apocalyptic claims about climate change - and, indeed, anything else - originate with the media. Apocalypse sells.

If there's a very small chance something could happen, the media will blazon a headline stating it will happen. But when it doesn't come to pass, who gets the blame for getting it wrong? Hence why some are sceptical of anything scientists say ....

And Hollywood will make a movie about it. I heard that Christopher Lloyd wanted to do a Back to the Future IV where they go into the future and global warming has destroyed everything. It's an absolute shame.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Right? Scientists aren't worth a piss anymore and it's no surprise that the leftists put all of their faith in scientist's claims. They probably think reality shows aren't scripted either.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Right? Scientists aren't worth a piss anymore and it's no surprise that the leftists put all of their faith in scientist's claims. They probably think reality shows aren't scripted either.

Never believe anythin that comes out of their mouths.

The climate.

Gender is determined by feelings.

From the same Science hijackers.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The sad thing is I love science. I have great respect for science. But science has to be done by people, who all have their own biases and agendas. Unfortunately science is increasingly about money than anything else these days. Whatever you have to do to get that next research grant. That's not to say no good science is done anymore, but especially on controversial issues there's a lot of nonsense.

And people who put scientists on a pedestal really need to read some history. Remember scientists once told us that lead was harmless and that cigarettes were safe.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

And people who put scientists on a pedestal really need to read some history.

Scientists said native Americans were inferior.

Scientists said blacks were inferior.

Scientists said the Earth was the center of the universe.

Scientists do get snip wrong.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

So zero response to any of the arguments presented in the article. Got it.

There is no argument, the author relies upon an old estimate that's been corrected already.
You've got that as well?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join