It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hezbollah-Backed Protest Fills Square in Beirut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Nearly 500,000 pro-Syrian protesters gathered in Beirut on Tuesday. The demonstration was in front of U.N. offices. It is the first big show of support for Syria since opposition protests began last month for Syrian troops to leave. The rally has been organised by the powerful pro-Syrian Shia organisation Hezbollah.

abcnews.go.com
Loudspeakers blared songs of resistance and organizers handed out Lebanese flags and directed the men and women to separate sections of the square. Demonstrators held up pictures of Syrian President Bashar Assad and signs saying, "Syria & Lebanon brothers forever."

Black-clad Hezbollah guards handled security, lining the perimeter of the square and taking position on rooftops. Trained dogs sniffed for bombs.

Large cranes hoisted two giant red-and-white flags bearing Lebanon's cedar tree. On one, the words, "Thank you Syria," were written in English; on the other, "No to foreign interference."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The rally took place as Syrian soldiers began redeploying to eastern Lebanon on Tuesday in the first stage of a two -phased withdrawal from the country.

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.turkishpress.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Lebanese government resigns
NEWS: Syria to pull back troops by end of March

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It is a real pleasure to see news that's not taken straight from a White House press package.

No doubt the real story is complicated and probably goes back a thousand years. This article gives us a necessary piece of the puzzle, and helps deny bias and ignorance.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
there is some information about 1.500.000 protestors in beirut today!

War On Terrorism thread: Hizb Allah rally draws thousands

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
There is an unstable situation that could be taken advantage of by external elements, like Iran or Hezbollah. Hezbollah - under its leader Sheikh Hassan Nassrallah - might continue its activities to undermine hopes for peace in the region. There is also concern about a possible Hezbollah-backed assassination attempt on PA Chairman Abbas.

I think, the U.S. needs to continue to place relentless pressure on Syria, including using the threat of sanctions.

If the Syrians will leave Lebanon completely and a free and independent government could be formed in Beirut, increased pressure would undoubtedly be put on Hizbullah to disarm its military wing.

Rebekka

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I smell another civil war coming between the lebanese muslims and the lebanese christians...

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Soficrow,
do you have grey on your underwear?

There are more than 1 million syrians working in Lebanon,also 500 000 palestinian refugees(the same one who sparked the civil war)...
Right now only the christian moronite arabs are protesting...The leader of the druze said to his people to put their heads down,and the son and daughter of Hariri took the first plane out of Lebanon saying how "Good the Syrians are for Lebanon",and they will be outside Lebanon till futher notice...
I'm pretty sure you believe that the assassination of Hariri was work of CIA...
What I can say that there are really paranoic people on this Planet and you are one of them for sure...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
A Hezbollah sponsered protest in the streets of Beruit is like the Pro Castro demostrations in Havanna.
"Show up because we know where you live!"

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thats wishfull thinking moon puppy, the Hezbollah does have a fair amount of "believers" in Lebanon mainly under the poor populace and is regarded as the organisation that managed to kick out, i repeat, kick out, israel , during the civil war (at least, that is what they say is their perception).

Well, Bush missed a unique oppertunity to drop that MOAB on the square and get rid of the Hizbollah...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
yes. israel and the united states should have taken advantage of this terrorist gathering and blanketed the area with bombs. i wouldn't go as far as a small tactical nuke because we may wish to occupy the area in the future and the fallout and damage could make that difficult. i do not know what the white house and israel were thinking.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

as posted by soficrow
...and helps deny bias...

Huh? Wooowzers. *double take*

Anyhow....
Back to the topic, interesting that nearly a month ago, Hezbollah stated and warned that pushing the issue of Syria getting out of Lebanon would or could cause a civil war, I find it interesting that the same Hezbollah is orchestrating this protest to counter the Lebanese oppostion of Syria. One step closer to their own issued warning of civil war, eh? Interesting, no?

Besides, the Lebanese opposition, at least some of them, are indicating that those who turned out for the Pro-Syria rally were bused in from across the border (Syria, Palestine camps, etc.) and that those some of the Lebanese in the rally were pressured to attend.

As to the exaggeration of numbers, must have been the same firm that did the Lancet Report, huh?

Hezbollah in Lebanon is like having Hamas in Palestine. Hezbollah is making, and has been, Lebanon terror central for terrorist affairs in that particular neighborhood/region. Maybe we can get the EU to ask Iran to stop funding Hezbollah with another economic package deal?

Being that Hezbollah has offered to pay upwards of 5 times the going rate in the hiring of suicide bombers, I wonder how many they recruited from this rally today?

seekerof

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Well, Bush missed a unique oppertunity to drop that MOAB on the square and get rid of the Hizbollah...

Originally posted by feklar
yes. israel and the united states should have taken advantage of this terrorist gathering and blanketed the area with bombs. i wouldn't go as far as a small tactical nuke because we may wish to occupy the area in the future and the fallout and damage could make that difficult. i do not know what the white house and israel were thinking.

Further proof that the US is the real terrorist nation.
I'm willing to be you both like Bush as you have no respect for life.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
As to the exaggeration of numbers, must have been the same firm that did the Lancet Report, huh?

I don't think there was an exaggeration of numbers.
Even Fox News was saying that it looked like hundreds of thousands of people.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Thanks for the pic AceofBase. Helps show that some of us think outside the propaganda box based on evidence.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
hahahaha the united states is always called the "real terrorist nation" even though we've given more money to the world than anyone else ever. big deal if a few civilians get stamped out over the years. we've saved 10's of millions more with all the food and aid we've given. the world should thank us for bombing a 100,000 or so terrorists and terrorists-in-training. i guess if that crowd had 30,000 terrorists and 50,000 were soon to be terrorists and 15,000 were children who were going to grow up to be terrorists and 4,999 were women terrorists and there by some chance was 1 law abiding civilian we should not kill the whole crowd????!! yeah sure, lets call off the airstrike because there is 1 good guy in the crowd who will probably become a terrorist if he is the only to survive the bombing. don't talk nonsense. this was a great chance to strike but like so many other times the united states and israel worried what the peacemongers would think.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Thanks for the pic AceofBase. Helps show that some of us think outside the propaganda box based on evidence.

The picture was posted by XLEGIONS in Souljah's thread.
Hizb Allah rally draws thousands

Here's the Fox News clip that shows how many people are there.
2005-03-08 Hezbollah Rallies in Support of Syria (Fox News).wmv

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures

Originally posted by feklar

Further proof that the US is the real terrorist nation.
I'm willing to be you both like Bush as you have no respect for life.

What I see is someone who has no sense or humor...

I'll bet there's more busing in of protesters than a jesse jaskson rally.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moon Puppy
What I see is someone who has no sense or humor...

I'll bet there's more busing in of protesters than a jesse jaskson rally.

I think someone should nuke Tel Aviv

Funny?

If not, why is it funny to want to bomb a crowd of hundreds of thousands of people in Lebanon?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Of course, only the White House does propaganda..no one would possibly do the same-so this pic must be an absolute truth?

Your bias is showing. Either it's all propaganda, to be taken with a grain of salt, or it's all honest truth. Picking and choosing is foolish.

let me put a little insight for these images. I've witnessed "mass protests" where as few as a hundred people showed. I've seen the Big Media coverage-camera angles and perspectives chosen that make the protest look like an unmeasurable sea of humanity. I've been in the aftermath of an earthquake where the Media showed huge piles of rubble-they placed their cameras on the ground so the two foot high pile of old bricks looked tall and overbearing.

I've also been to events where there were over three hunderd registered people-I was volunteering for the signups and name tags. The Media covered it in such a way that I did not recognize the event, for it only showed sporadic groups of less than 5 people in almost empty spaces. These photos and videos were taken as people left, or were in the parking lot..or one photo, the group were plainclothes police officers (with radios squawking) who were standing around having a smoke.

Bottom line, don't believe the hype-either way. Big Media fills you with what it wants you to see only. Most "small media" are not independent, and recieve their "information" from the same agencies. Just because a publication is critical of your enemy doesn't mean it's always honest truth. Ditto for ones that complement your friends.

Originally posted by soficrow

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
That is definately not funny , the radio-active cloud might be blown to Europe, try conventinal stuff and try to develope an appreciation for sarcasm Ace.

But isn't Hizbollah a legitimate target on the war against terror ? And what about a square full of illegal settlers that even defy Sharons orders to leave ?, I think the world wouldn't miss these showstoppers to peace either...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
1.5 million???!!! There are 4 million in LEBANON!

Common folks... your true colors are showing. If it is from Washington...LIE... if it is from ,well, any third world hole, gotta be the truth.

Lets just get a link to Al Jazeera so we can all share the truth of the Middle East.

Hezbollah is against Israeli occupation of the West Bank but for Syrian occupation of Lebanon? Hello kettle? this is the pot. You're black.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join