It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So What is Everyone Making for Turkey Day?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The date disparity is a growing season thing. Harvest is earlier in Canada, so they celebrate it earlier. Remember, it's partially a harvest celebration too.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well that exactly explains it!

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I am set up for Many Bean Soup.

Regular soup recipe: carrots, celery, onions sweated down in olive oil. Add garlic, protein, and any spices that you want. Add soaked beans and liquid (stock, water, beer is a bit much so you can leave it out here). Bring to a boil (Dutch oven,
), cover, and simmer for an hour and a half. Add a can of green chilie tomatoes and let go until the right consistency (about 30 to 45 minutes).

You can add barley, rice, quinoa... anything really. Heck, mine is 15 Bean Soup from a bag and a hunk of ham steak!

Soup is cool that way! Boring, spicy, dressed up or plain, somebody once said soup is good food!

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I am going to cook 5 pounds of turkey gizzards in the crock pot tonight.

I can't imagine eating gizzards that aren't fried and extra crispy, but I'm interested in hearing how you prepare these.

Typically the family gets together at my sisters house and has Thanksgiving dinner.
My mother lives with my sister and has Alzheimer’s. Her condition is deteriorating and my sister decided that we will eat out at a restaurant this year to make things easier for her (my sister). We will be dining at a restaurant that had George Washington as a patron.
My sister and I used to squabble over who got to eat the gizzard and she would buy extra gizzards and put them in the toaster alongside the turkey.
Since we are going out to eat, I bought 5 pounds of turkey gizzards and plopped them in the crock pot, salted them and covered them with water. I’ll keep them on the high setting until I am ready for bed, them set them to low, add some adobo and let them simmer overnight. They will be moist, tender and delicious tomorrow morning.
I will fill a borrowed dish (that belongs to my sister) with gizzards and give them to my sister tomorrow when we arrive at the Stouch Tavern in Womelsdorf, PA.
She will be very happy to see them, as she mentioned to me that eating out would be fine, she would miss the gizzards.

I wish a Happy Thanksgiving to all tomorrow!
edit on b000000302019-11-27T18:57:24-06:0006America/ChicagoWed, 27 Nov 2019 18:57:24 -0600600000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

What a great story!!

Turkey gizzards aren't my favorite, but your story makes me want some none the less!

Fantastic story.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

So we aren't the only family that annually splits the giblets? Mom and sister split the gizzard and I get the heart.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Sent you a message fcd.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: savagediver

got it, and replied to both of them.

I suggest you read them!

ETA - Then read them again. And then read them again in the morning!

edit on 11/27/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

You buried the lead!

While a very specific amount was a nice post, the actual “why” was even better!

And as Paul Harvey would have said, that should have “been the rest of the story”!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

It's the smallest details that make the difference.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: schuyler

It might not be joyful, but I hope it's comforting to all be able to be together as much as you can. Sorry for your loss.

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Very sorry to hear about the last part schuyler. Take an extra shot of that glorious cinnamon whisky, and I'll do the same... It will be like we're cheersing through the internet .Hopefully the kids can take their minds off of things for a while with ample family distractions (and extra dessert).

Thanks. Appreciate it. The kids are the main thing. Trying to keep them happy and loved. Being around people they have known their whole lives is helping. Never thought we'd see our own kids go before us. Love you guys. Thanks.
edit on 11/27/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Gosh, I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter.

May you have the most joyful family get together possible this year...and I do understand the pain.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Actually the family will be celebrating TDay a day late for logistical
reasons... so brother in law will be getting down here tomorrow at
noon. Then it's cousin's on Black Friday.. I quit wondering, really.

For the 28th:
The little lady almost DEMANDED another parcel of my non-patented
two alarm pork pull. That's the stuff you stick a hickory spoon into in
order to test for chemical content; but AFTER IT COOLS COMPLETELY.
I forget the summer ambient temp for outside-- but it's just right if the
wood ignites within 6.66 seconds at 68F/20C. I hear Jerry Goldsmith
somewhere

Now where's that yellow dog Carolina mustard? Night of the Geriatric
Undead Lower Tracts (ft. Buns of Beta(Titanium)) Happy Turkey Day to
All who still are conventionally hell bent on the right thing. I'm envious...

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

I'm down with some two alarm pork pull. Can we do three alarm...or four?

Then add some of that Carolina mustard/vinegar Q sauce on it?

Oh man!

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Fresh herbs at serving... even if they had been frozen. Keeps it fresh.

That is one aspect. Hope others can think of others...

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

a reply to: Lagomorphe

The thread isn't about charity. Besides, bragging about what you give, where, and how much takes your act away from selfless giving and into the realm of bragging just as much as anything you perceive here. It's an act of pride more than one of selflessness.

See how good and virtuous I am? Rather than eat a nice meal once a year, I gave it all to the homeless. Ergo, I am better than you.

Allow me to tell you this much: roasting a whole turkey like this is actually a semi-regular thing for us. We get more than one meal from it. The leftovers from this one bird will feed us for this week. We will make stock off the carcass that will go into several pots of soup/stew or where we need broth for the next 3 to 4 months starting with pot of turkey chili next week that will completely polish off the meat from this bird.

Considering we spent less than $1/lb on the bird, I'd say this is far from a grossly lavish feast we're having tomorrow.

Enjoy if it makes you feel good👍

Honestly, it's a modest meal. Turkey is cheap, and each dish like mashed potatoes or stuffing is dollars as well.

The whole point is you have a traditional meal, but you're thankful for those you spend it with. Thanksgiving is one of the holidays I see extended family I don't normally have the opportunity to see, I'm not alone in that regard.

I think you are missing the whole point of this holiday.

I’m not missing the point mate and I wish you all a marvellous thanksgiving which is deeply rooted in your traditions👍👍

For me personally, Thanks giving is every day of my life when I wake up on a morning alive with my loved ones and when I can put a smile on someone’s face... No matter who they are😉😀

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

So we aren't the only family that annually splits the giblets? Mom and sister split the gizzard and I get the heart.

We always put them in the stuffing and gravy. I thought everyone did.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41

We always put them in the stuffing and gravy. I thought everyone did.

Not me!

Homey don' play dat!

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Have u heard About a turkey Cake
Surprised? Even I was surprised too I saw a blog where I read about the turkey cake. Well, there is one more turkey dish is added to the queue.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Sorry to hear that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join