It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Apocalyptic Claims About Climate Change Are Wrong

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Forbes

This is the author. He's been an environmental activist for years. He writes for New York Times and WaPo, among other places. He's been given awards by TIME Magazine for being a "Hero of the Environment." He's not some coal or oil "researcher." Some green fiends may not like him because he advocates for nuclear power, but to call him a climate change denier or any of that nonsense would just be lying.

This is a really interesting piece. It doesn't deny that the climate is changing, or that human activity is contributing to the change. It simply illustrates how these climate alarmists are damaging their cause more than they help it. People tune you out when you constantly make dire predictions that turn out to be wrong. We see this all the time. (Trigger warning, that links to Fox News, but they are not the origin for the material within.)

Anywho, the author's disclaimer against the inevitable false accusations:

Journalists and activists alike have an obligation to describe environmental problems honestly and accurately, even if they fear doing so will reduce their news value or salience with the public. There is good evidence that the catastrophist framing of climate change is self-defeating because it alienates and polarizes many people. And exaggerating climate change risks distracting us from other important issues including ones we might have more near-term control over.

I feel the need to say this up-front because I want the issues I’m about to raise to be taken seriously and not dismissed by those who label as “climate deniers” or “climate delayers” anyone who pushes back against exaggeration.

So he knows how dishonest people within his own movement are. That's some great awareness on his part. That doesn't mean everything climate scientists say are wrong. But the constant lying and exaggeration discredit the movement and make it harder to gain the support of enough people to do anything. I don't see why this is so hard to understand. The gun control movement faces the same problem. They absolutely refuse to get informed on the issue, spread false information and flat-out lie, and then wonder why they can't get support for their "common sense" proposals. Most people are for reasonable restrictions on guns, but you know it must be the NRA paying everyone off, right? No, it's the constant disinformation that gets debunked in real time these days because of social media. The same thing happens to climate alarmists.

The author provides two recent examples, with links, of recent disinformation spread by the climate alarmists. These have already been discussed here I think:

I also care about getting the facts and science right and have in recent months corrected inaccurate and apocalyptic news media coverage of fires in the Amazon and fires in California, both of which have been improperly presented as resulting primarily from climate change.

I would add the "increase" in hurricanes to that list, which has been debunked. Even the IPCC acknowledges there is no trend in hurricane frequency or intensity, but this lie continues to be spread by the media.

It’s not like climate doesn’t matter. It’s that climate change is outweighed by other factors. Earlier this year, researchers found that climate “has affected organized armed conflict within countries. However, other drivers, such as low socioeconomic development and low capabilities of the state, are judged to be substantially more influential.”

This is probably going to set off huge alarm bells. To the crowd that thinks climate change is causing everything, this is blasphemy.

This is one of my favorite parts:

What about sea level rise? IPCC estimates sea level could rise two feet (0.6 meters) by 2100. Does that sound apocalyptic or even “unmanageable”? Consider that one-third of the Netherlands is below sea level, and some areas are seven meters below sea level. You might object that Netherlands is rich while Bangladesh is poor. But the Netherlands adapted to living below sea level 400 years ago. Technology has improved a bit since then.

Ouch.

I could keep going on. It's a relatively long piece, like this OP, so I know many here will not bother to read it. You really should though, especially if you're on the climate change team. You guys really need to stop shooting yourselves in the foot, that's all this guy is saying. Progressives would do well to take that advice on a variety of issues.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

What apocalyptic claims about climate change are wrong??

1. That mankind caused it.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

What apocalyptic claims about climate change are wrong??

1. That mankind caused it.

Let me see:

Back when I was young, they were predicting an Ice Age due to man made climate change. The Ice Age was coming withing 20 years, that was about 45 years ago. Where was the Ice Age? Um, it never came.

So after that one failed, Al Gore well over 20 years ago said Global Warming would destroy the planet and life as we know it within 20 years and the world would have major cities flooded. Um, it never happened.

Just recently AOC said the world would collapse due to Global Warming within 15 years. I don't believe it.

Now some politicians are saying we have less than 2 years before the world is destroyed from Climate Change. That means either too hot or too cold? Yeah, ok, I'm not buying it.

I have a NASA meteorologist friend who I discussed this all with.
He said there are natural cycles of hot and cold.
The ice age was not caused by Freon or Hairspray as the Ice Age alarmists told us. There was no one using anything that caused the ice age, people were living in caves like animals.
He said during the age of the dinosaurs the world was a tropical jungle, most of the entire world. I don't think the dinosaurs were emitting too much carbon, well maybe their farts

There is also evidence of a world wide flood with fossils on every single land mass of marine life. So at sometime in the far distant past, when mankind was very very primitive, there was massive flooding of where many of our cities now stand.
None of this radical and life ending and life changing climate change in the past was due to anything mankind did or did not do.

Yes the climate is constantly changing and in a state of flux. It always has been and always will be. If you read and study REAL science, not pseudo-science, but take a real look at the climate through geology and geological ages, you will see this quite clearly.

Alarmists just want us all to believe it is our fault so they can exercise more and more control over the population with oppressive regulations. If you want to fall for it, go ahead.

Alarmists are WRONG - I have lived the alarm clock long enough to know, it is a way of getting $$$ out of us by creating excuses to tax us, it is also a way to intrude on people's lives to better control the masses.

edit on 12/2/19 by The2Billies because: format addition

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
When it literally starts raining cats and dogs.

When the Sahara turns in to a rain forest.

I'll believe in CLimate change.

Until then.

The climate has always been in perpetual motion influenced by geomagnetics, and solar activity.

If your plan to save me is to tax my ass more than you already are. Take even more power than you already have.

Destroy trillion dollar industries in my country when you don't control every country in the world and say it's going to save me ?

Your full of snip.

The end.
edit on 2-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It is al gores fault. Internet and lockbox and all.
He got rich off of it tho....

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The earth can cleanse itself of CO2 Scripture says the Earth is wearing out like a garment......idk

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I could keep going on. It's a relatively long piece, like this OP, so I know many here will not bother to read it. You really should though, especially if you're on the climate change team. You guys really need to stop shooting yourselves in the foot, that's all this guy is saying. Progressives would do well to take that advice on a variety of issues.

Contrary to your right wing delusions burning fossil fuel does cause pollution.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Man creates it's own problems when the climate changes. We refuse to move, we refuse to help one another, we refuse to change with our environment, we refuse stop immediate pollution where we live, there is all sorts of issue that we create when the earth changes.

If anyone knows the story of the sea peoples theres great evidence that it was basically just refugees from a climate disaster, or essentially the climate changing and people didnt adapt so they just went on an angry mob rampage on places that did adapt or moved elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
You have to wonder why climate alarmists feel the need to make crap up like the "starving polar bear" and the "cliff-diving walruses".....if the crisis is so dire, surely just the facts would be enough.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Because FEAR sells.

Like Rich people are out to git you.

Like Guns are out to git you.

Like the CLimate is out to git you.

Government please save me.

No one critically thinks anymore.

Which is really odd for scientists.

They're always suppose to be skeptics.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
One thing that stands out right now is the msn have decided to highlight two weather types and one disasters type while ignoring every other weather phenomenon or disaster the FREE-PRESS (RIP God rest her soul) used to report SEASONALLY REGULARLY so all we’ve had for the past two three years since the media/MSM passed away

HOT WEATHER - because the world is burning you bastards FEAR FEAR
HURRICANES- because they’re now worst BECAUSE of YOU direct polluters
WILDFIRES because every summer you’re going to burn if you don’t pay carbon taxes

Then they’ve bought in a child to tell everybody our world is burning and weathers getting worst and the only way we know how to fix it at all is to TAX YOU TO HELL, like China doesn’t even exist or anything it’s you lot

But... They’ll never cover

COLD WEATHER RECORDS - people shouldn’t be fooled by this it’s just a rare incident, they should be concerned by the forest fires started by arsonists or poor forest management LOL

ICE STORMS - a rare ice storm occurred today but this doesn’t mean climate change isn’t real and climate isn’t weather so long as it’s the right weather

GLACIER GROWTH - they’re not really growing, here’s a video of one that momentarily melted and we’ve Arranged to have activist turn up and filmed a funeral for the poor dead glacier which we won’t report grew back bigger next season

But they will cover avalanches and it’s always because MELT BURN FEAR NARRATIVE

No no cold weather records just doesn’t exist anymore according to the MSM, if people can’t see the how the media are having to literally push narratives and use well established and know brainwashing methods on the dumb public along with crisis actors and the whole Shebang, it really is obvious and pathetic and just sad to see how people gobble it up then break out onto the streets crying and flying themselves to fking public spaces or transport

Yes the earth has clear cycles and patterns in its climate but they just want to pretend it doesn’t happen or that science and data is the devil, and there are plenty of acient cities underwater post end of the last ice age, or the fact the Sahara just 5,000 - 6,000 years ago was a lush tropical forest or the 800,000 years of ice core or sedimentary data which shows it’s all perfectly normal warming and climate

I give up

edit on 2-12-2019 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Pollution is helping keep the earth cool from the increased solar activity. You should be thankful that most of us aren't idiots and don't care to "go green."

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Oh yeah.

REAL scientific breakthroughs have always come from those that think outside of the box.

Mainstream science is just like Mainstream news.

Just poor imitations of the real thing.
edit on 2-12-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I agree that some of the claims are definitely overblown.

Sea level rise, that's one that I'm seeing first hand. And many home owners on the water are seeing as well. With one person I know saying that he's gonna be selling his home before it's too late. It may be another 100 years or more before we see certain places under water. But it's coming.

I wish that the focus would be more on pollution control and not so much climate change. Because even small levels of pollution can be shown to be dangerous. And people would respond to that better than climate change.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Sea level rise, that's one that I'm seeing first hand. And many home owners on the water are seeing as well. With one person I know saying that he's gonna be selling his home before it's too late. It may be another 100 years or more before we see certain places under water. But it's coming.

That's nothing new.

Most ancient civilizations were built near water sources, and now sit under feet of water.

Only they didn't have fossil fuels to blame at the time.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I would add the "increase" in hurricanes to that list, which has been debunked. Even the IPCC acknowledges there is no trend in hurricane frequency or intensity, but this lie continues to be spread by the media.

Really? Because there are studies about t his!.
And they do not say that this was the last straw, or an epic hundred-year-high on hurricanes... Far from it.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: face23785

Contrary to your right wing delusions burning fossil fuel does cause pollution.

You really should try reading the OP and the article. There are precisely zero arguments presented about whether climate change is manmade or not. In fact I specifically state that the piece doesn't deny that humans are influencing the climate. In the 2nd paragraph. You couldn't even read that far?

You try so hard to look intelligent, but you make a complete fool out of yourself when you don't read and respond to what's actually written. Your post quality really has gone downhill.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

You obviously forgot the "/s" in your statement. I (silently) lol'ed.

How should pollution protect anything? Would dirt protect your car from becoming hotter in the sun?

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

Really? Because there are studies about t his!.
And they do not say that this was the last straw, or an epic hundred-year-high on hurricanes... Far from it.

And there's a reason that "study" shows an increase, because they cherry-picked the 70s as their starting point. Over longer timescales, there is no change. Again, the IPCC has acknowledged this. Do you even know what the IPCC is?

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

People tune you out when you constantly make dire predictions that turn out to be wrong.

Personally, I think more people tune them out because they don't see activists practicing what they preach. They're the biggest hypocrites. If they aren't taking action to change their lifestyles, why should anyone else be inconvenienced?!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join