It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are today's politics modeled after Reality TV?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   
(Disclaimer) I read the disclaimer and have no supporting facts for this post.

This is my first attempt to post something political on here, and I put it in the general conspiracy due to not having any supporting facts, just my own observations and opinions. Not really sure if it's my opinion or just a question that I propose. Please delete or move if necessary.

Since my girlfriend got super heavily into reality TV shows, I began noticing that the politics in this country seem to follow the same guidelines. There is consistent drama and discovery. There is a cast and all play their part to achieve some sort of finale. I remember back to the 1990's when the WWF was in full swing. All these different wrestlers appeared to represent different types of people who like to watch wrestling, and all with different backgrounds. Some may have been from different ethnic backgrounds, some may have been bullies, some were bullied by the bullies, and some even followed the dark, or mysterious, background and represented the outcasts. You would identify with a particular wrestler and cheer for them and feel a sense of accomplishment when they won a match, and if they won the Championship belt, well then you were super stoked. Kinda like your represented group won the belt. There was always name calling, shaming an opponent, and then finally the match. Could it be possible that the current situation in politics today is similar to WWF or a reality TV show? I mean the president was the host of one at one point.

Since I was in my early teens, I have always felt like the president wasn't the president at all. More like having the illusion of a president, and maybe that people are easily fooled and easier to control when they think they have a say in the elections or the politics of our country. I find that I sway back and forth on this idea, and sometimes I am full on conservative, and other times I just don't believe any of them. The ideas and beliefs between the two parties contrast so badly and sometimes I find myself thinking, "how could any reasonable person support this or that idea?" Almost like the politician doesn't even believe in what they are saying themselves. Are they robots? Aliens? Maybe Demons? Who knows?

What do you think ATS? Am I crazy, or does something seem off here? Like maybe the possibility of Pelosi and Trump sharing beers backstage and flying in the same jet to the next title match?

Thanks for reading. Go easy on me, I don't post here often.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Some truth to it. He was a reality TV star. I never watched his show, only knew the "you're fired" bit. Personally, can't stand him. Even as a child with the gold sinks in an airplane on Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous. Thought it was stupid.

I do like the lowering of taxes and the upswing in the economy. It has benefited me. Eat out more, done more home improvement projects all with local infusions of cash. I like putting cash back into the local economy.

Rest of it don't care. Abortion, guns, illegals. No impact on my life. I'm about to retire. Already earned my coin in this world. I honestly don't even know why he cares. He was in much better shape before running financially. Nobody really disliked the guy.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: AIC4ME

Late night is sometimes slow here. You don't post much, but this is certainly a good post. S+F

I think the surreal feeling you're getting is because it was clearly all what wrestlers call kafabe. They were fighting in the press, but after the spotlights went out they all buddied up and took advantage of their positions to enrich themselves and those around them. The entrenched pigs were just on opposite sides of the trough. The fights and the injuries weren't always scripted, but rarely real.

I don't think Trump was part of the design.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Honestly, I don't exactly believe he is or isn't part of the design. For the most part, I like that Trump speaks his mind. I don't always agree with him, and even cringe sometimes, but I do respect someone who says what he means and doesn't try and sugar coat anything, or puff it up so he sounds more neutral. It drives me insane when a politician gives a big long statement about something and by the end of it, your scratching your head trying to figure out if he agreed or disagreed with said statement. Almost as if they always have an out and never give a full opinion. I am one who speaks my mind and tries not to put myself in a position where I have to flip my beliefs to make someone approve of me. If you don't like it, feel free to challenge me and have a polite conversation to persuade me to change my mind.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Since I was in my early teens, I have always felt like the president wasn't the president at all. More like having the illusion of a president, and maybe that people are easily fooled and easier to control when they think they have a say in the elections or the politics of our country.

Good observation, that's where the saying " politics is show businesses for ugly people " comes from.

Always follow the money if you want to find the truth, as you can see though most people are cheerleaders and that's why we find ourselves in this mess.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   

The last three years have been so super charged of Reality Show shenanigans that I've stopped caring.

I'll still vote, but I do my best to stay away from the chest thumping and gnashing of teeth.

Sad state of affairs...the media manipulation is off putting.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

My opinion is that shameless and frequently disgusting behavior on reality television conditioned everyone, including politicians, to publicly say and do crap that never would have been socially acceptable before. It's alarming.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Well, really, being a game show host and selling real estate are his most successful ventures (prior to winning the popularity contest). I's like that's all he actually knows.

edit on 27/11/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

It's TV in ALL it's forms are modeled after politics.

You literally can not watch anything without it being heavily influenced & pushing some kind of agenda.

In other news,

The new Superman isn't going to be white.

Which is fine I guess if you like your childhood heros having their race, and gender changed. Second part is coming to a tv near you soon.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

It's TV in ALL it's forms are modeled after politics.

You literally can not watch anything without it being heavily influenced & pushing some kind of agenda.

In other news,

The new Superman isn't going to be white.

Which is fine I guess if you like your childhood heros having their race, and gender changed. Second part is coming to a tv near you soon.

Maybe people that watch too much tv can no longer grasp the difference between tv and reality.

new topics

top topics

join