It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Scouts advice on hugging during the holiday season .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The Girl Scouts tweeted a old warning from 2017. They advised parents not to force their daughters to hug people this holiday season.

Holidays and family get-togethers are a time for yummy food, sweet traditions, funny stories, and lots and lots of love. But they could, without you even realizing it, also be a time when your daughter gets the wrong idea about consent and physical affection.

How the hell can anybody even come to that conclusion? Kids around 12 or under for the most part have no problem showing affection. Sometimes they just forget to. Sometimes they’re hesitant or scared. A reminder doesn’t hurt anyone. It is a way to build confidence, teach manners and respect for other people’s “feelings”. (A liberal priority)

I’ve yet to see a parent drag the child across the room and wrap their arms around grandma Beatrice.

Have you ever insisted, “Uncle just got here—go give him a big hug!” or “Auntie gave you that nice toy, go give her a kiss,” when you were worried your child might not offer affection on her own? If yes, you might want to reconsider the urge to do that in the future.

The GSA should mind their own god damn business and quit micromanaging peoples children.

“Go give aunt jill a hug she drove 1000 miles to see you”.

Your daughter might hesitate because she doesn’t see aunt jill much. But a little urging can reinforce the family bond. Not to mention aunt Jill has probably been eagerly thinking about the kids the whole trip. That’s what I do. I can’t wait to see those little smiling faces.

If it was the cool aunt Pam that she hasn’t seen in two years the same little girl would leap in her arms.

The level of love from both ends is probably the same. Hugs are the best way to express it. The child might not recognize aunt Jill but she’ll know in a second that aunt Jill loves her when she wraps her arms around her.

Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn’t seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she “owes” another person any type of physical affection when they’ve bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life.

So the GSA’s conclusion of teaching my grand daughter respect , love and the best feeling in the world.

Might cause her to jump into bed with every boy that buys her a cheeseburger or does something nice.

Is freaking absurd

Hugs make people feel good even when you’re in deep anguish.

Hugs relieve anxiety.

A hug can pick your whole day up when it’s just not going right.

Hugs can show general affection or intense love.

Hugs are a personal touch that show your true feelings.

All I can see is pluses, pluses, pluses .

Yes I agree there are some deviants out there so that needs to be monitored.

This whole thing to me feels like an attack. The concept in my opinion can only come from liberal ideology. It also seems to stem from the never ending war on the holiday season. Christmas or Thanksgiving pick one or both.

Hugs are a huge part if not the best part of the holiday seasons.

Possibly tainting a child’s views on hugging another person. Could deprive them of joy, relief, closeness, sympathy, true emotion and all the endorphins that come with hugs.

That would do far more damage on a person than some imaginary cheeseburger scenario made up by a liberal psychologist to feel good about herself and gain esteem in the whole wacky liberal movement.

Liberal ideology has removed many things from our culture.

But you will not take a hug from my niece away from me. Even if she has to be reminded !

I’d go to war over that!

Mind your own business
Bonus rant....

Not only does the chief developmental officer of the GSA Dr Bastiani Archibald promote gender choice for these “impressionable girls” that need to be protected from the evil hug.

In true liberal hypocritical fashion. She believes that the Boy Scouts should be open the girls but ........

We know that girls learn best in an all-girl, girl-led environment,” Bastiani Archibald said. “It’s unfortunate that some people still consider belonging to a male membership organization superior to belonging to a female one.”

To sum up her positions.

Warning girls about hugs

Embracement of changing your sex when you’re an adolescent. (i’d say that’s worse than hugs)

Boy Scouts bad they don’t allow girls.

Girl Scouts good because the best environment for girls is girls. SMH

Hypocrisy what a surprise

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:38 AM
link   
But they turn around & say it's ok to pander sweets to strangers on the sidewalk underage, and even if the scout doesn't want to talk to the people, she's got to do it anyway because it "builds entrepreneurial confidence". Stupid hypocrites.

Suffice it to say, training your kids to be teacups from the start leads to useless teacup adults. Part of the problem is the rampant willingness to mass label kids with some vague disorder or another they barely qualify to be labeled as ("Oh, Precious has sensory disorder!" No she doesn't, not hitting any of the benchmarks, lady) And to use it as an excuse to have the world cater to them exclusively.

It teaches them nothing useful for the next 60-80+ years of life. My youngest was shy when she was younger. WAS. If she'd had it her way, she wouldn't have interacted with people, at all. Sorry kid, but you have to at least acknowledge people when they speak to you, life doesn't care if you don't like to. In fact, life says you WILL learn them (people skills), whether you like it or not. I'm largely an introvert and seriously despise interacting with people, but I suck it up and do it anyway when I need to (including hugging people I'd rather not, because it's fricking polite)

Kinda have to have some semblance of passable people skills, otherwise it's Crazy Cat Lady Spinster life in the woods for you.
edit on 11/27/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I grew up in a huggy kissy family and I'm glad I did.

Hugs are awesome!

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

It’s bad enough that we already need to worry about the programming being done in the education system.

I didn’t know there was extracurricular programming too.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hugs say I love you with without using words .

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

How the hell can anybody even come to that conclusion? Kids around 12 or under for the most part have no problem showing affection. Sometimes they just forget to. Sometimes they’re hesitant or scared. A reminder doesn’t hurt anyone. It is a way to build confidence, teach manners and respect for other people’s “feelings”. (A liberal priority)

They maybe have an in built instinct .... a kind of radar toward people?

Have you ever insisted, “Uncle just got here—go give him a big hug!” or “Auntie gave you that nice toy, go give her a kiss,” when you were worried your child might not offer affection on her own? If yes, you might want to reconsider the urge to do that in the future.

That happened to me and it was a mixed message, why should I that man

(your friend/relation) is taking every opportunity to do things to me I dont

like or understand.

(Abusers have families too!)

The GSA should mind their own god damn business and quit micromanaging peoples children.

On the other hand they might just have something that will stop your child

from an abuser? (Abusers dont exist in isolation they have families too!)

Your daughter might hesitate because she doesn’t see aunt jill much. But a little urging can reinforce the family bond. Not to mention aunt Jill has probably been eagerly thinking about the kids the whole trip. That’s what I do. I can’t wait to see those little smiling faces.
If it was the cool aunt Pam that she hasn’t seen in two years the same little girl would leap in her arms.

Let her hone her OWN instinct's

The level of love from both ends is probably the same. Hugs are the best way to express it. The child might not recognize aunt Jill but she’ll know in a second that aunt Jill loves her when she wraps her arms around her.

Hugs have lost value ...... everyone is doing it even politicians

I am particular who I want to hug .....choice is the answer, and I

will decide WHO i want that close.

Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn’t seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she “owes” another person any type of physical affection when they’ve bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life.

TOO RIGHT

So the GSA’s conclusion of teaching my grand daughter respect , love and the best feeling in the world.
Might cause her to jump into bed with every boy that buys her a cheeseburger or does something nice.

Your grandaughter will hone her own instincts, throwing her feelings around

at someones else's behest teaches her nothing,

Hugs make people feel good even when you’re in deep anguish.
Hugs relieve anxiety.
A hug can pick your whole day up when it’s just not going right.
Hugs can show general affection or intense love.
Hugs are a personal touch that show your true feelings.
All I can see is pluses, pluses, pluses .

Maybe right for you......not necessarilly for everyone? some people including

children can be reticent and take time to decide who they want in their space.

Possibly tainting a child’s views on hugging another person. Could deprive them of joy, relief, closeness, sympathy, true emotion and all the endorphins that come with hugs.

It could also possibly save them from an abuser?

Abusers also have families and friends!!! they are not tattooed on the

fore head 'abuser' Mine was everyone's favourite jolly uncle.

That would do far more damage on a person than some imaginary cheeseburger scenario made up by a liberal psychologist to feel good about herself and gain esteem in the whole wacky liberal movement.
Liberal ideology has removed many things from our culture.
But you will not take a hug from my niece away from me. Even if she has to be reminded !

Liberal ideology is not the burden I have carried all my life, But abuse is.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Everyone has the right to decide who they will and will NOT hug... including children. I never forced my kids to hug anyone, and never would.

As well, I would say that adults should be less insistent on hugs when a child is reluctant. Shaking hands is good, as are high fives. No good reason for adults to be forcing physical contact or intimacy on any child.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Aunt Bunny? Mustache?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I enjoy your rants. They remind me of Andy Rooney.

[Gives Fallingdown a manly hug lasting no longer than 3 seconds with 3 pats on the back to signal that it's time to let go and not look each other in the eye.]

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I only have boys, but I don't make them hug anyone ever. If family members are weirdly insistent about it, I tell them to get over it. They hug who they feel like hugging, and it's usually the "creepier" family members they refuse to hug. I believe in their intuitions about people.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I don't hug all my little buggers at family events. If we feel like hugging we will if not oh well we'll just say bye til next time. Maybe that time we'll hug.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Hugging Aunt Jill will make you think rape is good.

Cuz logic.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

they are their own people not a little monkey for you to command to do tricks..

if my daughter doesn't want to give her aunt a hug she doesn't have to. and if anyone has a problem with it they can go f--k themselves.

you sound like control freak. #triggered
edit on 27-11-2019 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I tell you whaat...

I really disliked hugging and kissing aunts, or any family member for that matter when I was a kid.
I still dislike it, but they can't grab my head and force me to plant one on the lips anymore.

I can only imagine certain scenarios for young females with those damn creepy uncles.
As much as I'm against millennial nonsense, forced contact in any scenario peeves me off.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I always though that hugging was the socially acceptable way for a woman to go for a man's wallet?

But I'm an old-time misogynist.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

If it were not for my friends and family making me hug
them I would be a much worse person.

edit on 27-11-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Yeah about that

I never said you should force them to hug anyone.

I tried to say that sarcastically when I mentioned that I’ve never seen anyone drag their child across the room and make them wrap their arms around anyone .

In the first paragraph I said “ a reminder doesn’t hurt anyone “ and it doesn’t .

Kids tend to be self-absorbed and distracted about a plethora of things. That’s why we coach them on safety , rejection , drugs, alcohol, bad influences and right or wrong to name a few .

Why should coaching them on politeness be any different ?

I also mentioned that I acknowledge there are deviants. So all situations should be monitored . If your child hugged someone and you felt it was inappropriate . If you didn’t speak up you shouldn’t have children .

Plus I highly doubt a hug would be a deciding factor to some pervert seeking to get his jollies .

If (and I would bet ) the Girl Scouts did instruct them on this reasoning . It might plant ideas that could screw them up for the rest of their life. Don’t hug any family friend or member they might be trying to molest you . When your a adult be leery of anyone that’s kind or generous because they’re trying to lure you into the sack . It could just as easily skew their whole outlook on social interactions.

Of course there are risks from predators. But the same risk apply walking to school, sitting in a classroom or even going to a GSA meeting .

Should they also be told you don’t have to go to school if you don’t want to because somebody might be trying to molest you ?

Whole concept is silly children need guidance that’s why we give it.

Hugs far outweigh the risks especially when you’re in the room .

edit on 27-11-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

they are their own people not a little monkey for you to command to do tricks..

if my daughter doesn't want to give her aunt a hug she doesn't have to. and if anyone has a problem with it they can go f--k themselves.

you sound like control freak. #triggered

“ Force “ seems to be the prevailing theme in the replies .

Please point out where I said that ?

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The argument in summary...

"I don't want to feel awkward around member XYZ of my extended family when my kid refuses to give them affection, so screw my kid not wanting to feel awkward hugging someone he or she does not want physical contact with, I will demand they hug XYZ."

This discussion isn't new to ATS, seems to be sparked up every year by someone and it's one of those rare arguments which seems to detach itself from politics and people take sides with folks they'd generally disagree with. Personally, I think any parent who forces their kid to hug an adult they clearly do not want to hug is a self centered ass more concerned with opinions of themselves than they are concerned with their own child's mental security. It's a child, they're supposed to have irrational fears and sometimes make a decision you wouldn't have made, they're also supposed to have parents that place their child's needs for actual and perceived safety ahead of Uncle Doofus' fragile ego and fleeting judgemental opinion of you and yours. If my kids don't want to hug an adult, then I suggest said adult grow the hell up and get over it as adults do, recognizing that children sometimes act in their own personal interest before placing someone else's feelings above their own... irony: pissing and moaning about a child not placing your wishes ahead of their own when that's exactly what you're doing, yourself: not placing the child's wishes above your own.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

To sum up your summary .

so screw my kid not wanting to feel awkward hugging someone he or she does not want physical contact with, I will demand they hug XYZ.

Wrong never said that never implied that never would allow it .

Hugs are vital to children’s mental physical and social development .

There are countless articles on the benefit of hugs from the parental aspect.

There are also many articles along the lines the negative affects of “forcing” a child to hug someone .

Then there are studies like this again showing the benefit of non-parental hugs .

A young child’s growth needs a lot of different sensory stimulation for normal development. Skin contact, or physical touch such as hugging, is one of the most important stimulation required to grow a healthy brain and a strong body.

In Eastern European orphanages, infants are rarely handled or touched. They often spend 22 to 23 hours of the days in their cribs. Propped bottles are used to feed them and care is routinized with minimal human interaction. These children often face many issues including impaired cognitive cognitive development​1​.

Your body is wired to the benefits of hugs probably more so from a parent but they also have the same physical and mental affect from a loving relative or even friend. I’ll ask you a point-blank question .

Would you be willing to die to protect your best friends 10-year-old ?

I would .

That’s love .

Children need to know the they are loved .

Gentle reminder doesn’t hurt anyone.

Throughout time hugs have been accepted and encouraged as a way to bond . Do you think 10,000 years of history should be thrown out of the window because of some couch lifeguards opinion ?

Why do people always take things to a extreme ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join