It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cotija Cheese / Queso Cotija???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Cotija Cheese; Have you ever had this stuff? OMG is this cheese GOOD!!!

I'd never had it before the other day. The wife bought some. I think I could eat a whole wheel of this stuff!!

Well, maybe I've had it before and didn't realize what it was, but wow!

It's like a cross between a Feta and a Parmesian. It's not hard like parm, but it's not wet like Feta and it crumbles kind of like Feta and Parm combined.

It's a Mexican cheese. The brand the wife got is "Cacique", and it's the BOMB!

Everybody's heard of Queso Fresco and Manchego, but this stuff I never knew about. As I look it up, I see it's pretty popular so I'm probably just behind on my Mexican cheeses. In any case, if you've never tried this stuff then drop what you're doing right this second and go to the store and get some!! It's that important!

**Nom...nom...nom**

edit on 11/21/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
FCD,

Have you ever been to Sedona, AZ? There is a restaurant there called Elote Cafe. It’s by far the most popular restaurant in Sedona. I describe it as Mexican food with a gourmet twist. Basically, food that most people have never had before. The owner / Chef Jeff Smedstad has multiple cook books and the restaurant has aired on the Food and Cooking networks many time. He uses a lot of Cotija cheese in his dishes. His signature appetizer dish is called the Elote. It’s a warm corn salsa with lots of cotija cheese. Okay, now I’m hungry.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

I haven't, but I'm going to check him out now!

May even have to plan a trip to Sedona!

It really is that good!

Holy Mackerel!

ETA - looking up corn salsa with cotija chees now! Sounds GREAT!

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Mix it 50/50 with shredded cheader for tacos

I get mine straight from el Salvador

Probably toss out more than we eat

Also it's a really easy cheese to make iv never made it that far it get devoured when still fresco

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Cotija Cheese; Have you ever had this stuff? OMG is this cheese GOOD!!!

I'd never had it before the other day. The wife bought some. I think I could eat a whole wheel of this stuff!! ...

I live in Sonora. We keep a chunk in the fridge and I usually have a small airtight container filled with it grated.

I refuse to buy that Parmesan crap they sell in the plastic bottles. It's mostly just sawdust (cellulose fiber). Supposedly that's an "anti-caking agent" to keep it from clumping, but anybody with two brain cells knows it's just a filler. We use grated cotija over pastas and such, like you would use Parmesan.

Good stuff.

There are many locally produced cheeses here, as well. I recently found a family right off one of my bicycle routes that makes some of the best queso fesco I've ever had, and their asadero with chiltipín ain't bad, either.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
FCD,

Have you ever been to Sedona, AZ? There is a restaurant there called Elote Cafe. It’s by far the most popular restaurant in Sedona. I describe it as Mexican food with a gourmet twist. Basically, food that most people have never had before. The owner / Chef Jeff Smedstad has multiple cook books and the restaurant has aired on the Food and Cooking networks many time. He uses a lot of Cotija cheese in his dishes. His signature appetizer dish is called the Elote. It’s a warm corn salsa with lots of cotija cheese. Okay, now I’m hungry.

Just checked Elote Cafe's website and had a look at their food pics. Wow... that looks gooood!

soulwaxer

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Abuelita sprinkled it on frijoles, on soups and my dad would make avocado and cheese sandwiches with bolillos - Mexican bread rolls, or with french bread, to take to the ball game. mmm Queso de Oaxaxa it yummy, too...my grandmother was smuggling it into the country in her coat sleeves in the 70s - just for the family

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I am a cheese fiend.
We have a local fromager here.
I’ll pop in there when I get back to town and grab some if he has it.

Never heard of it before.
But I’m digging the vibes I’m getting.
See how well it goes with a triscut.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
If it's the stuff I think it is, it has a texture like Fresco and isn't an easy melting cheese but it tastes awesome

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

YAY, KETSUKO!!!!

Typing with her left hand and all!!

Hope you're doing well, girl!

Cheese is a good comfort food!!

Just don't take it with too many pain killers because, well, it'll stop you up...and you'll blow some "O" rings! LOL!

How you doing???

new topics

top topics

join