It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am 28 and I literally have no clue what I am doing with my life. I have become stagnant.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5letters
a reply to: putnam6

I would absolutely love to as I speak arabic french and farsi almost fluently, but you need experience to work overseas.

Well, all I can say is keep looking, this was about 5-6 years ago but he was hired straight out of the university. BTW he was well compensated, make sure you emphasize not just willing to relocate but enjoys traveling wants to see the world that kind of thing. There has got to be something out there for someone of your education. Don't give up. Also, don't be afraid of taking something where you can work up to where you need to be if its the right company you can move up fast. Good Luck my friend

20 Best petroleum engineer jobs (Hiring Now!) | SimplyHired
Search domain www.simplyhired.com/search?q=petroleum+engineerwww.simplyhired.com...
The Petroleum Engineer will:. Leidos is seeking a Petroleum Engineer in Lakewood, Colorado to support The Division of Energy and Mineral Development (DEMD)... Estimated: $80,000 - $120,000 a year. Please note that all salary figures are approximations based upon third party submissions to SimplyHired or its affiliates.
$76k-$184k Petroleum Engineer Jobs (NOW HIRING) | ZipRecruiter
Search domain www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Petroleum-Engineerwww.ziprecruiter.com...
Browse 14,159 PETROLEUM ENGINEER Jobs ($76K-$184K) hiring now from companies with openings. Find your next job near you & 1-Click Apply!
41 Petroleum Engineer Oil and Gas Jobs | One Oil Job Search
Search domain www.oneoiljobsearch.com/petroleum-engineer-jobs/www.oneoiljobsearch.com...
All Petroleum Engineer Oil and Gas Jobs on one site. We search every oil job board. You only need to search one.
edit on 26-11-2019 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

There is only one guarantee with the job market these days, and that’s the medical field.
Being it mental health, or an RN, or Dr, there will never be too many doctors.

In the mean time go on mining.com and post your resume on the job bank.
You’ll get a call with 3-4 weeks.
I’m hounded for jobs at least weekly.
I have head hunters on LinkedIn and employers on mining.com always contacting me.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

petroleum, can also move you to different types of companies. Are you looking at just petrol? Look at natural gas, liquid gases, etc. its all interconnected. My god dude, you can literally get a job for my company starting at 50k in the union with that degree. look at dominion energy, or southern, or duke. there are other companies to look at too. there is no reason for you to not have a job with that degree. You may not get an engineering job to start, BUTl BUT!!!!!! you can get in the union in my company, get into management within 5, and by 10 your running a freaking department.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Become an interpreter in the petroleum engineering field. Also that field seems pretty broad. Any passions in science or geology? Go broad not narrow.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

I am 110% sure that those jobs need experience. So the people who are trying to apply with no internships literally get left behind. What company do you work for! I will gladly apply!

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Well bud I’ll tell you this...ATS isn’t the place to find the answer to these sorts of problems..If you’re here just venting no problem, but if you’re taking advice from a bunch of people who know nothing about your intricate life situation or you personally you’re just wasting time dwelling on the problem and not advancing to a solution. Figure it out

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Have you ever spoken with a career coach? You'll probably have better results speaking with one of them than seeking career opportunities here.

Reach out to some old or current contacts and start networking. It's important to know people who work in the field of work you want to do who know you are looking so that when a position becomes available they can say they know a guy who's a good fit for the role.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I will share a little well-earned wisdom since you are looking for some guidance. Time will tell if it connects with you. When I was young and starting out in life, I had no limits. I could do anything and go anywhere. I loved the romantic architecture of Old World Europe and Russia. I also loved dreaming up gorgeous houses for my friends and family. So I went to school for a degree in architecture. I quickly discovered that most architecture is very commercial and very cookie cutter. It is also very dependent on the economy... It wasn't quite as romantic and artistic as I had hoped....

Over the following 10 years, I went back to college for additional degrees in electrical and computer engineering and physics. But I learned on bit of wisdom along the way that has served me better than any university degree I ever received.... If you want to be happy and feel fulfilled at the end of the day and, more importantly, at the end of your life... Then figure out how to find your passion and purpose for life. That "thing" is not necessarily what you are good at or make good money at....

I have done some amazing things, incredible revolutionary things in science, business, and philosophy/religion that I would have NEVER had a chance to do if I had not been brave enough to step away from the comfort and security of a known, traditional career and just started pursuing my interests and learning how to "make it" along the way.... Yes, there were hard times and highs/lows but I earned my way and created an incredible story in the process.

Your ability to tolerate risk versus potential reward is only something you can work out yourself... But what I'm putting before you is about something far more valuable than money... It's your purpose and meaning to life.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5letters
a reply to: camain

I am 110% sure that those jobs need experience. So the people who are trying to apply with no internships literally get left behind. What company do you work for! I will gladly apply!

Let me tell you a short but true story.

In 2018, I was without a job and depressed. I decided to sit down and cheer myself up one day by taking 5 minutes to day-dream about how one day I would own a Serengeti cat...a very expensive breed. At the time I could barely afford to eat two solid meals in a day.

I didn't tell anyone about my "ridiculous" idea, yet less than a week later, a family friend texted me, asking me if I would take a cat that a friend of his could not take care of. She turned out to be a Serengeti. I named her Birkhathi, which means, my blessing, in Hebrew.

Another story.

My in-laws helped me out tremendously in the early years of my marriage. They were like second parents to me. So this year, I wanted to take them on a vacation. I asked the Lord for the money for a vacation. I have a job now, but the income is not what I would prefer. Soon after the prayer, my truck was totaled by a reckless driver, but then someone gave me a new vehicle (a better one) for FREE, and I received a $4k check from the claimants insurance company....So after all the trouble, I got a new, better, vehicle, And the money for my vacation.

Its all about your attitude. If you really want the petroleum engineering job, it will come to you, but maybe its not what you really desire.

So is the issue the job, or your knowing your desire?

I used to be a pharmacy tech. It made me hate every single day of my life for 8 solid years, so I walked away and went with the uncertainty of faith. Today, I am physically healthier, and I have a better understanding of myself. I don't regret walking away from job security.

You know what you need to do. Its in your OP. Pursue your desire. Don't look back. You only have one life to live. What difference does it make in the end if you took the path of uncertainty?
edit on 26-11-2019 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Good thing you're tough...
I'll ask that God show His works in your life....clear a path and you expect things will fall inline, even as ya can't see how it will come to be...go after whatever interests you...He has to lead you...

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Oddly enough, just before I quit my pharm tech job, I was absolutely obsessed with physics for almost a year and a half. It taught me life was not as deterministic as I was raised to believe. Today on my free time, I study philosophy, psychology, and the Bible in Hebrew and Koine Greek. Its the most rewarding thing I have ever done. No more boring life of counting pills anymore.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Get a commission in the military. They'll take care of you: pay you; maybe pay off any student loans; let you gain experience.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

People often think the truth of the universe boils down to one concrete answer.... But a true analysis of physics as we know it today shows that life is full of contradictions... And just like quantum states, the is never just one truth. There may be multiple truths that exist at the same time in the same space and be in complete contradiction with each other and still be valid.

The deeper I delve into quantum and theoretical physics, the more I see patterns and concepts confirmed that were put forth in ancient wisdom around the globe.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Anywhere offshore is where the money is. Look for adventure, reach for something out of your comfort zone.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I thought petroleum engineering was a lucrative degree so I just went for it. I have some interest in it but this wasn't worth it.

Yes, it's worth it. Move to Texas and go to work. They can't get enough quality people to work in the Permian basin.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Asking for help or advice is never embarrassing. Reading your post, it looks you lack on experience. There are 3 solutions i can give you.

1. Find an internship program on Junior Petroleum Engineering. Overseas if necessary.

2. Keep working as a server, while you pursuit your interest in the Architecture. At the same time keep looking for internship programs on Junior Petroleum Engineering.

3. If you think Petroleum Engineering is not for you, you might want to change your field completely. Become a Software engineer or Automation Engineer.

But i am confident you will figure it out eventually.

Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Your asking complete strangers advice on your path forward?????? WTF....

The only embarrassing thing for you is your failure to realise that your not actually "stagnant" but rather the contrary - your waking up from the sheeple paddock herd.

Utilise this new found ability to self analyze - you may find it extremely useful.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

No matter what partner you are in the USA. Pursue the new degree of
course immediately. Things will change but in the mean time you're
getting closer to the next one. Even if you go all the way to the next
degree without a job in oil. You'll have two degrees go'n for ya at what
33? Still a pup. Knock em dead man!

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I used to do volunteer work with people at their end when I was younger. Overwhelmingly, on their deathbed, they told me the same message over and over: don't be afraid to take risks in life and do what makes you happy.

I know they are cliches, but they have become cliches because they are true. I, however, didn't heed their advice. I've always been too careful and cautious. Doubting myself and my abilities and talking myself out of taking every risk in front of me. Now I am sick and not long for this world and what these people had foretold rings loudly in my ears every remaining day and keeps me up when trying to sleep at night. I regret every risk I didn't take and wasted far too much time being miserable and filled with self doubt.

One of my favorite lines ever from a song is from Radiohead's 'Pyramid Song': "there was nothing to fear, nothing to doubt". This is meant to describe the afterlife or heaven, but really it can be taken as a lament of life wasted here on earth as well. All the heavens and hells are really within us, right now, in this life right here on earth. Please go listen to this song if you haven't before and please go find your happiness and never hesitate to share that happiness with everyone you can. I'm not much older than you now and it is already too late for me. You never know when you will run out of time. Don't waste a second more. Go now. Be happy. Be you.
edit on 27-11-2019 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I am thinking of pursuing another bachelors degree or a masters in something I have an actual genuine interest in like architecture. Should I do it, or keep trying to look for a job?

It depends on how much you want to invest in your education based on the return. Architecture isn't it. It requires 5 years of schooling, 12 - 18 different exams to pass, hours and hours of internship, and the pay sucks in comparison, not to mention that the industry is definitely not recession proof. The industry took a major dive after 911 and then again after the 2008 recession. It's very competitive and probably 75 - 85% of people working in the industry are working as sole proprietors or in small limited liability companies.

edit on 27-11-2019 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join