It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a "right" was to tell a LEO that you're armed?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Definitely do not do anything that guy does. And yes, he’s entirely serious. And yes, so am I.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

You never speak to a Leo without representation present if you are smart. If you must you ask if you are being detained. I'm done cases and localities you are required by law to inform Leo that you are carrying concealed immediately upon contact.

It before you to know the laws in the areas you are carrying.

Jaden

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
My advice increases someone’s chances of living .

You assume.

In states where it isn't required how do you know it wont put the person on edge? Rhetorical, you don't.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Exactly, especially someone who might already be nervous. You don't walk up to a stranger and tell them you're armed for the same reason. You divulge this information only when there's a 'need to know'.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I have a C.C.W. and I'm required by Ohio law to tell
a police officer I have it.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kimjongskill

If you get pulled over, I would hand the officer your concealed carry card along with your driver licence and insurance.

yes, a LEO stops you, and you reach for your gun. That's going to end well.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   

We’re not talking about persons we’re talking about cops .

So I’m playing the odds and erring on the side of caution .

In case you didn’t know cops don’t like surprises.

Especially when they are guns .
edit on 25-11-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Exactly, especially someone who might already be nervous. You don't walk up to a stranger and tell them you're armed for the same reason. You divulge this information only when there's a 'need to know'.

I just pull a Johnny Ringo from Tombstone and start twirling them with great flair, police always find this reassuring.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 03:58 AM
link   

We’re not talking about persons we’re talking about cops .

I'm especially talking about cops, if you aren't required to tell them anything keep your mouth shut. Too many hotdogs out there that couldn't pass a criminal justice course and have chips on their shoulders.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   

OK your way is much safer and far less likely to escalate things .

But if you’re ever in that situation and God for bid and you get shot.

Just before the lights go out remember these four words .

“ I told you so “

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

And that's the law, so you should follow it. I would do the same. I personally don't agree with that law, but it's the law for better or worse. In this case, a LEO in Ohio will be expecting you to disclose such information, hence it won't/shouldn't be much of a surprise.

This, contrasted with other states which don't have such a legal requirement. In those cases, announcing the fact that you are armed to an LEO for no apparent reason may be perceived as a danger, or even worse a threat.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

So let's go with your line of thinking for a moment, and walk through the scenario...

You get pulled over. Cop walks up to your window and the first thing you tell him/her is you are armed. Now, every move you make is going to be eyed with suspicion as you might be going for your gun. The minute you utter these words the LEO is going to put his hand on his own firearm, and likely unclasp his holster.

Why? Because, regardless of what you think, you just told him...you have a gun, and you're just letting him know in case he happens to get shot by it. There's probably a 50% chance he's going to want to see said gun, and then what are you going to do? Are you going to produce said weapon? And, how can you even suggest this doesn't escalate the situation almost exponentially within a matter of seconds??? The LEO doesn't know you from Adam, he has zero experience with you, he has no idea about your demeanor or your reasons for telling him this. All he knows is the very first interaction he had with you was you telling him you have a gun, that's it.

Please explain, how is this reducing the risk of the encounter???? Furthermore, much like the LEO doesn't know anything about you, equally you don't know anything about the LEO. For all you know he might have just gotten done with dealing with an armed robbery suspect fleeing in a vehicle, and before that his wife told him she was leaving him and taking the kids that morning. He might be looking for an armed suspect who's car matches your car's description. He might be fed up with his job, hungover and looking for a fight. He might be a million things, but you don't know, yet the first thing you're going to tell him is...you've got a gun.

As I've noted earlier, just because you are armed doesn't mean you should act any differently than you would otherwise. Would you normally walk around and tell everyone you encountered that you were armed? Of course not; then why do you feel compelled to do so when you encounter an LEO? Unless he pulled you over with the specific intent of determining if you are armed, then why mention it? If he pulled you over for a broken headlight, would you start talking about your muffler needing to be replaced, or your engine needing a tune up?
edit on 11/25/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The OP said if a cop approaches you and something went on in the area .

Mufflers don’t shoot bullets .

The minute you utter these words the LEO is going to put his hand on his own firearm, and likely unclasp his holster.

And if you don’t tell the cop then he sees your weapon. Before you think about him putting his hand on his holster. He’s going to have his gun pointed at your face . Accidental discharge is all it would take .

There is absolutely zero doubt that if a cop is surprised by gun . He’s going to pull his weapon and aim it at you. The least likely course of dying is to prevent that .

It’s common sense.

But everybody can do whatever the hell they want .

I said it in my first reply “ bullets don’t care about your rights “

edit on 25-11-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

But if you’re ever in that situation and God for bid and you get shot.

Likelihood is zero point zero.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join