It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why raising taxes to stop bad behaviors is a bad idea

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

You do realize that insurance programs exist for that last, right? Of course, you also realize that at some point, the extra healthy lifestyle starts to cause problems of its own due to wear and tear. I'm sitting here a bit over a week out from SLAP repair surgery looking at weeks to months of PT and rehab. Active people tend to also get injuries and those are not always easy or cheap to fix.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Sin taxes ?

Invest in SIN stocks.

And self fund bad habits.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Since the tax hike in Illinois, cigarettes are $8.02 a pack, so roughly $80.00 per carton. Most of the smokers I know just go over to Indiana where they are almost $30.00 cheaper. I'm in Kentucky fairly often and when my friends know I'm going they ask me to get them because they are HALF THE PRICE.
Seriously. $43 a carton vs $80.
Illinois is a tax hellhole and I can't wait to get the #@& outta here.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's because politicians are either corrupt or mismanage money. That's the real issue. Taxing cigarettes is fine if it actual helps removing debt. Which it would if politicians weren't corrupt or idiots.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
See this is where you simpletons shine. You have no regard for everything these cursed taxes provide for you and everybody else. No big picture and zero understanding of the challenges involved when trying to run a country.

A government always spends more than it collects in taxes. Because the main goal is to provide for the people what they need, whatever that may be(determined in the political area). In the US for instance, the government spends a lot of money on defense. Is that because they have lots of money from taxes lying around? No, quite opposite in fact. Is it necessary for the safety of the us citizen to spend that amount? Who knows, that's debatable. You'd think the world is a very unsafe place when looking at US defense spending.

Ofcourse there are other elements to the spending behaviour of a government, but if they do not provide for the well being of their people it will be a short run operation. So thats why most governments spend most of their taxes on providing healthcare, infrastructure and education. For the people, you know, so they have a good foundation to make something of their lives and maybe do some good along the way.
Who knows, I must be daydreaming again

Sorry, but you're daydreaming again.

In a perfect country in which the peoples representatives do what they are supposed to do with money collected from taxes and fees, what you say would make sense, but we don't live in that country. We live in a country of corrupt politicians who run for public office with one agenda, to live in the lap of luxury at the peoples expense. Our government has admitted to "losing" trillions of dollars of the taxpayers money with "no idea where it went". Over 2 trillion was lost under the Bush regime, and even more under the Barry Soetoro regime.

Income taxation is not only unnecessary, but was unconstitutional until the 16th amendment was debatably ratified. Income taxation and so-called "sin taxes" only serve to make the rich richer and keep the middle and lower income brackets indebted to the government that is supposed to be looking out for the welfare of its people. The opposite of what you espouse.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

On behalf of my fellow hoosiers.

We apologize for P. Buttigeig.

We're not all like that dumb snip.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

The best ways to get me would be to tax chocolate,coffee,
sugar and salt.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

The government thinks it is bad for people/me because to have money. I don't deserve the money because it gives me a greedy attitude. We cant have that in our society. I thank them for looking out for me.

edit on 1-12-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

What if we accept the ratification on the condition that the Amendment was actually followed? There is zero about Congress being able to legislate ways to collect currently used. So make the Congress Critters send out tax bills to everyone ahead of their mailers for re-election campaigns to see how that works out for them.

Any bets on how long before there would be an Amendment movement to repeal or radically alter?

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Any bets on how long before there would be an Amendment movement to repeal or radically alter?

Likely before the first tax bill gets sent out.

I like this idea...if only.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Anyone who votes for more taxes when their state is already in the red is an idiot. I have nothing else to add.

But you can spend your way out of debt!

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Sad part is, is that they just couldn't save that taxed money to replenish the Treasurys.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
They've already raised taxes on cigarettes and people continued to smoke. I see what you're getting at but it is a bad analogy and doesn't do much for your argument.

Taxes have never stopped anyone from doing anything which is why taxing things because they're "bad for you" is a dumb idea. I think that is a much better argument against putting taxes on sugary drinks and such. It's just an excuse for the government to nickel and dime us that much more.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Can you imagine how chaotic our society would get if everyone stopped drinking and smoking and they increased the tax on sugary things? sugar and alcohol increase dopamine and make people happier. Tobacco is a notropic which means it makes people smarter if they do not overdo it, so smart people do not argue so much over stupid things like politics.

Overindulgence of anything is no good, but a little can make people more civil. Some people should not drink alcohol though, so there are exceptions to the rules. Some of the compounds in wine are not good, it messes with a person's ability to reason and can lead them to believe in lies or twisted information way more.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Oh DB, you simpleton. Your sums stop in mid air. Yes, you tax cigarettes and the state raises $1 million and you stop those people smoking. Bbuuutt, what you fail to take into account is the tobacco industry. They'll have to close therefore the government loses their taxes. Then there will be a few thousand put out of work so the government loses their tax dollars. Not only that but those workers are now unemployed and have to take off the government to live.
It's a very, very slippery slope when tampering with the money for good scenario. You have to look deeper and take it to it's logical conclusion.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It is not the State’s job to police what we drink, eat or otherwise consume.

It is sure as hell should not be their prerogative to try to enforce their will regarding these matters by stealing from us.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
It is not the State’s job to police what we drink, eat or otherwise consume.

It is sure as hell should not be their prerogative to try to enforce their will regarding these matters by stealing from us.

That. It should be carved in stone and placed in a very high place in every city so everyone can see it.
I'm amazed at how many people are taking those taxes for granted, and that scares me to death.
I pay for everything I consume, I pay my city expenses, I pay my income tax, I pay if I need to drive, or to build a little thing in my yard, actually I pay a lot of money so a bunch of useless bureaucrats can sit on their arses and decide what more I have to pay for. I pay taxes so my government can judge me unworthy and punish me with more taxes cause yeah, smoking is a bad thing.

How did we get to this?

No matter what we do, we are damned to pay all our life much more than we agreed for and don't get in return the things we are promised for our money. Like education, and justice, and roads...and a government that works for the people, not against them...
And we can't do nothing about it because most people are just accepting it like is the most natural thing in the world. Taxes and death. Can't get enough of them.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Cigarettes are the perfect substance in that regard. Nicotine addiction is one of the hardest to break. So keep it legal and squeeze blood from the poor, addicted turnips. You didn't actually think they want people to quit did you?

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Also, all of these taxes are really tax on the poor.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Nobody will ever know the results unless tried...cowards in power, a usual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join