It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hizb Allah rally draws thousands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

More than 100,000 pro-Syrian demonstrators have gathered in Beirut to denounce what they see as Western interference in Lebanon at a rally highlighting deep divisions in the country over Damascus's role.

The gathering, called by the Shia Muslim group Hizb Allah and its allies, is expected to attract tens of thousands of people to a central Beirut square only 300m from where opposition protesters, largely Christian, have held daily rallies to demand a complete Syrian withdrawal form Lebanon.

Hizb Allah chief Hasan Nasr Allah had said the rally would be held to thank Syria for what he calls its sacrifices in Lebanon and to oppose a UN resolution demanding the disarming of militias. Shia Muslims are Lebanon's largest religious sect.

Hizb Allah (Party of God) warned of mayhem if Syrian troops were to leave Lebanon, where the 1975-90 civil war ended with a fragile balance between the country's diverse main religious groups. Lebanon is due to hold a general election by May.

source:
english.aljazeera

yesterday, on monday, tens of thousands anti-syrian demonstrators "occupied" the capital of lebanon, but today tens of thousands pro-syrian demostrators and supporters of Hizb Allah have gathered almost in the same spot. after the assassination of Al-Hariri many of the demonstrators, mainly christian and druze with some sunnis, have staged several large anti-syrian protests.

this gathering today is the answer from Party of God.
it is not a provocation, but a "thank you to syria, for all sacrifices".
why thank you? here is the answer:

"Syrian forces are credited with helping ending the civil war that tore Lebanon apart. Christian, Muslim and Druze militias fought each other in rounds of sectarian and inter-sectarian fighting. About 150,000 people were believed to have died."

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
More than 100,000 pro-Syrian demonstrators have gathered
in Beirut to denounce what they see as Western interference
in Lebanon...

Yeah right
... Syria murders a peace activist, all the countries
in the area including Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey and heck ...
even FRANCE (out of the area, but still ...) are telling Syria to
get the hell out. But this is 'Western' interference?

That's a frigg'n bad joke
and it won't fly this time.

[edit on 3/8/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
LOL Flyer, If France wants you out, you MUST be suspect, they let everybody do everything. Right on!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Neocon enthusiasts who have been slapping each other’s backs for the recent anti-Syria demonstrations in Beirut are going to face an inconvenient reality on Tuesday, March 8, when Hezbollah will lead a rally in support of Syria in Beirut.

www.commondreams.org...

We are all with the Resistance .
We want the truth (about who killed Mr. Hariri) .
No for the foreign interventions (In Lebanese affairs) .

Estimation of 1,500,000 proSyrian Lebanese protestors .

[edit on 8-3-2005 by XLEGIONS]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLEGIONS

Estimation of 1,500,000 proSyrian Lebanese protestors .

i SEE there are ALOT of people on this picture,
but,
1 and a half MILLION?
thats a friggin' exodus!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The folks at Fox were having a tough time with this.
They were refusing to believe this turn out was actually representing the people of Lebanon.

I'm so glad there was a big turn out.

I actualy heard Fox pondering whether US or UN troops should go in after the Syrians pull out in order to 'fill the gap'.

I think the US just wants to get back into Lebanon.
They seem to hate any nation that doesn't have US troops on it's soil.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
even if this IS true, which it very well could be, or at least close to true, (because Hezbollah did call for a gathering or protest-situation yesterday), the thanking of Syria for keeping the stability in the area immediately following the civil war is all fine and dandy, but the truth is that Syria has worn out its welcome and needs to move out in as many stages as it takes within the next 2-4 months. they need to abide by the UN resolutions (don't remember the number of this one) and pull out troops AND intelligence officers. if they don't do this, they will lose what little bit of favor they have with the west. Syria can still get themselves off the schittlist if they begin cooperating. the problem is, this could help contribute to another civil war in Lebanon IF either another country doesn't try to keep the peace there, or, they don't just split it up into little pieces. christians and jews get along, mostly, why can't christians and muslims get along? jews and muslims? why can't Lebanon just say, "ok, some of us believe this or that, others among us believe this or that, none of it matter because we need to hold our COUNTRY together, not our religious fractures."

and yes, i meant "fractures," not "factions."

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
A lot of these protestors want to keep Syrian troops in Lebanon because they are still at war with Israel and they don't want to be left all alone.

Can't say I blame them.

After all, they were occupied by Israel for a while, remember?

The United Nations issued Resolution 425 ordering Israel out of south Lebanon in 1978, but Israel refused, and continued to occupy territory till 2000, when they were forced out militarily.

20+ years of occupation makes you want to have your friends as close as possible.

Democracy in action!

I love how Bush takes all the credit for this, too. Nothing to do with the ex-president being killed, nothing to do with the Ukrianian movement, nothing to do with the last 30 years of history, no no no, it's because of Jesus. I mean, Bush.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

A lot of these protestors want to keep Syrian troops in Lebanon because they are still at war with Israel and they don't want to be left all alone.

War with Israel? Funny, I do not recall any shots fired from Israel to Lebanon recently unless Hezbullah initiated it. Fact is Israel's 'occupation' in S. Lebanon was supported by some of the Lebanese. The Chrisitian ones - Hell, Israel even financed a South Lebanese Army. Remember Lebanon had once a Christian majority.
Wasn't it with the Syrian gov't assistance that the Christian majority was wiped out/forced out of Lebanon? SO of course the Shiite Muslims would like to keep the Syrians close to them - GOD Forbid justice be served and the Christians allowed to return.

Can't say I blame them.
After all, they were occupied by Israel for a while, remember?
The United Nations issued Resolution 425 ordering Israel out of south Lebanon in 1978, but Israel refused, and continued to occupy territory till 2000, when they were forced out militarily.

And today Syria is occupying Lebanon - resolution 1559 and 520 orders Syria out of Lebanon. Should Syria be forced out militarily?

20+ years of occupation makes you want to have your friends as close as possible.
Democracy in action!

I guess you mean the friends of those murderers who massacred and displaced hundred of thousands of Lebanese Christians. I guess that is the Arab/Muslim way - Kill every one who doesn't agree with you and then talk about your great democracy.
In addition Syrian occupation exeeds 20 years and is since 1976.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I notice there's no headline on ATSNN about this...

Say what you want about Syrian thuggery, but that's sure alot of people.

[edit on 3/8/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Judah:

War with Israel? Funny, I do not recall any shots fired from Israel to Lebanon recently unless Hezbullah initiated it. Fact is Israel's 'occupation' in S. Lebanon was supported by some of the Lebanese. The Chrisitian ones - Hell, Israel even financed a South Lebanese Army. Remember Lebanon had once a Christian majority.
Wasn't it with the Syrian gov't assistance that the Christian majority was wiped out/forced out of Lebanon? SO of course the Shiite Muslims would like to keep the Syrians close to them - GOD Forbid justice be served and the Christians allowed to return.

? Israel is at war with Lebanon. You don't recall any shots fired from Israel into Lebanon recently?

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.wsws.org...

The air attacks were launched in supposed retaliation for rocket attacks on settlements in northern Israel by Hezbollah, a Shiite group fighting to free southern Lebanon from Israeli occupation. But unlike previous reprisals in recent years, which hit Hezbollah bases, the bombing deliberately targetted the civilian population of Beirut, as well as recently rebuilt parts of the country's social and economic infrastructure.

Do you remember the massacres in Sabra and Shatila? Wasn't that actually Sharon who was responsible?

Israel has been the aggressor in the war, they are better armed, and better trained, so of course Lebanese people might want the syrians there to protect them becuase they know the IDF has a strong penchant for killing civilians as long as they are Arabs.

You say:

And today Syria is occupying Lebanon - resolution 1559 and 520 orders Syria out of Lebanon. Should Syria be forced out militarily?

? People are demonstrating to keep the Syrians IN. It's democracy. Syria should not be forced out militarily unless there is solid worldwide support and EVERY other option has been used.

I guess you mean the friends of those murderers who massacred and displaced hundred of thousands of Lebanese Christians. I guess that is the Arab/Muslim way - Kill every one who doesn't agree with you and then talk about your great democracy.
In addition Syrian occupation exeeds 20 years and is since 1976.

Um, what are you talking about? Are you talking about THESE murderers?

Ariel Sharon then invited Lebanese Phalangist militia units, trained and equipped by Israel, to enter the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps to “clean out the terrorists". Under the Israeli plan, Israeli soldiers would control the perimeters of the refugee camps and provide logistical suppport while the Phalangists would enter the camps, find the PLO fighters and hand them over to Israeli forces.

However, ultimately no persons were handed over to Israeli forces, there was no fighting and no weapons were reported to be found in the camps. Documents presented in the war-crimes lawsuit against Ariel Sharon allegedly show that the claim about presence of the PLO fighters in the camps was a cover story prepared by Israel. [4] (news.bbc.co.uk...)

Sharon's instructions to the Phalangists emphasized that the Israeli military was in command of all the forces in the area.

The Israeli military had completely surrounded and sealed off the camps and set up observation posts on the roofs of nearby tall buildings on September 15. The next day Israel announced that it controlled all key points in Beirut. The Israeli military met throughout the day with top Phalangist leaders to arrange the details of the operation. For the next two nights, from nightfall until late into the night the Israeli military fired illuminating flares above the camps to assist the militia.

On the evening of September 16, 1982, Israeli army troops, under the command of Ariel Sharon, encircled the camps and the Phalangist militia, under the command of Elie Hobeika, entered the camps. For the next 36 to 48 hours, the Phalangists massacred the inhabitants of the refugee camps, while the Israeli military guarded the exits and continued to provide flares by night.

A unit of 100 Phalangists and 50 Haddad fighters was assembled at 4:00 pm. These 150 militiamen armed with guns, knives and hatchets entered the camps at sunset. A Phalangist officer reported 300 civilian killings to the Israeli command post at 8:00 pm, and further reports of the killings followed through the night. Some of these reports were forwarded to the Israeli government in Tel Aviv and were seen by a number of Israel's senior officials.

Some Israeli soldiers witnessed the massacres, and some reported them to their superiors, who did not act on the information. Lt. Avi Grabowsky was cited by the Kahan Commission as having seen the murder of five women and children. He spoke to his battalion commander about it; he replied "We know, it's not to our liking, and don't interfere." At one point, a militiaman's radioed question to his commander Hobeika about what to do with the women and children in the refugee camp was intercepted by an Israeli officer, who heard Hobeika reply that "This is the last time you're going to ask me a question like that; you know exactly what to do". Phalangist troops could be heard laughing in the background [5] (news.bbc.co.uk...). The Israeli officer reported this to his superior General Yaron, who warned Hobeika against hurting civilians but took no further action. Israeli soldiers surrounding the camps turned back refugees fleeing the massacre, as filmed by a Visnews cameraman.

Please elaborate, because if there were murders going on during that timeframe, it was done under the watchful eye of the current leader of israel.

jako

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi

ok so lets take a look at this situation again:

1945: lebanon gets independance from france
1948: palestinian refugees begin arriving from israel (110.000)
1967: arab-israeli war: more palestinian reefugees arrive from
1975: there are now 300.000 palestinian refugees in lebanon, led by yasser arafat's PLO
1975-76: civil war errupts in lebanon between maronite militia and the palestinian, sunni, and druze forces
1976: syria sents 40.000 troops to lebanon to help the maronite milita
1978: cross-border attacks with israel lead to israel's invasion of southern lebanon
1982: israel invades south of lebanon again, this time the objective is the PLO. it was during this invasion that the first sabra and shatila massacre was committed by the phalangist militia (under the command of elie hobeika).
also after this invasion the hezbollah party was founded:

The organization was conceived in 1982 as a guerrilla group, started by Lebanese clerics and financed by Iran, to oppose the 1982 Israeli invasion and subsequent occupation of southern Lebanon. Some critics argue that the real reason it was set up by Iran was to spread the Iranian Islamic revolution into Lebanon and throughout the Arab world. It maintains an active fighting force, or militia, known as the Islamic Resistance. Since the May 2000 Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon, Hezbollah has continued fighting the Israeli Defense Forces around the disputed, Israeli-occupied Shebaa Farms area.
Although the United Nations regards Shebaa Farms as Syrian territory, Hezbollah considers the area a part of Lebanon. Syrian officals have orally declared that Shebaa Farms are part of Lebanon. The Shebaa farms were taken by Israel from Syria during the 1967 war. Syria was asked to notify the UN that it considered the Shebaa farms to be part of Lebanon but no official statement was ever sent.

so what i see here is, that everytime isreal attacks for some or other reason, there are more and more refugees and everytime there is one more terrorist group to fight with. first the PLO was created out of the misery of thousands and thousands of palestinian refugees. secondly, hezbollah was created when the isreali invaded south of lebanon. again, where isreal interveens there is the rise of "terrorists cells".
so the logic would be:
stop isreal, and you stop the spread of middle east terrorism.
or what?

why wasnt isreal ever FORCED OUT MILITARY when they invaded southern lebanon? or syria? or egypt? they always find time to pull back.

you want massacre carried out by christian phalangist milita?
Sabra and Shantila massacre

I guess that is the Arab/Muslim way - Kill every one who doesn't agree with you and then talk about your great democracy.

hahaha,
my friend, you got confused with some other "country"!
i always thought that current goverment of the united states "kills every one who doesn't agree with you and then talk about your great democracy"!

you're funny!

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

I'm so glad there was a big turn out.

Huh? Are you actually being serious? Just so FOX would have a "tough time" reporting on it? No, really...why would you say something like that? The reason can't possibly be this ridiculous.

Can it?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
What were the numbers on the previous anti-Syrian protests?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
^ 60000 to 70000 anti-syrian protestors .

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi

The Syrians were invited in by the Christians of Lebanon during the Civil War.
www.answers.com...

Here are some (somewhat) recent events involving Israel in Lebanon.

1996-04 Lebanese ambulance destroyed by Israelis (CNN).mov

1996-04 UN peacekeepers come under Israeli shell fire (CNN).mov

Time: Did Israel Wittingly Shell A U.N. Base In Qana? A Disturbing Investigation Is Hotly Disputed

SMH.com.au April 29 2003

Israeli warplanes flew over southern Lebanon yesterday, drawing fire from Hizbollah guerillas, Lebanese security officials said.

The officials said two Israeli warplanes flew over the eastern, central and western sectors of south Lebanon, including the town of Nabatiyeh and the coastal city of Sidon.

Spacewar Nov 22, 2003
sraeli warplanes flew over Lebanon Saturday as the country celebrated 60 years of independence, just three days after renewed UN warnings that doing so could escalate regional tension, officials said.

scoop.co.nz September 24 2004
UN Envoy Voices Concern Over Israeli Violations Of Lebanese Airspace
After a 24-hour period marked by nine Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace, a senior United Nations envoy to the region today called for an end to the overflights.

Washington Times October 18, 2004
Beirut, Lebanon, Oct. 18 (UPI) -- Six Israeli warplanes violated Lebanese air space Monday and broke the sound barrier over south Lebanon, raising tension in the volatile region.

Israel mock raids over south Lebanon (Dec 29 2004)
Beirut, Lebanon, Dec. 29 (UPI) -- Israeli warplanes staged several mock raids over south Lebanon Wednesday, breaking the sound barrier and causing panic, security sources said.

BBC: Clashes erupt on Lebanon border (Jan 09 2005)
Israeli planes and artillery have fired on suspected Hezbollah positions in southern Lebanon after an Israeli soldier was killed by militants.

The UN said a French officer on patrol was killed by the shelling near the disputed Shebaa Farms area. A Swedish UN officer and a Lebanese man were reported wounded in the incident.

Dailystar: Israel continues violation of Lebanese airspace (Feb 25 2005)
BEIRUT: Israel continues to breach Lebanese airspace as Israeli overflights
intensified Thursday, with more than five Israeli planes breaching Lebanese
airspace throughout the day. The overflights were answered by retaliatory fire
from Lebanese Army troops stationed in the South. However, there was
noticeably no reaction from the Lebanese resistance group Hizbullah.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLEGIONS
^ 60000 to 70000 anti-syrian protestors .

Thank you for that bit of information. It appears then that opposition for Syrian pullout is far weaker. If the people have any say in their own affairs then Syria should stay.

Despite political and media assurances, public showings like this definitely disprove that western influence is wanted by all of the Middle East.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Thats alot of terrorist supporters.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hate it or Love it! Im willin to ride it out with the U.S.A in this war!

Hate it or Love it!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1
FOX would have a "tough time" reporting on it?

Actually Fox didn't 'have a rough time' reporting it.
They had it on the news, live pictures and all, off and on all day.
No 'tough time' at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join