It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOC’s inspiration failed as solar company fires all employees after they unionized

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Check this out. Inspired by AOC and get fired!

Employees at New York City solar power company Bright Power were inspired by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and her Green New Deal to form a union in April.

Ok. Whatever float's their boat.

Before their first contract negotiation was complete this month, they were all terminated as the company decided to go back to their old model of using subcontractors.

Let's see if you can figure out why they all got snipped canned.

Employees at Bright Power sought to form the first solar energy union in New York. They accomplished their goal in April with 75% of their employees voting in favor. But after months of negotiations to hammer down their first contract, which would have included a $56/hour wage, 401K, pension, and other benefits, ownership decided to change back to their old business model of using subcontractors.

I side with the business on this one.

The workers said they were inspired by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal which uses climate change as a backdrop to promote radically progressive economic ideas that boost government intervention across the board while making labor unions the dominant private force in the overall economy.

That is what AOC is all about.

Making unions the dominate private force in the overall economy.

And YOU WATCH just how many business's follow suit as Bright Power.

$56 an hour PLUS benefits.

LOL. talk about effing GREED.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yeah, I can't fault the company there, $56 an hour is a bit steep. They were effectively demanding (if memory serves) 2-3+ times industry average pay there, depending on the actual positions.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

as a small business owner, you have to operate a efficiently as possible. If you can sub out your labor, and save money, it's what you do. You don't go into business to make everyone else rich, you try to make yourself money and in turn, those who helped you will reap the profits as well. But you have to put in some time and effort. asking for the moon on day 1 likely will result in this.

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Get Woke, go Broke.

No second line really needed because AOC.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Time for someone [fired employees] to get an LLC and become independent contractors.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Time for someone [fired employees] to get an LLC and become independent contractors.

Their in for a rude awakening. If they do

Especially having to pay self employment taxes and ALL of their social secuirty and medicare TAXES. Ontop other taxes.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

True!

Then they can get paid the same as the other contractors instead of leveraging their position as employees of the company to bankrupt said company.

Funny part is, they probably had good wages and benefits before they decided to go with a hostage situation.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Their in for a rude awakening. If they do

Especially having to pay self employment taxes and ALL of their social secuirty and medicare TAXES. Ontop other taxes.

You are talking to a poster that is a union member.

They have no idea what reality is in the case of 2nd and 3rd party vendors to companies.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Let 'em try. You can bet your a$$ they won't be paying their people $56/hr + benefits. If they want to keep any profit at all they'll be hiring the cheapest help they can find. So much for solidarity!

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

And probably make less than they were because they thought they had union power and were demanding a 300% wage increase.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Maybe AOC is secretly a headchopper* and the chips are falling into place.
One of these came into our factory and people started losing their jobs over
any little thing.I lost mine for yelling at a girl and I was yelling for the boss.

*person who kills jobs

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Let 'em try. You can bet your a$$ they won't be paying their people $56/hr + benefits. If they want to keep any profit at all they'll be hiring the cheapest help they can find. So much for solidarity!

You never know. It depends on if the company wants experienced people. It cost money to train new people and sometime it's just not worth the effort to train a new crew that might not work out.... And how much is down time worth?

I once worked for a contractor and still do on occasion... and make much more than the prevailing salary..or hrly wage. Sometimes even more than my union scale.

Like they say......

You aren't paying me for what I do NOW, you are paying me for the 20 years of my education and training so your company can still show a profit by benefiting from my experience. It's not a hard concept!!!

Union proud...SAG/AFTRA and IATSE
edit on 26-11-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Actually it depends a lot more on what the going rates for electricity are and how much of any financial "benefit" solar has over traditional electricity generation. If paying solar installers $56/hr suddenly makes the solar energy option more expensive than traditional electricity, then only fools will pay this company to install solar. Since we are talking about businesses, I somehow don't think we're dealing with that many fools versus if this was a direct to consumers venture.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would never work for $56 per hour...

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Sad that such blatant exploitation and avarice is legal. The executives should be arrested.

Being a power company it should be government owned as public utility from the start with so there aren’t parasites at the top to make such decisions.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Sad that such blatant exploitation and avarice is legal. The executives should be arrested.

$56 an hour,401k plus OTHER benefits sounds like Extortion to me, and the company exec's shouldn't be arrested for having a brain.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Being a power company it should be government owned as public utility from the start with so there aren’t parasites at the top to make such decisions.

Since we are in the Pit, I find this to be the only appropriate response to such a ridiculous statement...

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
They got greedy, figured being unionised meant "cash cow"

I'm on the fence with some unions..they definitely had their place, and served a needed purpose. Now..meh.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
They got greedy, figured being unionised meant "cash cow"

I'm on the fence with some unions..they definitely had their place, and served a needed purpose. Now..meh.

Unions worked and were a smart move when things like free trade, overreaching labor and environmental regulations, and "living wage" minimum wages didn't exist in the United States. With those policies firmly entrenched, however, all unions do is add yet another reason for companies to go outside the US borders to produce their good and/or service in one of the many, many countries out there which do not over-regulate their companies and do not mandate minimum wages.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Ohanka

$56 an hour,401k plus OTHER benefits sounds like Extortion to me, and the company exec's shouldn't be arrested for having a brain.

Still a drop in the bucket compared to what their parasite overlords make a year.

Always amused when corporations and businesses say they need to "cut back" in employee benefits, employee pay and other such "non-essentials" while the bosses make 7-8 figures a year, before stock options, bonuses, golden handshakes and expenses.

Neofeudalisation is a certainly brilliant if you were born into the monied classes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join