It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Is First to Use PATRIOT Act to Detain a Man Forever

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
According to this rag called the Daily Beast. Trump is the first to 'indefinitely' detain someone.

For the 18-year lifespan of the war on terrorism, an obscure provision of the PATRIOT Act permitting the indefinite detention of U.S. non-citizens has gone unused. But to keep a Palestinian man behind bars even after he finished serving his sentence, the Trump administration has fired this bureaucratic Chekhov’s gun.

Adham Amin Hassoun, now in his late 50s, has spent nearly the entire war on terrorism in cages. First picked up on an immigration violation in June 2002, he ended up standing trial alongside once-suspected “dirty bomber” Jose Padilla. But Hassoun was never accused of any act or plot of violence. His crime was cutting checks to extremist-tied Muslim charities operating in places like Kosovo and Chechnya that Congress outlawed after the 9/11 attacks. Hassoun wrote all but one of those checks before 9/11.

Sentenced to 15 years in federal prison, Hassoun should have been a free man in 2017. Instead, he found himself in the custody of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which locked him up in western New York. It was there that Hassoun’s case turned extraordinary.

Orange Man Bad or is he?

Let us begin the war of words.

First. No one even wants this dirt bag.

ICE wanted to deport Hassoun, but his statelessness as a Palestinian got in the way. No country—not the Lebanon of his birth, not the Israel that occupies the West Bank and Gaza—was willing to take him.

Second he's been locked up since GW.

Adham Amin Hassoun, now in his late 50s, has spent nearly the entire war on terrorism in cages.

Third he was a terrorist financier.

His crime was cutting checks to extremist-tied Muslim charities operating in places like Kosovo and Chechnya that Congress outlawed after the 9/11 attacks. Hassoun wrote all but one of those checks before 9/11

Fourth hack judges, and lawyers are making excuses. See the felony murder rule.

Yet the federal judge in his criminal case, Marcia G. Cooke, painted a far different picture of Hassoun during his 2008 sentencing. There was “no evidence that these defendants personally maimed, killed or kidnapped anyone in the United States or elsewhere,” and the government could find “no identifiable victims” as the result of their actions, she said.

What should Trump do ?

Let this guy go?

See First.

Keep him locked up?

See people cry.

And the survey says?

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
So he is being detained without trail?

Am I reading this right, this guy is being held indefinitely with no trail?

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Adham Amin Hassoun, now in his late 50s, has spent nearly the entire war on terrorism in cages. First picked up on an immigration violation in June 2002,he ended up standing trial alongside once-suspected “dirty bomber” Jose Padilla.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Set up a charity and raised money for terrorists organizations. He's a terrorist. The fact that no country would take him says everything about why he should never be released.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
So he is being detained without trail?

Am I reading this right, this guy is being held indefinitely with no trail?

Nope, you're not reading it right

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

In that case seems fair enough to me if nobody else is willing to take him, keep him locked up until some other possibility arises.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Seems post header should read "GW first to lock up terrorist indefinitely" very misleading for sure to attempt orange man bad on this subject.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Third he was a terrorist financier.

Didn't stop Trump from selling weapons to Saudi Arabia or covering up their involvement in 9/11. Sounds like a pretty obvious double standard on his part and any of his supporters who use this line of thought to justifiy this.

I personally don't have a dog in the race, maybe he does deserve to be in jail but using excuses like that only highlights the hypocrisies and double standards of certain people.
edit on 11/29/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Nice political troll.

I love the smell of whataboutism at noon.

Can I have some more pudding sir?

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Not trolling, just telling it how it is. If Trump cared about terrorist financiers and that is a reason for him keeping this guy locked up then he has his priorities all out of whack seeing as he has no problem arming the terrorist financiers in Saudi Arabia and by extension any terrorist cells Saudi Arabia finances.

Sorry that I expect consistency in one's supposed convictions. Maybe you don't but that says more about you than it does me.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I thought the president had the right to jail a suspected terrorist
indefinitely?

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Not trolling, just telling it how it is.

Are ya now?

Miss or just IGNORING the last prez arming mexican drug cartels, and terrorists in SYria?

Back to the topic.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Who missed or ignored that? You think I support Obama doing the same thing? Why on Earth would you think that?

Oh, I know, because YOU use one person's actions to justify another's and assume other people do too. Right? Obama did it so Trump can too! Even though Obama was evil for doing the same sort of thing Trump is justified for doing the same sort of thing because... Obama! Of course.

Nice logic you got going on there. 👍

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Thanks.

Cause it's better than this made up snip.

Oh, because YOU use one person's actions to justify another's. Right? Obama did it so Trump can too! Even though Obama was evil for doing the same sort of thing Trump is justified for doing the same sort of thing because... Obama! Of cours

Done yet?

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Well, you're the one who brought Obama up as if Trump is justified because of what Obama did. Double standards are hard to spot when they belong to yourself so I can't fault you too much for not seeing it.

Anyways, maybe this guy deserves to be in jail, I don't claim to know, but to justify it with such contradictory and easily disproven reasons is pretty intellectually dishonest and/or ignorant.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Have ANYTHING what so ever to say about Hassoun ?

Instead of childish snip?

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Well, how can you serve your sentence if you were not tried? Sounds like he was tried found guilty sentenced and on release date they kept him locked up.

Funding terrorists is the same as being a terrorist. If his country doesn't want him back why should we let him run our streets. Keep him jailed.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

He's a terrorist. What more is there to say? If terrorists were Trump's priority he would have never sold them weapons which is why I'm having a hard time figuring out Trump's motivations behind this move. Maybe you could enlighten me on how he can sell terrorists weapons on foreign soil but claim to fight them on home soil? Seems to be a pretty blatant hypocrisy on his part.

How can I answer the question at the end of your OP if I can't understand the reasoning behind it?

Trump does one thing in his right hand and another thing in his left. Tell me which hand I'm supposed to believe?

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Whatchu talking about ?

Trump doesn't get to give people anything on his own see current impeachment.

posted on Nov, 29 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well neither did Obama in the case you brought up earlier. Obama didn't give those Syrians or Mexicans anything on his own! His hands are clean. Right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join