It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost all US mass shooters since 1966 have four things in common: Childhood trauma, a personal cris

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This study is absurd and has a blatant agenda driven bias. It's all right there in their conclusion:

"...since 1966 found that the shooters typically have an experience with childhood trauma, a personal crisis or specific grievance, and a “script” or examples that validate their feelings or provide a roadmap. And then there’s the fourth thing: access to a firearm."

They literally just described the majority of the population and then added access to a firearm with designs on getting the reader to think, "Wow, this could really be anybody. The only option is to remove the one variable we can control -- the firearm".

Zero mention of the increasing ideological controls put on behavior and society, the prevalent surveillance state, building our schools like prisons, the insane over-controlling and monitoring of young people's lives the misguidance in how we handle young male aggressiveness and rambunctiousness in that we attempt to suppress it instead of channeling it into positive activities, etc. I could go on forever about all the data points they didn't address that go much deeper into explaining why this phenomena is actually occurring instead of simply saying, "young, white, male, gun". To think people actually call this science.

Ironically enough, the time has come to pray for science. It spent countless years fending off the oppression of religion just to fall into the oppressive hands of ideology.

Analyzing your favored few data points is utterly useless unless you're willing to take a look at the larger picture. Unfortunately, so many today either can't or won't. Just more control! We need more control! And the cycle continues as befuddlement adorns their stupid faces.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Who here has not experienced childhood trauma, and personal crisis?

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: Kurokage

I wonder why they didn't add another data point... the shooter's current prescriptions.

Or would that just bring up a topic that we are supposed to ignore?

Psychotropic meds are not on that list?

Let me find my shocked face.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
LOL. Its funny. We all apparently want to help people who suffer from mental illness, and pay lots of lip service to it and make sure everyone KNOWS just how much WE care. Yet all I see, is either lots of cliques helping themselves and ignoring those that dont fit in it or lots of demonizing because the masses now see it as a problem(until they dont after a week goes by) or total apathy and ignore. Ban away then, because you will NEVER rid the world of humans, and humans ARE the root cause of all problems on this planet.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm always bemused by these people that think they are being academics when they say these intellectually lazy and myopic things like, "To prevent mass shootings we need to get rid of things that shoot." No doi. Only problem is, you didn't address the cause for why this is happening in our society and specifically to our young people. You simply compartmentalized it and made it into something more undefinable merely for your own ideological and psychological need for control. Thanks, real helpful.

History is mighty clear that humankind will never stop thinking of new ways to kill our fellow human beings. Go ahead and get rid of guns. I don't really care. I'm not a gun guy. Don't like them, never have. The problem is that the broken people will remain and they will modify their methods and adapt just as nature always has. All guns are really doing is shining a big, bright light on a problem that you don't want to address or even think about. And the reason you don't want to confront it is because you are part of the problem. We all are. Society is sick and we are society.
edit on 21-11-2019 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

Mass shooters in the US have been found to have four commonalities, according to a new government study which has redefined the profile of killers as violence has escalated in the US over the past half century....

The project includes a database of mass shootings involving four or more victims, which is the FBI benchmark for a 'mass murder', and uses the 1966 University of Texas massacre as a starting point...…

The study noted hate on the rise with shooters motivated by racism, religious hate, and misogyny increasing since the 1960s, especially in the last five years....

'Data is data,' says Jillian Peterson, a psychologist at Hamline University and co-author of the study, VICE reports. 'Data isn't political.

Almost all US mass shooters since 1966 have four things in common: Childhood trauma, a personal crisis, examples that validate their feelings, and access to a firearm .

I have just come across this small article and found it a very interesting read.

It was interesting and the data grouping is also interesting.

I checked the story to find sources. The researchers are criminology professors. Here's the original project with the database: www.theviolenceproject.org...

There's more information on some of the written material they reviewed in this story: www.latimes.com...

A snippet from that article highlights some interesting (and I think obvious) points

Third, most of the shooters had studied the actions of other shooters and sought validation for their motives. People in crisis have always existed. But in the age of 24-hour rolling news and social media, there are scripts to follow that promise notoriety in death. Societal fear and fascination with mass shootings partly drives the motivation to commit them. Hence, as we have seen in the last week, mass shootings tend to come in clusters. They are socially contagious.

I had "sort of" noticed it, or come to expect it when I see reports of mass shootings but had never actually stopped to consider it as a paradigm in these occurrences.

What's interesting is that it doesn't bleed over into other nations. These same factors are at play in other societies; they're hardly unique to us.

It looks like a reasonably solid study.

A number of years ago we had an ATS member who shot and killed several people, and he certainly fit the profile they mention in the articles.
edit on 21-11-2019 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I wonder why they didn't add another data point... the shooter's current prescriptions.

Psychotropic meds are not on that list?

Let me find my shocked face.

Actually, they probably are (the database is much larger and more detailed). But there was no correlation there with medications and actions in the 171 cases that they logged (in other words, some people aren't on meds, and there's no one set of meds or type of meds that shows up in a significant number of cases.)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'd be looking at all the psychologists in the country who've ''helped'' the shooters.

Sirhan Sirhan is more than just a a piece of history. All the answers lay in what he did and why he did it.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I just came across an interesting article on Reddit with an image illustrating gun deaths in homicide vs suicide. I'm sure none of us I mean most of us aren't surprised that the suicides are more common.

www.reddit.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

When destruction of the family unit, empathy, and cooperation enter into the discussion...

Hit me back. The answer is in the above.

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Byrd

A study already done on the topic.

As a scientist, I'm not really convinced by that paper. There's no methodology shown and as far as I can tell, the way they determined this was "go through newspaper reports." It's a collection of anecdotes.

What is missing is what the study that fronted this discussion has: a database of clear examples with clearly set parameters and a concise statement of causes.

The fronted study identifies "shooters, multiple people killed" and the parameters are pretty clear cut. This study also divides them into age cohorts and examines other factors and you can clearly see an association.

The paper you offered simply says "violent acts" and doesn't categorize them (so it's not comparing apples to apples) and (rather shockingly) doesn't cite any actual clinical studies. Murderers are lumped in with "suicide by cop" cases a well as assault and other forms of violence. A negative point in my mind is that the link you gave was to "PRWIRE"; a service where you can release anything you like as "news" as long as you pay a fee to the service (which then distributes your story.)

I'm not dismissing a correlation between individuals and drugs... but it's not a hard-and-fast connection (there are quite literally millions of people (including my husband) on these drugs and the end result is that they're a lot LESS violent and volatile. I also agree that there's overmedication and misdiagnosis.

But...

Those weren't present to any statistical degree in the mass shooter cases (which are the only ones under review in the article.)

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

And even then, the percentages of all the reasons listed are single digit percentages.

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I read your article. And I noticed you didn't take the time to include a couple of things because it would be in the way of blaming whitey.

"There were 75 mass shootings between 1966 and 2000, of which 9 per cent were motivated by racism, 1 per cent by religious hatred and 7 per cent by misogyny.

By comparison, of 32 mass shootings that happened in the US since 2015, 18 per cent were motivated by racism, 15 per cent by religious hatred and 21 per cent by misogyny.
"

Because actual racially motivated mass shootings get thousands of hours of front page and top of the hour headlines, this one should be easy to find, but all I can find is Dylann Roof. So what are the other 5 mass shootings? Where are the 7 mass shootings that motivated by misogyny? 5 mass shootings motivated by religion but I can only remember the muslim who shot up that gay club in Orlando. How about all the anti-religious people that have been shooting up churches? I don't see a single thing about those in there and I would think those have increased dramatically since 2000.

I guarantee you that you didn't research any of this. You read it, raced to ATS to post it, and never looked back. I mean, who needs to research for facts when some lughead simple-minded pea brain already put it all together for you in one big article?

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: squittles

Speak for yourself, I don't.

Bingo. But we were always taught how to deal with a personal crisis and childhood trauma without involving a firearm. I think the issue is much more related to the current nanny state of this country. And imagine that, the stats have increased since 2000 when the nanny state essentially started.

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

It comes to something when out of all the response to this thread (yours is typical), only one member Byrd took the time to actually go to the "Violence Project" website and read the actual database!!

of blaming whitey.

I'm white, what on earth has that got to do with the article, it doesn't point a finger at "whitey". You should maybe take a look at yourself if that's what you take from the article?!

who needs to research for facts when some lughead simple-minded pea brain already put it all together for you in one big article?

And you'd rather just respond negatively to the poster because it doesn't fit with your viewpoint and not bother reading the database at all, pea brain is accurate.
I read the article and I looked over the violence project website. My first thought was people on ATS might find this interesting because this type of thread only usually appears after a shooting and is always politically charged. I admit I forgot to add a link to the violence project database in my opening post but Byrd was intelligent enough to find and look at the information.
I'm British (we tend not to suffer from the lone mass shooter here) so I thought I'd post the article and read the responses from American members as they are the ones who might find the information more interesting and reply if asked a question pertinent to me. Happy thanksgiving.
The Violence Project.

edit on 22-11-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Big Pharma would like to gift you so money if you could kindly stfu. :p

Serotonin eh?

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Thanks for the reply and posting a link.

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I read your article. And I noticed you didn't take the time to include a couple of things because it would be in the way of blaming whitey.

"There were 75 mass shootings between 1966 and 2000, of which 9 per cent were motivated by racism, 1 per cent by religious hatred and 7 per cent by misogyny.

By comparison, of 32 mass shootings that happened in the US since 2015, 18 per cent were motivated by racism, 15 per cent by religious hatred and 21 per cent by misogyny.
"

Because actual racially motivated mass shootings get thousands of hours of front page and top of the hour headlines, this one should be easy to find, but all I can find is Dylann Roof. So what are the other 5 mass shootings?

This is why you go to the original source of the information... which was actually linked in the article. I found the study with just a few clicks of the mouse.

The data you're asking about is here. The summary plus data points are available to the public. You can have access to the full database via an email request: www.theviolenceproject.org...

I guarantee you that you didn't research any of this.

It's true. Our poster is not one of the original researchers.

You read it, raced to ATS to post it, and never looked back. I mean, who needs to research for facts when some lughead simple-minded pea brain already put it all together for you in one big article?

I think you're a bit hasty. Go over the article and hunt the original research. It's quite interesting and doesn't actually say what some people appear to think it says.

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

Thanks for the reply and posting a link.

I think an under-discussed part of the equation is that the mass shooters researched other mass shootings and looked to them for validation (according to the interview data and forensic data (about researching mass shootings) from the shooter's electronic devices - somewhat similar to the cluster suicide data that we see.

It's interesting, though, that it just happens in America and not other countries (such as Britain, where prescriptions are easier to get and far cheaper than in the US.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join