It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The outdated M4 carbine and M-16 why is our military still using them?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

There is some really good AK ammo out there.

Unfortunately the m43 round most jihadis and redneck stock is definitely not one of them. Unless you hit bone it tends to go straight through a person... Terminal ballistics is my weak point though but from what I understand this is exactly what one would expect the round to do due to its specific design.

The Russians corrected the hell outta this though when designing the 5.45 round which is crazy nasty just like our newer rounds.

My understanding is that this is due to a combination of higher striking velocities, higher length to diameter ratio / "fineness" ratio / g7 BC's less than 1.0, and one or more tricks in projectile construction.

All of these things can and have been applied to 7.62x39 ammo by various manufacturers etc but the m43 lacks any of them and is by FAR the most common ak round by a huge margin.

Interesting stuff though.

I'm actually thinking of doing a dedicated suppressor host AR pistol meant for almost exclusive subsonic 7.62x39 use as a toy currently. Because 7.62 is 300 blowout for people with more sense than money.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join