It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we have Kippers for breakfast...Mummy dear, Mummy dear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I was standing in front of the cupboard a bit ago and I noticed a stack of cans of kippers (love 'em!). I thought to myself...you know, I could probably eat one of those for breakfast!.

THEN...the Supertramp song 'Breakfast in America' popped, inextricably, into my head. (now I'll be humming that all day...ugh)

And, I started wondering...how many people really eat kippers for breakfast?

Do you eat kippers for breakfast? If so, what do you eat them with? Toast? Coffee? Straight?

Important question!
edit on 11/20/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

about once a fortnight - unsure on " tinned kippers " - mine = " fresh "

yes i realise that americans use " tinned " for a lot of food prep that bears no relation to what " tinned " means hear [ UK ]

but kippers should be fresh damm it

and yup - on toast

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I love kippers, but mine always came from a can.
I liked them on a sandwich with a bit of Miracle Whip (yes, I am one of those guys).
But I could enjoy them straight out of the can.
Oh and yes.... I have eaten them for breakfast... on toast.

All of this is past tense since I have changed my diet drastically because of gout attacks and kidney problems that limit the medication that I can take for gout.

I did a lot of research on the internet and found that I had been eating things that I previously didn't know were bad for gout.
In June of this year, I cut out all the bad things, including a lot of fishes and seafood, and sugar. I do drink tart cherry and pineapple juice every day. I include whole grains in my diet now.

I miss a lot of things, but I have not had a gout attack since I made the changes and that is worth it.

edit on b000000302019-11-20T07:29:16-06:0007America/ChicagoWed, 20 Nov 2019 07:29:16 -0600700000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I never have but probably would if I had them. I ate sardines for breakfast once. Not bad.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

We don't have fresh kippers in America.

Canned is the only option I've ever seen.

I'd love to try some fresh sometime, but it's not an option here.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
These sound kinda gross, but I would probably eat them again if they were ok for my diet....
cold smoked herring.... guts in.
Bloaters

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

My wife actually makes "kippers" from imature (green) elderberries. Theyre fantastic. Ill toss em in an omelet, with blue cheese, red onion and spinach.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

My wife actually makes "kippers" from imature (green) elderberries. Theyre fantastic. Ill toss em in an omelet, with blue cheese, red onion and spinach.

Not sure how an unripe elderberry can approximate a herring, but I thought unripe elderberries were poisonous.
Wild Edibles

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I eat carrots... lots of them... and babies....

I have a “fairly” unused freezer to give away... all traces of D.N.A.... erm... I meant kerotin... have been totally washed away...

Oh bugger... I meant carotene...

I hate this blumming spell checker!

Honest!

Contact : lags via PM. If I am away DB or Augustus will share technical details of said freezer...
edit on 20-11-2019 by Lagomorphe because: Not guilty sir!

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I have not, but I would. I'll eat sardines for a 'midnight snack' quite a bit

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Trout jerky and Wild Turkey.
Breakfast of champions.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Not sure how an unripe elderberry can approximate a herring, but I thought unripe elderberries were poisonous.
Wild Edibles

maybe they meant 'capers' which is something like a peppercorn.
a kipper is a fish.

I've never had any of the above. I think there's a sardine-like 'kipper snack' in the sardine section.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

not at all, lol...sorry I thought capers! omg thats funny.

Sambucus Nigra, cerulea, mexicana, canadensis all have an insanely low amount of hydra cyanic acid. No where near enough to be toxic like Red Elderberries.

The North American varietals are resistant to light and heatcso using those processes destroys the HCA. However, only truly sensitive people might get a slight stomach ache from fresh, but Ive yet to see it in 30 years.

Kippers as in pickled herring? Well my father and daughter ate/ eat it outa the jar.
edit on 21-11-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
always

new topics

top topics

join