It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WoTC Author Apologizes Over Not Making Characters In Gay Relationship

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It seems like their endlessly sticking thus in our face. Like in the show Mr. Robot, like why is it necessary for those two Asian dudes to be gay and worry about coming out, like who cares...it just doesn't matter to the plot line

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

So are you saying in Magic the Gaythering there's no dudes playing chicks? That's a shocker.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
It seems like their endlessly sticking thus in our face. Like in the show Mr. Robot, like why is it necessary for those two Asian dudes to be gay and worry about coming out, like who cares...it just doesn't matter to the plot line

Because the world is just too oppressive if all the media heroes aren't forced to be some kind of minority, whether or not the plot actually needs those details or not.

Good lord, I have no idea how I ever grew up and became an independent person in the dark days of the '80s cis-het white male Christian patriarchy, and I have no idea why I can't show you on a doll where those dark days touched me.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What I want to know is when is Demonna getting another go with a third “It Came From the Late Late Late Show” book?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I can't believe people actually take MTG lore seriously (with the exception of Brandon Sanderson's books.)

That said I can see the issue. MTG's lore has built these characters up as being lovers. Then all of a sudden it's essentially made very clear that one of them only finds very masculine people attractive.

From what I've seen it doesn't seem to fit with the character.

Let's be fair though. WotC has never been able to depict female characters in a remotely realistic way. If we're drawing a battleline over this, why didn't we almost 20 years ago when 3E came out?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You never heard of leading someone on before? Using someone to get what you want?

edit on 27-11-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I agree with the dude in the video at last the first 40 seconds.

We are bombarded constantly with political snip.

Why can't we get a break from it all?

Be it game or film and tv.

I guess it's asking too much.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: 35Foxtrot

originally posted by: ChefFox
...the 1% of the population demands for you to apology and bend over to their demands to make their characters?

Thank you. You made me giggle.

The rest of your post. Who cares? Let them have gay characters and story lines. Why does that bother you so much?

Whose story is it? The author's to create or the people who read it? Why should an author apologize for not writing a story a certain way because the readers fantasized that a character might swing a different way sexually? It's not their character or their story to write.

That's why I care.

OK. Everybody's got to care about something, I guess.

I was looking at it more along the lines of coding for a game and not some highfalutin' artsy masterwork.

If you're talking about some author or artist creating real art, then yeah. It's their story or painting or sculpture or whatever, of course.

I just don't see coding a game as art per se. To add a side story where one of the guys or gals gets to be gay or bi or whatever wouldn't be a big deal and they'd probably sell more games; making more than enough cash to be even more profitable even after paying the two guys in the last cubicle to stay late a few days to write the code.

But I don't care and that's 8 lines of text and the time it took to type that I'll never get back. D'oh!

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

That's just it though, this wasn't intended to be that story. If they want that story, add it, but readers shouldn't get their knickers in wad because one particular story didn't go the way they wanted. Misery shows us what happens down that road.

Annie, the original outrage mob ...

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox

What is the LGBT/Outrage Mob you’re referring to here.

Do they have a website?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, at least you’re openly using fiction to back up your wild claims.

Well done.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Considering we're talking fiction all the way around?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
... and speaking of fiction ... instead of posting one dude’s ranting about something he doesn’t like (which is really just political correctness of a different sort) let’s at least just for fun, link the actual article allegedly under discussion.

Vice article that is the “topic” of the OP’s Rant

Though never explicitly stated in the published novels and short stories, Nissa and Chandra’s relationship was heavily implied and teased. Fans argued about the exact nature of the relationship, with some believing it was obviously a romantic connection and others believing they were just friends. Fans even asked WoTC outright what was going on between the pair, to which Head of Story Mark Kelman said, “read the next book.”

SO, can you believe that an anti-gay rant isn’t based on facts? The story implied and teased that two female characters were in a relationship, to the point that it was a matter of discussion in the fan community (this is for a novelization, not the actual card game Magic. (Which invalidates the lazy sniping comments of the OP’s video claiming that he didn’t want to have queer politics inflicted on him in the game.)

If it seems like fans are defensive and on the lookout for bull# from WoTC, it’s because they’ve fought hard to get to the nominal level of recognition and acceptance they currently have within their own hobby.

As the OP refers to an imaginary “LGBT/Outrage Mob” to explain the fan’s reactions ... NOT because the characters weren’t “gay enough” and NOT because there had been no suggestion of a romantic connection between the two characters but MERELY because WOTC had decided that wasn’t in the interest of their gaming products.

Let that sink in. These are characters who were definitely showing interest in each other, embedded in a story that teased this relationship, and when asked a company rep suggested the relationship was real in order to get fans to purchase the next book in the series.

Sure, why would fans be upset? Must be that crazy gay outrage mob, right?

I think we should reevaluate who’s outraged and who’s the mob here.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Gryphon66

Considering we're talking fiction all the way around?

LOL ... point taken.

Why are folks upset about fans that are upset again?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
First, why does less than 5% of the population take up 60% of the news? Now to that less than 5% the easy fix is we should let the alphabet community pick 5% of the gayest looking cards and they can be deemed as gay or any of the other 57 genders...

I'll start.

Look at the lips on that black dude. If that isn't a gay pucker I don't know what one is and that gay chin....yep very very gay... The white dude is wearing mascara and we do not know where his other hand is, so ya gay too.

edit on 27-11-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Because 95% of the population is like the guy in the OP’s video who can’t enjoy his life if he’s made aware that there are gay people in the world too?

Maybe because there’s about 2% of the population identifying themselves as gay and closer to 25% that have relations with their own sex and that causes a lot of tension in some circles? Because you know “I ain’t gay, everybody does that in college.”

It wasn’t about the card game it was about a fiction novel.

Why are the straight guys so upset about a Lesbian relationship that wasn’t in a novel again?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Why are the straight guys so upset about a Lesbian relationship that wasn’t in a novel again?

As a straight guy I'm only upset with Lesbians if they are hot. As far as gay men go I wish all good looking men were gay, except me...

edit on 27-11-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Gryphon66

As a straight guy I'm only upset with Lesbians if they are hot. As far as gay men go I wish all good looking men were gay, except me...

A most excellent answer ... and if I may make a light jest in return, your choice of picture up there tells me you quite understand the “beauty” of the male form ... are you sure? *LOL*

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefFox

Go make your own games, write your own books nuff said. Stop trying to force the rest of the world to bow down to you and your agenda with already established characters and lore
edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum because: Edited for editing.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLieWeLive

its a card game but i think they are talking about the lore which is even more confusing ,they also yelled at cyberpunk 2047 or what ever the number is but they are a polish company and dont really care

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join