It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX's Starship Exploded in Texas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The Aliens clearly don’t want us in space where mankind can threaten more civilized populations. I don’t blame them.

edit on 2019/11/20 by Metallicus because: Clarit

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
After the explosion, did anyone notice the face on the tank about a third of the way down? Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. LOL

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

They just don't like Elon.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: Chance321

Appears to have been a pressure test.

www.engadget.com...

Definitely LN2, then.

Test to failure is normal in aviation.

Update: SpaceX has issued a statement on the test, saying it's not a "serious setback."

The purpose of today's test was to pressurize systems to the max, so the outcome was not completely unexpected. There were no injuries, nor is this a serious setback.

As Elon tweeted, Mk1 served as a valuable manufacturing pathfinder but flight design is quite different. The decision had already been made to not fly this test article and the team is focused on the Mk3 builds, which are designed for orbit.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

The new explosion is another setback, unfortunately, and will cause a significant delay in bringing the Starship to service.

I'm not so sure about significant delays. They released a statement saying they already decided not to flight test Mk1 anyway and were testing the pressure systems to the max on purpose.
May just have been cooperate damage control but they are developing on a very fast pace and Mk2 will be ready very early next year.
If anything this incident significantly increased development risks. If Mk2 works everything is fine. If it blows too it would be very bad.

Edit
Looks like there is some truth to them deciding not to fly Mk1 before it blew up.
This is from before the incident: imgur.com...
Source: www.reddit.com...

And this in unconfirmed but if true external equipment failed, not the vehicle itself. Probably the best case scenario for a incident like this.

RUPTURE UPDATE: Through back channels it has been revealed that MK1 suffered an accidental overpressure to failure. Fuel and oxidizer would typically be loaded to 3 Bar or 43.5 psi~ for densification purposes and flightworthy tanks may be tested to 1.5-2x that value for single time structural proofing. In the case of what happened today the story is that communications errors between the pumps/sensors and remote controls allowed the tanks to be massively and erroneously overpressured to the point of failure, leading to catastrophic rupture. We expect SpaceX in good time to reveal the details, they may explain it was deliberate as big changes in airframe and control surfaces in the succeeding MK series variants are coming.

www.facebook.com...

edit on 20-11-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight
I heard from a SpaceX employee that MK2 is going to be a testing article as well. I think a lot of it has to due with finally having production of the stainless steel sheets they need. As in starting with MK3 there will just be one vertical weld per row of material, and prior to this (mk1 and mk2) they used what ever stainless of the correct thickness they could find.

But that is hearsay anyhow, the employee I talked to could be wrong tomorrow with how quickly stuff changes in their iteration design mentality.

edit:
for reference the sheets that they now have available are going to be pulled off of a roll in such a form that one cut and one weld be needed, then these will be stacked. The current form (mk1 and mk2) have a lot of tiles for each row.
edit on 21-11-2019 by dubiousatworst because: edit noted

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
To make an omelette...

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Definitely LN2, then.

Back in 1960's when Soviet Union was pressure testing Proton booster had a problem

The temperature at that time in Kazakhstan were too cold and water would have froze

The solution was too use a 40% alcohol water solution Aka VODKA to run the tests

Anyone have a straw,,,,,, ??

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

It certainly looks like they made major changes to the development plan and possibly the design itself. Apparently they started scrapping weld rings for Mk2 (or Mk4?) before the incident with Mk1.

posted on Nov, 22 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I told you guys that it looks more like a bomb than a space ship.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join