It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge 500ft asteroid skimmed past Earth at 38,000mph LAST Monday

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Wow, never heard of a mini-moon.

Just think if Earth captured something, about a third of the size of the moon (or bigger), in a decaying orbit.

Would there be anything we could do.

carewemust you should make a thread on this mini-moon thing.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Maybe the Kordylewski dust cloud used to be a Moon?

Probably not all the same.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Why do ppl say we need to go to Mars to escape astroids? You do know they hit Mars just as much as they hit us and the chances of it happening are relatively the same. A statement like that does show a form of ignorance in our generation. Let's move too a planet with no oxygen and just as many astroid hits to avoid the astroid hits here. I hope you are not spreading this wisdom to your children. If so I can stop wondering why this generation is so ignorant. It's cause their parents are making them that way

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: gflyg

A statement like that does show a form of ignorance in our generation.

If you read the complete thread you would of see this:

Both planets will, at some point, have human civilizations on them. With the capability for space travel. If one civilization gets wiped out it will not be the end of the human race. The planet that didn't get wiped out can rebuild the other planet.

It will take time, It should of been started 50 years ago. It is a race against time. It may have already been started in secret. If we don't become a multi-planet species we are sure to be wiped out sooner or later and that will be the end of humans.

I can't believe I have to keep explaining this on ATS.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The atmosphere is too thin on Mars. Life would be under constant risk of being smashed by these things.

We're in the part of the galaxy most active with asteroids, so it would be an even greater risk up there.. Bad enough down here.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

That is all true. Where is a better place then? Mars is better than the moon or Venus. Everything else is too far away.

Now if the tic-tac is ours we can go past Mars. Moons of the gas giants may make a nice home. I think the gas giants may have too much radiation. The Sun is pretty far away too. Maybe the belt, it's not that far away and there are a lot of resources.

If we ever do colonize Mars I don't think it will be in domed cities. More than likely the people will live under ground. In lava tube cities maybe.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

I hope it kills the internet. Social media is this country's downfall.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

To be on the surface, we'd have to find a planet with a thick atmosphere like this one. I'm with you all the way about moving out into the far reaches of space, traveling to the far reaches has always been my fantasy, I just wouldn't wanna get there and then get smashed by an asteroid.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I hope it kills the internet. Social media is this country's downfall.

Nine and a half more years and this place will be familiar to
none of us any way. We have to make it to 2029 first.

edit on 3-12-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
3.2 million miles which is like 12x the distance to the moon is hardly what I'd be calling a 'skim'. I'd class a 'skim' as grazing the upper atmosphereIt's not worth worrying about space rocks because, if a large one has our number on it, what can you do about it - hide under the bed?

It's a shooting gallery out there and we will get hit occasionally so just live life while you have it

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
We haven't found life on Mars because life cannot thrive on Mars. I have a feeling it did at one time but Mars is what Earth will be in thousands of years and by then Mars will be even more uninhabitable. Mars is not capable anymore of holding in an atmosphere even if we did teraform it. The core has cooled so much that there is no magnetic field to hold the any oxygen we create. It will Continue to blow off into space quicker then we can ever create it. The same with Earth. As the core continues to cool we will slowly lose our atmosphere until Earth looks like Mars. Mars is not an upgrade it is a downgrade. We would never be able to sustain life inside a bubble on Mars. it's really just a pipe dream that we will ever make it too another star to try and habitate a planet surrounding that. The physics of getting there combined with our fragile bodies that have barely evolved to survive this planet just isn't a reality. Even if we produced no pollution and never got hit by an astroid there are still variables we have no control over that will end life. Like the cooling of the core of the planet that will weaken out magnetic field and strip or atmosphere. There is no stopping that on our planet or any. The only way to thrive on another planet other then our own is to evolve on that planet and evolution is Soo slow that a human this far along in evolution can't just go to another planet and survive long enough to create enough offspring to evolve enough to survive on said planet. We are way too weak. Your idea sounds cool but when u actually look at all the variables it is impossible. We were made for this dying planet and when it dies we die. If life is to continue on another planet it will need to start from scratch. I hope we can debate this some more.

posted on Dec, 5 2019 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Could it be that hypothetical Planet Nine is perturbing asteroids out in the Kuiper belt or entering an area with a higher concentration of asteroids and sending them into the inner solar system?

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

hopefully the jupiter and saturn suck it up

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join