It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology is moving to fast for me these days

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

i finally get the singularity and no crayons died in the process

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
As far as electronics go, everything has gone small and modular. That logic board used in your phablet is quite powerful and can be used in different applications but that takes R&D.

It shook me up just how small that board was in that phablet and compared to what we had just a few years ago we have made a hugh advance in a very small time frame .

In late 2015 1 Gb of ram was normal and 32 gb of storage in a android tablet fast forward 4 years and it has gone to 8 gb of ram for every day users , My first computer had 250 mb and was a IBM think pad and it worked fine back then but things are changing so quick it is hard for older people to keep up with all the latest tech on the market .

I was using my mothers laptop last week it had not been touched in months and needed updated , I started in the morning and windows 10 took 8+ hours to update and even was a I5 cpu i found it as slow as hell to use and boot up the touchpad was murder to use and even with 8gb of ram it felt like a piece of rubbish and made me mad as hell .

I am on a old 2006 media centre pc with 4 gb of ram and a SSD with windows 7 and it blows them out of the water i have
a quad core with 16gb of ram but i prefer this old duel core as i do not game just surf the web youtube ,ebay etc and it is sufficient for me .

But what do they have in the pipeline when tech can get that cheap that quick for the average user

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
a reply to: stonerwilliam

It quickly got unplugged when her back was turned , no way will i be around that kind of technology

LOL. I understand. Another thing I don't care for is Microsoft having so many of its products "reporting back" without us being aware of it. Some antitrust action on the big IT companies might make the tech a bit friendlier again.

Cheers

I am not a fan of windows 10 i hate it with a vengeance and find it hard to navigate especially with Dementia starting and what all the tech people in the know are saying about it and the level of spying and phoning home it does and the way it can delete things from your hard drive

But i love my windows 8.1 phone and the O/S is ok and feels like win 7 in a way so i will be sad to see them kill them in January .

I have been playing about with Linux distros and i am going to give them a go to see what is the best for us old timers

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Interesting OP. Alludes to the problem of our time - that of sustainability and reparability. Out throw-away society.

All the eco warriors with their trendy Apple iPhones are part of the problem, and it’s a pity they have no insight. We have consumer items which are cheap, too difficult to repair and designed to be obsolete within two years. They are good for nothing except land fill, yet the Earth is being drained to create them.

Rewind a few decades and create things to last. It would be a brave politician to suggest that we should punitively tax things which have a short life, or cannot be economically fixed. He/she would get my vote.
edit on 2/12/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

My sis has a ipad pro top of the range 500 GB of memory but broke the screen and to repair it it is £ 450 which to me is crazy and always goes for Apple products , As you say her iphone x is now out of date but is less than 2 years old and cost £ 1200 NEW my windows phone cost me 28 quid second hand and is bullet proof , i have chucked it off a wall stood on it and not a scratch on it , But the planned obsolescence is really getting out of hand with the junk people are collecting these days .

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It's not just technology.

I have two hand axes for chopping kindling.

The one I inherited from my father, which must be four or five decades’ old has hard metal and keeps its edge. The one I bought five years ago is now used as a garden hammer, so poor was the metal quality. Yet the one I bought was pricey and promised years of use. The one my father bought was “just average”.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

That's if it does not go all breasts up.

Humans are becoming far too specialized, we may simply decide to stagnate and degenerate into apathy.

But that's a bit of a bleak outlook when one considers the wonders of the universe and/or avenues not even yet pondered that any technological singularity that does occur may bring about.

It's in the post, or seems to be current technological trends withstanding.
edit on 2-12-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I just received a box of tools from 1960 today and they are all in the original boxes and were well looked after because things cost a fortune back then to buy , a weeks wage to buy a hammer or a electric item and people looked after what they had back then .

Now it is easier to chuck it in the bin and replace it with a new one , But i collect the old tools which were made to last a life time and then some , i have a massive drill from the 50s that i renovated out on display on a stand and people love the steam punk look of it , But when i was putting it back together and re-greasing the gears it was like new when done and had no ware on any parts ,it will easy see another 50-60 years of life

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

It scares me how thick the young ones are getting and how dumb they are when things break or life goes wrong for them , Take away computers and smartphones and you get the blue screen of death from them and they fold like a pack of cards without instruction from social media ,maybe a EMP or carirngton event might sort them out

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Now it is easier to chuck it in the bin and replace it with a new one , But i collect the old tools which were made to last a life time and then some , i have a massive drill from the 50s that i renovated out on display on a stand and people love the steam punk look of it , But when i was putting it back together and re-greasing the gears it was like new when done and had no ware on any parts ,it will easy see another 50-60 years of life

I have a garden shovel that is completely made of metal. No wooden handle, nothing to break, one entire solid piece. They sure don't make them like that anymore!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   

BSOD eh?

That's an apt enough description of manny a Millenial ile give you that.

Then again the same could be said about a lot of old people, take away their TV, and it's not too much of a stretch for them to assume the sky has fallen.

Never seen the vid of two teens trying to fathom an old rotary phone?

Fecking hilarious and then some, the simple act of picking up the handset to initiate the whole procedure was beyond there comprehension.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I am still using a Gillette razor blade from 2004

Trying to explain how that is possible to people i have told and shown it is like magic to some pyramidrazorsharpener.wordpress.com...

I bought a little glass one at a market in the central belt back then for £ 2 and still have the 3 blades i got for xmas and use it pointed north and 3.33 in the pyramid

Magic from a tight Jock

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

My blade on my own razor is about 6months old. LoL

They're bloody expensive.

Canny use cheap crap ones, they give me a rash.

Herd about the pyramid sharpening effect before, even with other bladed tools and the preservation of plant and vegetable matter.

Thought it was pseudoscience at best, to be honest, but if it works for you, all the power to you, or rather the pyramid.

Possible something to do with the pyramid creating magnetic resonance, which is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics?

Don't ask me how all the same.
LoL
edit on 2-12-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join