It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone care to help me with a poll for my college class

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Evening everybody. It's been quite a long time since I've posted on ATS. So I'll cut to the chase:

I'm in my final semester of school in a political behavior class. As one of our last assignments, we have to create a poll about a political topic then write an analysis of it. Of course the professor doesn't expect it to be a gigantic thing - the assignment only requires 25 total responses. It's just an exercise. Anyway, as per usual, my school is quite left wing, and my professor is as well. Although, refreshingly, she is not an absolute bleeding heart. To her, being more left wing is something of a reaction to her more religious upbringing. She isn't hostile to right wing ideas (I have been very open about it this entire semester and never been shamed or felt like my grade was at risk because of it). So, I've decided to create a poll about firearms.

Often times, we hear very broad claims from gallup, pew, etc, that "65% of Americans support stricter background checks" or "Americans agree gun violence is an issue", etc. But oftentimes, the nuance behind these results is completely absent. For example: I personally am not opposed to background checks even on private gun sales. (Maybe not as a legal requirement, but in a manner that doing so absolves the seller of all civil and legal guilt if the person they are selling to commits a crime with said gun - but that's besides the point of this topic). I made a short poll that is meant to somewhat gauge how firearm owners feel about new regulations, and how they feel about legit compromise (and I'm not talking about the DNC's version of "compromise" where letting us keep 5 round bolt action rifles is the definition of being "pro 2a")

The poll is pointed and slanted politically. That is by design. It calls out left wing politicians several times and that is because left wing politicians are the opposing force of gun ownership. Also, the free account on surveymonkey only allows for 10 total questions. So there's that.
I will link the poll, but the first question asks if you own an assault rifle. No, this isn't data mining. I picked that question because people who are likely to own assault rifles are much more personally invested in firearm ownership than your average guy who just owns a pistol for home defense and doesn't shoot very often. Someone like that is going to be much more willing to compromise (at least, I personally feel) than someone who owns an assault rifle. It is a part of my analysis.

Mods, apologies in advance if this is against forum rules. That is not the intent. If it is against them, go ahead and delete. Thank you everyone in advance for your participation if you choose to assist me in this assignment.

www.surveymonkey.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

I'd like to help but there's no way I'm answering those questions.
Not in these days we're living in.
Good Luck!

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Thanks. I don't hold it against you. I expected a lot of people would be hesitant to answer, especially in the firearm community what with EROs and Red flag laws, etc. Appreciate the response though

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I'd be glad to help.

First: Define assault rifle ... (you friggin' lef...)

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Guess what?
You just became a data point.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Ditto.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Done, u may want to clarify the Last question.
Is 1 being the most and 7 being the least?
Cuz that's what I figured.
I chose 1 being the worst and chose mental health

It doesnt ask for any info...do it in a private window or spoof ur mac and ip....
edit on 11/24/2019 by neomaximus10 because: Blah

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Ditto.

That's fine. You don't see me running to the Mods bellyaching about this sham do ya?

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Basically what the question describes it as. Think to yourself what the media calls an "assault rifle". Do you own a rifle that would be called that? I'm not anti-gun. If you don't like the term "assault rifle", use the more appropriate term modern sporting rifle.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neomaximus10

You interpreted correctly. 1 is the most, 7 the least.

Thanks fren

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes, but a very vague one.

Or, maybe not! Eeek.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Got 9 responses already folks. Thank you all. I know it's a small number, but this is actually kind of exciting, haha. I haven't really done any "projects" like this before.

Keep em coming if you can!

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Have you considered or taken into account "trolling the polling" activity"? The act of giving the pollster the answers they want to hear all to skew and invalidate the results.

I know many that did that in 2016 when polled about voting for Hillary Clinton, when they were really planning to actually vote for Trump.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I responded, glad to help.

Remember the three R's of firearm ownership:

Responsibility. You and you alone are responsible for owning your firearm(s). Maintenance, safety and storage of your arms should be tantamount to firearms ownership.

Respect: Know your firearm's capabilities, know the laws that go with responsible carry and ownership. No matter how angry you may get, only use your weapon as a last defense option. Always try to walk away from a fight, don't let yourself be cornered.

Reality: Always remember that once that bullet leaves the barrel, you cannot call it back...

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   
have you ever checked out 10-20-Life laws of CA or FL

You might find theme interesting

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

This is a very elementary exercise for a gen-ed level college class that we've only been given 3 weeks to do. I could have started it then, but working full time and going to school full time and preparing to move one month after graduation kinda put a dent in that.

I largely know what kind of answers to expect, but it was fun putting in some ideas I don't see thrown aroudn very often as compromise.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Yes I've heard of 3 strikes law. I'm a CJ major. But 3 strikes laws don't have to include use of a firearm

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I did not answer all your questions because they were worded ambiguously. Perhaps intentionally so.

Your statistical analysis should account for this.

edit on 11/24/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'll do my best. Thanks for the response.

I wish I could have included more questions into the poll. But I'm neither inclined to, nor able to spend money for a basic school project for something I'm likely never gonna use again. I threw the poll together during my slow time at work today because the paper is due on Tuesday. If I had another full day, I'd be able to put together a higher quality poll.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I can relate.
It's been a very long time, but I can relate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join