It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quoting the entire op for no reason

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Does this bother anyone else?

You have an op with multiple paragraphs and maybe a few pictures, and then 4 people on the first page think we all need it recapped above their 8 word response.

Just respond, if we’re in the thread I’d say there’s a pretty good chance we read the op, and if we didn’t why would we then read your quote of it? It’s a waste of space and makes no sense.

Can one of the many perpetrators of this idiocy please explain your reasoning because this is the societal problem that keeps me up at night.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

You have an op with multiple paragraphs and maybe a few pictures, and then 4 people on the first page think we all need it recapped above their 8 word response.

Just respond, if we’re in the thread I’d say there’s a pretty good chance we read the op, and if we didn’t why would we then read your quote of it? It’s a waste of space and makes no sense.

Can one of the many perpetrators of this idiocy please explain your reasoning because this is the societal problem that keeps me up at night.

Doesn’t bother me.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Yeah, that is a drag.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I never do this so am afraid I can't explain why people do it...

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

The only reason to quote the post I can think of is because your think the OP may edit it after something is pointed out.

This is only if no one has quoted it before you. Most of the time you can just post a snip of the quote.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Hate it

I agree

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Check the joining date. Sometimes people are just too new to have learned the difference between "quote" and "reply".

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

It's for us old folks that maybe forgot what we just read and need the reference

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Snip the part of the OP you're responding to.

At least that's what I try to do.

Otherwise, with multiple replies it gets confusing who is replying to which post by whom.

That infuriates me more.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

A lot of members shorten the quote so their replies can reference the OP directly to point out things which they didn’t agree with, or wanted to reference directly without the reader having to scroll up and scroll down, making sure the repliers know what they’re talking about.

It’s for quick reference.

Although, in this case... not so.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Doesn't bother me. It can be somewhat difficult to follow exactly what post someone else is replying to if they don't quote. And if you're on page... whatever... it's nice to see the opening post to refresh your memory. Having to page back multiple times to remember what the OP said is more than a bit annoying. Once a thread reaches multiple pages and all you see is "a reply to: Poster" but said Poster has multiple other posts, knowing WHICH post in the long line of them is being replied to (if there is no accompanying quote) is a pain.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

explain

I don't care, but the site owner does, and by extension, the moderators care.

Large quotes take up a lot of data space that isn't necessary.
edit on b000000302019-11-20T12:02:05-06:0012America/ChicagoWed, 20 Nov 2019 12:02:05 -06001200000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

When it says “a reply to: (member name)”

You just click on the members name and it shows you the exact post they were replying too.
edit on 20-11-2019 by Quantumgamer1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Need rule on short posts to quoted OP.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Does...

Does what?

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Does...

Does what?

He said-

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

TL : DR

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

on VERY rare occassions - i feel compelled to quote an entire OP or post - IF the edit window is still " open " - simply because - i require evidence that " that " is what they really posted

otherise - i parse it down to the sentence i wish to address

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

If you hit reply, it still keeps that comment right above the text box for your post. You can still go up and grab pieces.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It's for us old folks that maybe forgot what we just read and need the reference
a reply to: JAGStorm
Dang, how old are you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join