It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Army recruits down 41 percent since 2000

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Ok, let me shed some light on these:

if you track sociological data, you'll see that the economic gap between whites and blacks is gradually closing. The Hispanics, on the other hand, are falling behind (partly because of language barrier, large family size etc).

Now, doesn't it make sense to assume that blacks gradually become less motivated to join the force, compared to other ethnic groups such as Latinos?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Ummm, maybe it's just me, but WHO CARES if there is a drop in blacks joining the army?

I for one do NOT care what % blacks/whites/purples make up of ANYTHING.

All I care about is that the US armed forces have what they need. If that means they have to field an all white army - fine. If that means 99% is Black, fine.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Appology accepted............however, again certain "races" do have certain superior abilities in varied fields. Fact not biggotry. Why is professional Basketball and Football in the US dominated by African-Americans? Natural genetic ability..............

Who do you think you are? Seriously? Here are some facts for you. Differences in between a certain race account for 94% of differences in those people - if that doesn't make sense to you, 'racial traits' are not biological, they are practiced and preached by the people who believe they are there. The other 6% is the only figure that is actually represented as differences between races.

Racial differentiation creates racism. It is not FACT it IS bigotry what you are saying.

You can't classify someone into a race based on the color of their skin. You are crazy.

Say 'black' athlete x's biological descent group is from jaimaca, 'black' athlete y's biological descent group is from nigeria, they will NOT have the same thought process or 'phenomal athletic ability'. Racial discrimination boils down to judging and discriminating someone's thought processes and Dr. "I bought my degree" cannot even recognize these simple things...insane.

Speaking about "superior abilities " if you want to be so damn racist, explain why a professional basketball player is from Asia?

Most professional 'black' athletes or 'minority' athletes are professional players because that is all they had to rely on growing up, most of them came from ghettos. There are exceptions to this of course.

personal question:
Where do you live now? Where did you grow up?

Edit: Dr...why do almost all of your threads/forums deal with you casting your judgement on minorites or you advocating that they are taking away from you? AKA your "different approach to public school" thread?

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Aether]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aether

Racial differentiation creates racism. It is not FACT it IS bigotry what you are saying.

You can't classify someone into a race based on the color of their skin. You are crazy.

Dr. "I bought my degree" cannot even recognize these simple things...insane.

Speaking about "superior abilities " if you want to be so damn racist, explain why a professional basketball player is from Asia?

Most professional 'black' athletes or 'minority' athletes are professional players because that is all they had to rely on growing up, most of them came from ghettos. There are exceptions to this of course.

personal question:

Edit: Dr...why do almost all of your threads/forums deal with you casting your judgement on minorites or you advocating that they are taking away from you? AKA your "different approach to public school" thread?

Well where to begin,

Point one - the actual muscle tissue of "african's" is difference from other "races" making natural athletic ability possible. Stop reacting, research the FACTS and learn something.....

Point two - just how many "asian" pro basketball players are there compared to "african's"? Ever heard of HGH?

Point three - the "no other way out" of the ghetto is pretty pathetic "put down" of the intellegence of the so called "poor". "To stupid" to do anything except play sports? talk about racisim......

Point four - African americans do not "Own" the word "minority" it has actual meaning look it up..........

Point five - I grew up in the south, was educated in the north (Boston) actually, and have traveled the planet extensively. So no I am not some southern "redneck" with a confederate flag on my pick-up truck and a gun in the rear window. More liberal biggotry there dude?

Point six - if you think I am 'attacking" minorities you are blinded by your own "racisim". The school thing is about "values" vs "secularisim" it has nothing to do with "race" unless "you" put it there......

Point seven - My personal education is a point of personal pride and acheivement and I will not accept childish attacks. I worked my way through school from age 16 and have 2 Phd's. Did a tour in cambodia in the Marines, was an f-ing POW in a bamboo cage just like in the movies .....I F-ing earned my way here. I went to the best schools on the planet and paid my own way. Didn't even take a single dime from the VA. Perhaps you should take your own 'University of Crayon Technology" diploma off the wall and ask mommy and daddy if you can have a real one.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Whether all of that is true or not. You are on the internet. People don't tend to give a crap about the perceived "background" of others, and will take such with a cup of salt. As they should.

But then, you should know this. And should also agree.

On the flip side, however, you succeed in coming across as a complete wanker regardless of your "background". At least Grady has the foresight to be relatively polite when making an effort to lend credence.

In short, don't ever find yourself under the assumption that your internet presence means more to others than theirs does to you.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by cargo]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Whether all of that is true or not. You are on the internet. People don't tend to give a crap about the perceived "background" of others, and will take such with a cup of salt. As they should.

But then, you should know this. And should also agree.

On the flip side, however, you succeed in coming across as a complete wanker regardless of your "background". At least Grady has the foresight to be relatively polite when making an effort to lend credence.

In short, don't ever find yourself under the assumption that your internet presence means more to others than theirs does to you.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by cargo]

Perhaps a "mirror" is in order there Fedex boy..........You should ask yourself why "you" think it was so important to provide "your" opinion, it has nothing to do with the subject.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Ok, let me shed some light on these:

if you track sociological data, you'll see that the economic gap between whites and blacks is gradually closing. The Hispanics, on the other hand, are falling behind (partly because of language barrier, large family size etc).

Now, doesn't it make sense to assume that blacks gradually become less motivated to join the force, compared to other ethnic groups such as Latinos?

That's a good point.
And for others so inclined let's discuss the article and not waste another pixel on Horacid's incredulous "conclusions."

The article itself (posted again for the benefit of lazy people that didn't read it the first time) cites numerous potential sources for the drop from the speculation of influential black leader's to actual polls among black youths conducted by the branches themselves. That we should merely dismiss the stated reasons from black youth is frankly beyond me.

Another Army-directed poll, the U.S. Military Image Study, is posted on a Defense Contracting Command Web site - likely by mistake. The study was based on interviews with 3,236 people ages 16 to 24. Its report read, "Recruiting an all-volunteer Army in times of war is increasingly difficult."

Money for college remains a big motivator to enlist, but the Iraq war leaves youth - particularly black youth - conflicted. "More African-Americans identify having to fight for a cause they don't support as a barrier to military service," the report read.

Fear of being killed or injured was the top reason to avoid service for 26 percent of youth in 2004, almost double the 14 percent reported in 2000.

Poll data also show that more black parents, particularly mothers, worry that their children could be killed or injured in the war.

There's so much good info in this article, it's hard to pick a point so again I encourage posters to read it before responding.

From my own take I'm glad to see enrollment in the Army more representative of the nation.

Because black youths are 14 percent of all recruit-age youth, their recruiting numbers remain "acceptable," i.e., proportional to black citizens in U.S. society, Rochelle said. But the steep general drop in black recruits does hurt plans "to grow the Army," he conceded. Congress has ordered a 30,000 increase in the number of active-duty soldiers by October 2009.

Whether that means white youths have less job and education opportunites now or blacks have more I'd consider a wash, but the fact our grunts are no longer disproportionally black can only be considered a good thing.

One more comment on the Marines dropping racial data in 2003.
Sorry, but I have to laugh. The ad agency charged with all their recruitment communications was my client for years. Aside from their big tracker, I did all the ad hoc image research for the Marines targeting black youth. They couldn't begin to meet anything close to representative recruitment to save their necks. Looks like they quit trying.

I suppose the only thing keeping the Marines from being the unofficial "white branch" of the armed forces now, is the decrease in black enrollment in the Army. But really it was always too high anyway.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Whether that means white youths have less job and education opportunites now or blacks have more I'd consider a wash, but the fact our grunts are no longer disproportionally black can only be considered a good thing.

I suppose the only thing keeping the Marines from being the unofficial "white branch" of the armed forces now, is the decrease in black enrollment in the Army. But really it was always too high anyway.

I completely agree..............................................

The US military should be diverse and completely Politically Correct. It should only be made up of the EXACT percentage of each ethnic group. We don't need people that want to be warriors and actually win wars do we.........

[edit on 10-3-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Perhaps a "mirror" is in order there Fedex boy..........You should ask yourself why "you" think it was so important to provide "your" opinion, it has nothing to do with the subject.

Opinion is very much wanted on this here internet forum. Rather, your own inner dialogue should explore whether it is relevant that the provision of your "credentials" here somehow "prove" that your opinion matters.

Or anybody elses for that matter. No?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Opinion is very much wanted on this here internet forum. Rather, your own inner dialogue should explore whether it is relevant that the provision of your "credentials" here somehow "prove" that your opinion matters.

Or anybody elses for that matter. No?

My opinion ? vs credentials? On this forum my "opinion" matters only as much as the next poster. I was reponding to an 'attack" nothing more.

Get over "yourself" there UPS guy.........

Let me help you get started......it is relevant what the ethnic make-up of the military is?

Now can you repond to the issue?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I agree with you Dr. Horacid, that it is'nt relevant at all.
It would be wrong for the military to think they can depend on
a certain number of a "certain group" of people to be recruited.

I did'nt know that the military even kept up with that kind of
thing.
I do think that's actually very rascist.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Everyone can relax. All is well. If you actually read the article (Thanks RANT) then you'll see that the ratio of new blacks in the military ( 13.9%) is almost equal to the ratio of blacks eligible for enlistment (14%). The trend down wards simply reflects that in the past a larger than average amount of blacks saw the military as a good option for getting up on their feet and off to a running start after high school.

If anything this reflects the position of black leaders who mostly oppose the war in Iraq. As stated in the source article, teachers, pastors, and other group leaders are discouraging them from joining and doing their youth a great disservice. The army is offering bonuses up to $20,000 in addition to up to $36,000 in GI Bill incentives. It's a great program if you come from a background where your parents can't support your college efforts. I'm speaking from personal experience here. I was at basic training 3 days after I graduated high school, and the GI Bill paid for almost all my college tuition and books.

What black leaders are failing to tell their youth is that joining the military doesn't mean you'll be in a combat position. Blacks only make up 10.6% of the army's infantry, 5% of the Green Berets, 2.5% of navy pilots, and only 2% of air force pilots. The odds of getting a combat wound while servicing an air conditioner are pretty low, (What I did for 4 months in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm) and doesn't make you any less of a person. In taking their moral stance (black leaders), they are overlooking the damage it does to their cause. The damage it does to the future of their youth.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
wasn't there a piece on one of the nightly news sources or 60 minutes regarding this, and furthermore the recruiting process? I saw a segment of it and was disgusted with the types of promises these recuiters made to potential soldiers.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by livinlife
wasn't there a piece on one of the nightly news sources or 60 minutes regarding this, and furthermore the recruiting process? I saw a segment of it and was disgusted with the types of promises these recuiters made to potential soldiers.

If you are watching 60 minute you should be disgusted. There is not doubt it was slanted.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This happens all the time. It isn't white prejudice anymore it is Negro and Jew prejudice today. They start threads like this because they are mad at America for no real reason. It is white guilt that is the reason why thjey tolerate this poor behaviour from these people. Blacks in the military? So what if they rather stay home with mom until she's 60. I am a person of color myself but these issues are stupid. We are all created equal, but 2 sects of us do nothing but complain AALL the time.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Explain again how you think certain races have certain intrinsic abilities i.e. one race is good at sports, one arts, etc.
How is that not bigotry? To assume that, based on ones skin pigment, or the slant of the eyes, they will be more pre-dispositioned toward certain behaviour? It seems a bit hypocritical of you to carry the banner of equality. Unless I have misunderstood your belief of eugenics, then I apologize.

Appology accepted............however, again certain "races" do have certain superior abilities in varied fields. Fact not biggotry. Why is professional Basketball and Football in the US dominated by African-Americans? Natural genetic ability..............

Blacks are not superior in athletics over whites. That they have dominated Basketball is a social effect, and nothing more. Let's take sports, one by one, starting with basketball:

Basketball's greatest player?
Michael Jordan, a black.

2nd greatest? Ervin 'Magic' Johson.

3rd greatest? Larry Bird!

The USA 'dream team' has lost by Yugoslavia and Argentina multiple times in the last few years...how's that for the 'black superiority'?

What's the best players for Phoenix Suns? Steve Nash, whom without Suns lost 11 games in a row!

Who was one of the two best players of Utah in the last 20 years and considered one of the best play makers ever? John Stockton, a white.

The 1996 slam dunk contest was won by a ...white that jumped from the ...free throw line, ala Michael Jordan! a white! Bred Barry it was, if I recall correctly.

Who's the most incredible player ever witnessed on courts? the one that even Magic Johnson admits that he stole tricks from? It's

Pete Maravic! yes, a white!

Maravic scored the most points in average in college, and was first in assists...and more importantly, he was the first player to do dazzling tricks with the ball and the first truly magic player!

Let's go over to other sports.

Let's take soccer, the most popular sport on the planet. Who's the greatest? Diego Maradona, an argentinian white.

Who's the greatest in swimming? Mark Spits, a white.

Who's the greatest in tennis? A scandinavian white, Bjorn Borg.

Who's the greatest in Volleyball? Karch Kiraly, a white.

Who's the greatest in weight lifting? Piros Dimas, a Greek white.

Who's the greatest in pole vault? Sergei Bubka, a caucasian white.

Who's the greatest in formula 1? Michael Schumacher, a german white.

best in gymnastics? a white.

best in martial arts? a chinese.

best cyclist? a white.

Table tennis? a chinese.

etc etc etc

And if we go to women, we have many more white people there dominating sports.

Sure, there are some sports that are dominated by blacks, but merely because their social environments help them in their sports. For example, 3000, 5000 and 10000 meters are repeately won by athletes from North and middle Africa. American blacks never win these races. Why? Is it a coincidence? or is it because the poor kids from Maroco and Aithiopia are used to running (even barefoot) in order to do their everyday life stuff?

You know why blacks dominate certain sports? because they begin from lower levels of society and are more open to accept the drugs needed to become a super athlete. Look at athletes like Moris Green. They are almost deformed by drugs.

The biggest scandal of the last Olympics was the former 200 m winner Greek Konstantinos Kenteris. You know why? because he dared win a race that was a USA show. And he made it because of the extraordinaire drugs his coach fed him.

If blacks were so much better in sports, especially physical, why don't they dominate swimming, for example, or other sports that only physical superiority is needed?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aether

Who do you think you are? Seriously? Here are some facts for you. Differences in between a certain race account for 94% of differences in those people - if that doesn't make sense to you, 'racial traits' are not biological, they are practiced and preached by the people who believe they are there. The other 6% is the only figure that is actually represented as differences between races.

Say 'black' athlete x's biological descent group is from jaimaca, 'black' athlete y's biological descent group is from nigeria, they will NOT have the same thought process or 'phenomal athletic ability'. Racial discrimination boils down to judging and discriminating someone's thought processes and Dr. "I bought my degree" cannot even recognize these simple things...insane.

personal question:

Black people are better at certain sports this is partly due to increased bone density which can help in boxing, bodybuilding, sprinting and a few other sports. It is not racist at all and i am not racist either i just draw my conclusions from the data which is available and accurate, do not be be so ignorant as to totally deny any differences between races.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
@ MasterP

I am not going to respond to everything you have said, but rest assured, just about everything you said is at least partially incorrect or leaves out important facts.

For instance - Larry Bird the third greatest NBA player ever? PLEASE. Try:

1) Wilt Chamberlin.
2) MJ
3) Bill Russel
4) Oscar Robertson
5) Magic
6) could be a number of guys over Larry like Dr J, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and even Shaq.

All of those 5 players are CLEARLY and UNDENIABLY better players then the very greatest white player. The social theory is bunk - just about every white kid plays basket ball when they are young, and the most athletic white kids play it their whole lives, because basketball is a game where athletic prowess dominates the most.

The FACT is that blacks DO have more fast twitch muscle fibers. You can not argue that - it is documented scientific fact. That DOES make you a better basket ball player because it is these fibers which allow for explosive movements, change of direction, and jumping ability - all of which are the most important athletic traits of a basketball and football players.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
>If you are watching 60 minute you should be disgusted. There is not doubt it was slanted.

Dr. -appreciate your concern, but no worries, I watch and read many different sources out there

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I do believe that DNA does determine ones potential. Some races are just prone to crime and immorality. don't buy this 50/50 crap the media pump's out it's all distortion from the truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join