It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

His Dark Materials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Is anyone watching this new series on HBO? I read the books many years ago and have forgotten most of the little details that make or break a series with fans. I did enjoy the books but was put off with the serious "anti-Religion/God is a feeble-minded piece of crap" slant to the stories. Unlike many fans, I didn't think the original movie (Nicole Kidman & Daniel Craig) was terrible considering it was a compilation of the first book that had to be completed in under 2 hrs.

I haven't decided how I feel about the new series yet. I don't feel like the show has done a good job "capturing" the interest of the average viewer who doesn't know the book series. It seems a bit slow and boring.... I would say "underwhelming" but because I like the books so much I'm sticking to the series to see how it turns out overall. I have high hopes since they should be able to do a better job over 10-12 hours in a season instead of 2 for a standard movie....and considering they cast someone as Will Parry they are clearing entering the realm of the 2nd book (The Subtle Knife).

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

I think it'a going to pick up big time next week. The witches and iorek will start getting involved and more of the action aspects. It is such a deep book they needed a bit to establish what the heck is going on.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder

I think it'a going to pick up big time next week. The witches and iorek will start getting involved and more of the action aspects. It is such a deep book they needed a bit to establish what the heck is going on.

I don't disagree with the need to establish the foundation of the story, but *yawn* they could have done a better job. They've hardly talked about the daemons at all until last night's episode....let alone explaining how personal and central they are to the story.

And I didn't think your daemon could follow you to the other world? (This is actually causes Lyra to leave Pan behind when she travels to the other world....) Yet Lord Boreal went through the portal last night with his daemon....

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy just started to watch but watched the movie first to get the plot unfortunately never read the book

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Steveogold
a reply to: CIAGypsy just started to watch but watched the movie first to get the plot unfortunately never read the book

Probably not surprisingly, the books are much deeper and more rich than any movie or series... Worth your time to read them if you can. However, as I mentioned in the OP, be prepared that Phillip Pullman is no fan of religion and they (along with God) is the ultimate bad guy(s) in the books

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I started to watch it, first episode, gonna wait for more episodes. Watching watchmen. Forcing myself atm first 3 episodes are all over the place. But HDM looks like it will be good. Just waiting to be able to binge a few episodes. The man in the high castle I just watched the final season, of that and I am still trying to deal with the ending of that show. Good time for tv shows. đź‘Ť

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think the daemons just can't go to the world of the dead? I read all 5 books in 5 weeks so I'm sure i Went through a bit too quick to remember everything. I do love how they're involving the book of dust.
This is my first ever book to movie/show book, and my initial thought is the books kill it. But it is cool seeing the world i envisioned so deeply.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The book is amazing. Everything is so detailed that you can picture every scenery so perfectly.

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Did pan follow her to the other world in the 2nd book? I think its the land of death pan can't cross. That crazy bird weird vulture says daemons aren't allowed down there. When she visits roger
That's her first time leaving pan.

edit on 11/19/2019 by 5ofineed5aladder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 5ofineed5aladder

You are correct.... I was wrong. I had thought she was unable to take Pan when she crosses the first time and meets Will Parry. However, you were right....it is when she goes to the World of the Dead, she cannot take Pan.

Also found this on the separation of humans & daemons. Pretty interesting page, actually

As dæmons were the physical forms of humans' souls, the separation from their humans would leave humans soulless and extract any real meaning from their lives. Characteristics like creativity and ambition were reduced to minimal levels. They also wouldn't go to the world of the dead. The humans wouldn't be able to tell a story anymore.

hisdarkmaterials.fandom.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ey sol good this is my first time talking about the book or any book with anyone its fun hah.
edit on 11/19/2019 by 5ofineed5aladder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wonder if only people who have ever been to the world of the dead can separate?

posted on Nov, 19 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I started watching the series last week, watching episodes 1&2 in a row then episode 3 two nights ago.

Just this morning I was informed it was related to The Golden Compass. Being years since I'd seen the movie, I hadn't made the connection. So I have been watching with 'virgin eyes' so far and have enjoyed the mysterious nature of the show.

Elements of the show are strange and their secrets are revealed as it goes on which I found makes it interesting viewing. I haven't read the books and therefore I'm able to enjoy it without being tainted by spoilers.

I give it two thumbs up.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy i am a avid reader and never go anywhere without my kobo now i know the author's name i will get onto my kobo store and see what i can find thanks

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I was just contemplating why "we" love to watch shows or movies that are based upon books....along with why we are equally disappointed in them much of the time.

I think we love to see the visual artistry that Hollywood can create from the words of the author. Let's face it....Hollywood has gotten very good at CGI and creating mythological worlds.

What Hollywood is not so great at? The subtle nuances of relationships or interactions with characters or the ability to translate those subtleties from text to screen. Sure, there are some directors who have figured out that magic formula in some very specific cases but, by and large, they miss the boat.

Maybe because they spent their wad on the CGI....who knows.

top topics

join