It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The migrants had been picked up by the ship, the Ocean Viking, in three rescue operations between Tuesday and Thursday. A man and a woman who was pregnant with twins had already been taken from the ship by helicopter.
Another Spanish NGO vessel, the Open Arms, operated by an organization of the same name, is still at sea with 73 people it saved in a separate incident. It has called on EU governments to "immediately" allow the migrants to disembark, describing the situation as "critical."
The aid organizations SOS Mediterranee and Doctors Without Borders (MSF), which operate the Ocean Viking, used the occasion to call again on EU governments to coordinate a response to the "ongoing humanitarian disaster in the Mediterranean."
EU redistribution mechanism at work The Italian ministry added that the incoming migrants would be redistributed among the EU member states of Germany, France and Malta, while Italy would also take in some of them.
The collaboration between these four governments has intensified in recent weeks, after the same four nations agreed last weekend to share 213 migrants rescued by the Ocean Viking, which is operated by the SOS Mediterranee charity and Doctors Without Borders (MSF). Those migrants were taken to the port of Messina in Sicily.
Migrants say they would rather die at sea than go back to Libya, after their crowded boat capsized near Lampedusa, Italy, on Saturday.
The Italian coastguard pulled 149 people to safety but there were fears that at least two people were missing. The coastguard said the rescue, before sunset, involved four of its motorboats and two rescue divers. It took place about 2 kilometres from Lampedusa, an island south of Sicily.
Italian news agency Ansa said migrants told authorities there were 169 passengers when their boat set out.
After leaving Nigeria, the family arrived in Libya where they worked in odd jobs for two years to try to save the US$1,300 needed to pay for the crossing.
"You work for them, they don't pay the money, that's why we decided to leave Libya," Mr Owolabi said. "We can't live our life like that with my son. I just want to keep my kid safe, that's why I left.
Together we will beat the far right. Big applause for the “Sardines Against Salvini”! #IamEuropean
Tide is turning against the right wing facists Keep strong European brothers and sister
Over 213 Men, 13 Women, Three Children.
there is not a war in nigeria.
the next boat
originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: ChefFox
This time the boats don't allow the photographers to take any photos on the inside of the boat which is ironic to say the least.
It's just GDPR man. Privacy matters. Also, the deck was kinda messy.
Cue the EU.
Maybe because they are better labor units?
but has anybody ever investigated these NGO to make sure that they aren't part of the people smuggling gangs?